New FSR President: John-Eric Saxen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very encouraging to see so many suggestions here already, honestly this is already more ideas than ever saw daylight on our internal Club forums during the past year. Of course I don't see all of these things usable as such, but the main point is to establish a discussion here.

Also I read that isnt the same judgement in therms of penalties comparing WC with WS/WT. For me the drivers are the same, if you dont judge everybody equal you arent fair, cause I found myself sometimes asking the race director why something was penalized like that and the answer was, if it was WC surely the penalty should been another one. If you read the rulebook, its explained that the judgement wont be the same for WS and WT, a thing that personally I dont like much.

Also would be great when the post race checks are posted in the forums attached the exact rule that says that is illegal. Just to know what exactly we did wrong and also for Race Directors to show people they are objective cause some people think they are biased.

For example, this (directors biased) is something I feel is a terrible misconception which probably originates from some YouTube comments and the fact that Huis/Precision has won nearly every race. But it's good that it was brought up now. I feel that our directors have done a super job (you don't have to include me there). I don't think there is any league in the world where the directors would review the race with the same detail and efficiency. And regarding biased, the decisions that have been overturned by COA this year can be counted by fingers of one hand; this should tell something.

Regarding the judgements between WC/WS/WT, the rulebook is on purpose left a bit open for interpretation, because it's impossible to cover each incident by a rule. This also means that the interpretation might be different between WC/WS/WT, we are all humans and the director makes an independent decision regardless of what has been decided in another category. However, standard penalties such as penalty for pit exit, etc, should remain consistent between all leagues.

Regarding the broadcasts, it's simple to agree that the content needs improving. The technical level is already good. We actually had a brief pre-race show in some 2010 brodcasts, for example this one. There is no reason we can't do it again. We have already plenty of talent working with the broadcasts and videos, including Jaakko, Sam, Scott, Carlos, etc. What remains is to better coordinate the efforts of the broadcasting team. Of course having one Adebisi would not hurt, but considering the work hours he did FRS already owes him a lot for his efforts during 2010-2012, more than our Club account balance is :).

Anyway these ideas here have reinforced my thoughts that the Club board operation has not been transparent enough in the past. Probably there is great talent in the community that has been underutilized, simply because they don't really know how to apply for a position or how our Club works. I'll start the recruiting process today by adding work descriptions for the post that are currently Vacant, so anyone can apply for them by PM'ing me.

To have more clear broadcast everyone should make out-laps, that is what we introduced after a few broadcasts, because it is pretty ugly to watch when someone do ESC, for viewers.

+1

It's good to see people sharing their view about FSR, I hope more people will jump here and contribute :)

I want to add something here. Obviously we always have to try to get sponsors and increase prizes etc, but we cannot look to unrealistic targets. Gran Turismo saga sells 10 million copies per game, so for obvious reasons it's much easier for them to organize big events. Also as game developers, they have contact with car manufacturers and/or racing teams.

iRacing prize pot is roughly x3 bigger than ours, but again they have 40k subscribers who pay for everything (online suscription, cars, tracks, hosted sessions...).

Im totally agree with u David, I know the difficulty, ofc we cant compare with Gran Turismo, cos is so commercial and popular semisim, but, I think we can improve our image. We aren't 10 millions neither we paid for all like iRacing guys, but the idea is to emphasize our strengths, our weaknesses we know it.

We must sell a real simulator, something different, something better than GT or F12013. Other games have different strengths (players, graphics, etc..), But we have the essence of driving. You have to sell it, and somehow we are not lying...

On the other hand, I think to do something more real for this competition also provides an image of professionalism. Things like real trophies, some annual gala (perhaps too hard) or even try some agreement that allows a test with real racing car, could be great. Sounds so optimistic, but I see in Spain championship which u can win a test with real car, so...we're the best in the world, isnt easier?

Sounds so optimistic, but I see in Spain championship which u can win a test with real car, so...we're the best in the world, isnt easier?

Yes and no. Sometimes being more popular doesn't mean it's easier to get such deals... sometimes what really matters is having "a good contact". Well, basically almost always... if you have that contact, then being big and popular will make things easier, for sure.

So, if any of you have good contacts with racing teams, please let me know :D

Congratulation to John and thanks to Johannes for his work ;)

I think that staff work is already very good; of course there can be improvements, but I think it's just a matter of free time, free time that staff give us to race at probably max level...in the world (like Jeremy Clarkson says haha).

In this moment I have only some suggestions:
- I came from an italian league (F1-Fullsim) that has live marshalls and appeals (but just one level; we have COA too); I think that live marshalls can be very important, but as I wrote I think it's only a time issue.
- I think Esc button have to be banned (if you press it, you are retired from that session, even from warm-up); I know that it can brings traffic/crash problems, but I think that Esc option isn't very "sim" racing at the moment.
- About broadcasts, before write about quality improvements, I think we have to write about having it for every race (10/15 this year in WT).

Thanks for your time ;), bb

My suggestion is simple, FSR is basically for the European market with very hard time difference for anyone in America to join. I can say that only in south america there are at least 6 different leagues with 15+ drivers each that would join FSR American Version. And i haven-t even consider the possible drivers that could join from the US.

The truth is FSR is very popular but impossible to enter not just for the lack of information and clarity, but also the WC drivers are spread through all the leagues, this is intimidating to a lot of guys.

Why Amercian version? In FSR there are some south american and american guys, also australian. The good WC drivers drive in WC the others just drive because someone is missing that race and someone has to race for them.

since are looking for things to improve the Leagues social spirit, how about we organise a FSR Meet

This is not a bad idea as such. The problem is that FSR is quite geographically spread and most of the drivers tend to stick with their teams rather than think of FSR as a whole; the community is not that close together at the moment. But if there is someone interested in organizing this type of event, feel free to inform me.

Are there going to be final WC highlights of the season?

Scott told me recently he is targeting to finish those in the next couple of weeks. Delays like this should get minimized once we get a proper multimedia team running, at moment it's basically Scott and Jaakko doing everything.

In SRZ they do very well the interviews after the race, while the interview is on they put the best moments of that single driver when he is interviewed.

This was discussed in the TOA last winter, the WC teams rejected the idea of having "forced driver presence" in post-race interviews. Hopefully we'll come up with something for next year...

In this moment I have only some suggestions:
- I came from an italian league (F1-Fullsim) that has live marshalls and appeals (but just one level; we have COA too); I think that live marshalls can be very important, but as I wrote I think it's only a time issue.
- I think Esc button have to be banned (if you press it, you are retired from that session, even from warm-up); I know that it can brings traffic/crash problems, but I think that Esc option isn't very "sim" racing at the moment.

Live marshaling is somewhat difficult (has been trialed in FSR winter season 2009 and it caused problems...). For example in F1 they have 3 persons deciding things live with every possible angle available, yet they get it wrong from time to time. Also this would require a system where the driver could in an easy way inform the director that he wants an incident to be looked at. If things worked ideally I am for having live marshalling. Difficult in practise.

The ESC button rule sounds a bit harsh (thinking about the amount of DQ situations this would create in WT with rookies). Unless the game/server could be set up in such way that pressing ESC during a session would be disallowed. I'll be in contact with the devs regarding this.

WC Sunday 17:00 GMT
WS Saturday 18:00 GMT
WT Sunday 12:00 GMT

I agree with Luis. It would be good to reschedule and to start later to be better for North and South America.

About the FSR meet, let's do it, I suggest every team to send 1 driver to represent and to make conversation in Skype I prefer :)

In this thread there are many things to think about, which is not correct the way how discuss over the rules I think. You guys should start from the first point of something, to decide what you are gonna do, whether will change it or not and then move to the second point.

Talking about race times, this is what I proposed internally in 2012 when I became president:

WT - 20:00 GMT on Friday
WS - 14:00 GMT on Saturday
WC - 18:00 GMT on Saturday

The idea is to have a free day on the weekend (Sunday). Having WC on Saturday should make life easier for aussies; it's still not an optimal time for them, but at least they have Sunday to rest/sleep more.

I don't think Friday time would be a problem, even if it's late for "FSR standards", but FSR Pro series in 2009 were quite popular, and had a very similar time start, if not the same (but on Saturday).

Obviously TOA will turn down any interesting proposal, but I wanted to share my thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%