New Gaming Rig ... maybe a dream but

I use OCZ personally normally for the cheaper deals as they are very stable, but done a few builds for people with Corsair and they are amazing PSU's, I'll get one in the future when funds are good and I next upgrade, very worth keeping. ^

Here's where I am at and what I am currently seriously considering pressing the buy button on:

Coolermaster HAF932
I5 750
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 mobo
Corsair HX750W PSU
Corsair CWCH50 CPU watercooler
2 x Western Digital 500GB 32Mb SATA blah blah HDD's
Arctic Silver paste

EDIT: missed the hdds, and of course some Arctic Silver paste cos god knows where the last lot got to in our move and my many boxes full of old PC bits :wink2:

... and am considering the following card for my wife, although I would obviously do some testing and I hear it overclocks like a proper beast ... the other thing I hear is that with 2 of them in Xfire it should muller a 5870 for way under half its price :present:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 - 1 GB

Not saying where I might have to get this lot from either ... too embarrassing but as I said, my options are limited, they have it all in stock (remember I need a machine ASAP), and their prices are also sadly very good (at least as good as OCUK after exchange rates ... shipping will also undoubtedly be more from OCUK than "this other place"):confused2:

Looks great, the only things I would change is the 2 x Western Digital 500GB 32Mb SATA to 2 X Samsung F3 500gb's or 1 x Samsung F3 1TB.

Other then that just press order now :D

Oh and what RAM? (Or you mentioned it somewhere else?)

Noooo Damo ... Nooo! :poke:
I only do WD these days mate ... been burnt badly by every other manufacturer, and they are my last hope since Maxtor and Seagate got in to bed together (Maxtor [spit]) :nono:

BTW: Memory is 4GB (2x2GB) sticks of Gskill F2-8500CL5

Thanks once more for the info mate ... and not to be too much of a nit picker but I quickly skimmed those tests and I do have two thoughts/comments about them:

... the Samsung they use is a 1TB drive, the WD is a 2TB drive - the response of the 2TB is obviously going to be slower than a 1TB drive (esp assuming they have the same cache size) ... EDIT2: ... OK the cache size is twice as much on the WD, but still, there is a hell of a lot more sectors to access and manage on a 2TB disc, which again is gonna slow it down a fair ol bit ... mechanical parts and all that.

The difference between the two is very marginal in most tests, and in some tests which probably represent a high percentage of how we access our discs (like random reads and writes) it looks to me like the WD is actually quicker :shock:

Not really a true comparison and at the end of the day ... I don't trust Samsung still, I also want 2x 500GB instead of one 1TB drive (more performance tuning options, esp pagefile being separated from windows and apps) so WD blacks it is :D

EDIT: BTW OCUK were bloody useless today - I put in a webnote, asked them for availability, shipping costs and their best price on all that kit plus and an answer this morning if possible ... the following answer came tonight at around 6pm:
"Thank you for webnote.
The item is still out of stock and we do not have a confirmed ETA. If you would like to contact us through the order webnotes system or call 0871 910 910 1 we will be happy to progress your order."

:confused:

Looks like my undisclosed but very cheap, mainstream, international online shopping giant with all products ready to ship is gonna get the order then :sad:

... big scary moment about to happen as I press the "buy now" button [gulp]

... although not as scary as when my wife and the bank manager sees what I did to our account :laugh:

There's 500gb tests to, I will find another review. I've got 1 F3 500 and 1 F1 500, also got a couple of WD drives in here. But to put it simple the F3 is simply faster while being cheaper 500 or 1tb version. I just don't think it's logical to spend more money on a drive that's a bit slower "overall". Your newly planned rig really deserves a SSD but the price is to high on them so you should at least get one of the fastest HDD's out there in the F3 for the space you want.

I've never had any Samsung drives fail on me(Touches wood) But I have had 2 WD's go on me so in my own experience I trust Samsung's a bit more.

But the choice is of course yours and the WD's will do the job.

Good luck either way and post some benchmarks when it's done!

SSD will have to wait - can't justify nor afford the price of them yet, despite their obvious speed advantages.

On your other point of saving money:
I can get a WD Black 500GB for less than €50, which will bring me a bit more speed as I said cos I can distribute disk IO for stuff like page files and scratch disks in photoshop etc to different drives ...
If I get one Samsung, in an isolated read write situation it might be quicker, but I cannot distribute the load with just one disc. That means I have to buy two if I wish to do this and increase overall system performance, and the 750GB discs are another €15 or €20 each on top of the 500GB WD's ... so yes I will have more HDD space, but I still need to spend another €30 to €40 to be faster overall, which I don't want to do right now :wink2:

... at least that is my thoughts on the matter and ... if one 500GB drive fails its less data and replacement costs than than if a 1TB drive fails (which it is maybe more likely too if its is bearing all the load too :p :D)

Well I did the dirty deed this afternoon, I phoned and spoke to the nice chap at OCUK but he didn't really come down as much as I would have liked on price, he did drop a bit on the CPU and RAM and did free Next Day delivery and I do get a free copy of DiRT 2 with the CPU which is £30 I would have spent anyway. Prices seem to be on the up, the Corsair PSU went up £5 today and the F3 HD by about £6.

I've never really been keen on WD drives myself, I had a 500GB MyBook Premium ES fail on me last year. My Brother always swore by WD but in the time I've been running problem free IBM\Hitachi and Seagate drives he has had several failures with his WD's. Apart from the MyBook I have only ever had one drive (a Maxtor) fail in 18 years of building and using PC's. Having said that, My 750GB Samsung F1 is playing up a bit at the minute, it works fine in XP and has done for a few months, however the system will freeze if I read or write anything over a few GB's in Win7 64-bit Final, the other 3 HD's work fine. When the system freezes I have to reset and then the drive doesn't show up in POST or Windows, I have to completely power off to get it recognised again, all diag tools seem to give it a clean bill of health. I am still giving the F3 the benefit of doubt though and I can always RMA the F1 when\if I figure out what is wrong.

My Router turned up today but I'm not a happy chappy. It was purchased on AmazonUK but it was via a third party reseller, AVIDES Media AG in Germany where it was despatched from. When I opened the box it has a Euro\German two pin PSU and so can't be used in UK, at least not without an adapter. I phoned Netgear who said "nothing to do with us Gov, contact AmazonUK", I did and they said "nothing to do with us Gov, contact AVIDES Media AG". I have fired emails off to all 3 of 'em and one of 'em better send me the damn PSU!

Which AS paste are you going for Lee, I've gone for MX-3?

On the subject of SSD's http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=31275&catid=2 this is another reason NOT to buy SSD just now, things seem to be moving rapidly in this market. It is a reason to ensure if you're buying a mobo now to get one with SATA 6.0.

Regards

Deal is done here too [time for a stiff drink] ... should be here in 24-48 hours - ohh my kids are never gonna see me now are they :p

BTW ... I just went for old classic AS5 mate ... main reason - I couldn't get anything else from where I was ordering my kit so I just hit "Buy" and moved on without too much concern :wink2: :laugh:

EDIT: might try to do a benchmark / comparison between the 5770 and the 2x8800gt's in SLi ... could be interesting methinks, but am guessing wildly that my 2x8800GT's should still have the edge!??

Nice one Lee, hope it's all OK for ya.

I'm sticking with my 8800GTS-512 until Fermi arrives but I will be interested to see if I get any gains as the Crosshair is only PCIe V1.0 where as the new mobo will be 2.0, in theory it doubles the bandwidth but does it in the real world?

All my stuff just arrived for a new gaming rig and will be building it over the next few days. I went with the 920 for a couple reasons. The main reason is future proofing to the greatest extent. Someone mentioned to me that the 1366 boards will accommodate Intel's iCore 9 series when it arrives someday. The other reason is that Microcenter sells them for $199.99 on walk-in orders. They also sell the iCore 5 for $50. less. This is only good of course if you live near a Microcenter store.

... and of course if you live in the USA :p

RE: graphics cards - gonna test em both - whichever is the quickest/best card setup, I will keep it :wink2:

Guess what I forgot to put in the order ... blimmin DVD drive :doh:
Trip into town this morning is required I guess :rolleyes:

I think I may have just spotted a rather major screw up with my order ...
... the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 only mentions support for dual DDR3 sticks ... the sticks I have and intended to use are DDR2 :eek:

Gskill PK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

... omitted to check this in amongst all the rest of the facts and figures :doh:

Suggestions on a postcard please ... :rolleyes:

Just been looking around and can get some Gskill Ripjaws F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH for around €100 ... seems like a reasonable deal.
~EDIT~Just got to break the news to my wife now that I screwed up and need to spend more pennies :worship:

Will have to ring in the morning and see how much overnight shipping will be, cos the chances of landing anything like this locally are minimal to none existent!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 248 13.5%