DiRT Rally New FFB patch.

o you may have noticed a small patch for DiRT Rally release today and we are pleased to say that yes... this is the FFB update (otherwise known as v0.4.5).

This latest update has been built off the back of your feedback since launch; it will change how the game communicates to you through your wheel or pad and make everything feel much more intuitive.

Alongside that we’ve also added a whole suite of advanced wheel options to help you fine tune your set up. You can read more info about what we’ve done here.

We’re also pleased to say we’ve included a new batch of supported wheels. If your wheel isn’t on the list don’t worry, we are continuing to work our way down the list and we’ll be adding more as DiRT Rally’s Early Access continues.
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech Formula Force EX
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS F1 Racing Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS
  • Thrustmaster TX 458
  • Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB
  • Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
  • Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel (keyboard required for some controls)
As ever thank you again for your support, we really hope you enjoy this latest update.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a experience with one a few years ago.

Yes its not totally realistic, but for a game its getting there. :)I quite like the loose feel on gravel and the amount of micro inputs you need. Tarmac though is a little bit off imo. The tyres grip far too fast and don't seem to loose traction easily, even with harsh inputs.

But I also read tarmac physics or road feel isn't finished yet.

Yes its not totally realistic, but for a game its getting there. :)I quite like the loose feel on gravel and the amount of micro inputs you need. Tarmac though is a little bit off imo. The tyres grip far too fast and don't seem to loose traction easily, even with harsh inputs.

I just wanted to know if there is a difference between a normal car and a rally car steering wise ?

My brother who isn't a sim nut like me tried DR and said it felt really strange compared to AC and RBR. He's not a gamer but he really liked AC because it felt like driving "a real car" :D

I mean it's just basic physics that the wheel pulls to the center if you drive straight ! That is if rally cars use the same type of steering technique as normal cars do which I believe they do.

I managed to get a workable setup with the new FFB and it feels pretty good now but I miss the center pull that my real car have.

Tarmac feels very bland IMHO and zero road feel but hopefully they are working on it.

That's odd. The T300 should be about equal to the T500. What settings are you running in the TM driver?
I have now had time to run DiRT Rally since the patch with both my T300 and T500. They do feel different, and they do need different settings. I ended up trying to get a similar feel with both, and this is what I concluded:

Driver: T300@75/100/100/0/0, T500@60/100/100/0/0
Self Aligning Torque: T300@60%, T500@65%
Wheel/Tyre Friction: (see not below) : 0% on both
Suspension: T300@65%, T500@75% (for a similar gravel vibration feel)
Tyre Slip: T300 and T500 around the same (I tried between 65%-85%, not a huge difference)
Collision: T300@70%, T500@100% (I found I needed this higher on the T500 due to the inherent damping muddying the crispness slightly)
Soft Lock: Not sure it matters much, I tried matching it to SAT or 100%, didn't really notice a difference

Note on Friction: The wheel is harder to turn when the car is travelling slowly (seems more like a built-in physics effect than a gradual emergent behaviour) and if you are switching around between friction settings while not testing turning the wheel at equivalent speeds you can get confused as to whether friction effects do anything when Damping is off in drivers. I have done more testing now and agree completely that friction is irrelevant unless you having damping turned on in drivers, but the wheel does feel easier or harder to turn in game even with friction turned off depending on speed.

Last edited:
I have now had time to run DiRT Rally since the patch with both my T300 and T500. They do feel different, and they do need different settings. I ended up trying to get a similar feel with both, and this is what I concluded:

Driver: T300@75/100/100/0/0, T500@60/100/100/0/0
Self Aligning Torque: T300@60%, T500@65%
Wheel/Tyre Friction: (see not below) : 0% on both
Suspension: T300@65%, T500@75% (for a similar gravel vibration feel)
Tyre Slip: T300 and T500 around the same (I tried between 65%-85%, not a huge difference)
Collision: T300@70%, T500@100% (I found I needed this higher on the T500 due to the inherent damping muddying the crispness slightly)
Soft Lock: Not sure it matters much, I tried matching it to SAT or 100%, didn't really notice a difference

Note on Friction: The wheel is harder to turn when the car is travelling slowly (seems more like a built-in physics effect than a gradual emergent behaviour) and if you are switching around between friction settings while not testing turning the wheel at equivalent speeds you can get confused as to whether friction effects do anything when Damping is off in drivers. I have done more testing now and agree completely that friction is irrelevant unless you having damping turned on in drivers, but the wheel does feel easier or harder to turn in game even with friction turned off depending on speed.

Interesting!

I would like the FFB to behave different when comparing the older cars without power steering and the modern ones with power steering. The older cars should be VERY heavy when standing still but get more and more light as you start rolling. I did point out this to the devs and they did take note.

What I like about old rfactor with real feel is the feel when standing still, you turn the wheel and when you stop it flexes back a small bit towards the center.

Turned damper on in the driver to see what it's about. Trying either of the friction effects in game, even at 150 there's very little happening. Either my computer and wheel are so completely messed up as to not register these things, or I think some people are exaggerating a bit with how they're going on and on about how great and detailed this new ffb is and how they can tell every little thing the car is doing. Not so much here, but on the Steam forums.

Tried it a bit more earlier and confirmed what I thought yesterday and that's is the SAT is wacky. It feels like it lags compared to what you're doing with the wheel. Feels completely awkward. I can control the car much better with ffb turned off altogether.

Wheel friction and tire friction only have an effect if you have damper activated in the TM driver. I bet your is set at zero as mine was ;)
That was my thought as well, so increased them all to 100% for a (pardon the pun) quick and dirty test, still nothing from those effects.....weird, oh well, hopefully I will figure it out soon enough :)

Back with my settings.

Using a G27

Profiler:
Overall Effect 100%
Spring Effect 0%
Damper Effect 100% (Could go to 90%)

Centering checked
Centering Strenght 0%
900°
Allow the game to change checked.

Ingame:
95%
75% (Could go to 65%)
75% (Could go to 65%)
95%
95%
95%
150% (Still kinda soft, pCars has a better one.)

I guess that experience was in a dream since you can't explain further in detail.

Keep on dreaming M8 :D

I guess that experience was in a dream since you can't explain further in detail.

Keep on dreaming M8 :D

WTF!!!!

i did this experience and drove that yellow impreza!!.. Not a WRC like i said i know. that was a mistake. Its a Group N impreza.

http://www.billgwynne.com

What is wrong with you people! you cant compare bloody ffb from a track game to a rally game.. geez

Last edited:
WTF!!!!

i did this experience and drove that yellow impreza!!.. Not a WRC like i said i know. that was a mistake. Its a Group N impreza.

What is wrong with you people! you cant compare bloody ffb from a track game to a rally game.. geez

Chill Bro :p

We all want to be real rally drivers and obviously some of us (not naming names :rolleyes:) want it so bad they imagine that they actually driven a real rally car even if they haven't :laugh:

Sure I would have immortalized such an event for the sake of proving it for my doubtful sim mates :D

But you did forget your camera that day didn't you :laugh:

WTF!!!!

But I think that's what you're trying to do Dan in your quest for the ultimate ffb.

gonna have to have faith girl :)
You sure she's a girl?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back