New Formula One Team in the Works, Backed by Chinese Money?

Formula 1 has always been very popular in China. For example many of my Chinese female friends have their favorite F1 drivers, and they go to Shanghai to watch the race. To attract more young people the tickets for local students to go watch the Chinese Grand Prix are very reasonably priced (~$50). China is also constructing race tracks around many major cities (although population is ridiculous), purchasing race track overseas and send people to learn race track/racing school management (see http://www.utahmotorsportscampus.com/ in the "Community Partnership" section), despite the fact that performance-oriented road cars are constantly getting hit by more and more strict emission and fuel consumption rules (the GT86/BRZ is officially no longer imported, and the new MX5 Miata convertible is not officially imported, because their fuel consumption exceeds the new limit, which is frankly ridiculous). Having a new F1 team backed up by Chinese money will definitely make motorsports even more popular among Chinese people.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a18000/china-the-next-big-stage-for-auto-racing/

China? WTF? After the way they treated the Koreans, I'd never get in bed with F1 if I were in Asia.
Don't be ridiculous. You are just way uninformed of the actual news, and way off-topic.

Never say never, especially where China is concerned.
As for the other 'rumours', Porsche are seemingly entrenched in LMP1, Audi/VW/Skoda the one company(Last time I looked!), Alfa might turn up but IIRC they seem to be locked into Touring Cars at this point in time.
Be nice if China sunk a very large amount of $$$$ into F1, it might stop them attempting to buy so much of Oz!

Never say never, especially where China is concerned.
As for the other 'rumours', Porsche are seemingly entrenched in LMP1, Audi/VW/Skoda the one company(Last time I looked!), Alfa might turn up but IIRC they seem to be locked into Touring Cars at this point in time.
Be nice if China sunk a very large amount of $$$$ into F1, it might stop them attempting to buy so much of Oz!
Porsche and Lamborghini is VW, Skoda, Audi aswell

The makers of this entry in Formula E (NextEv) are from China. And, they have apparently been linked with Renault in the past, who also happen to been looking for a 3rd customer. I can imagine this be our contender for the F1 bid. And I think this teal blue would look great among the other cars, as well.

nextev-1.jpg

I think that the 11Th team it would be Toyota.
Or Porsche. Because I listened in the last 24H Le Mans, that Porsche could leave the WEC for the next season...

Considering the less than stellar record of Porsche in F1 I think not.
The 1.5 era was not very kind to their purpose built flat 8 car and the flat 4 was only an ex F2 stop gap.
While the TAG badged turbo V6 has an outstanding record it was a contract built design to MacLaren specifications.
When Alan Jenkins received the first set of engineering drawings of the 3.5 V12 commissioned for Footwork he admitted to thinking they had been enlarged!
Joining a pair of 'TAG' V6 blocks together resulted in a heavy, oversize and thirsty V12, epic fail!
Maybe the present hybrids would be a better fit, but only if Porsche were an engine supplier, not a factory team.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 305 13.0%