New Fanatec wheel for the CSW base released

1002900_641010229308310_9109002893314204826_n.png
Quite a hefty price tag at $350 but then again a real wheel in machined aluminum and real leather won't be cheap either. Edit: link to announcement: https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec/ph...1010229308310/?type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Definitely a cool modular system.

Now the question is whether we can customize which modules we get (paddles, number and locations of buttons, multiple rotary buttons, etc), and whether the rims are replaceable.

Upvote 0
I like that Fanatec is committing to so many interchangeable rims for there wheels at various price tiers. I also like the hints that they may be working on a direct drive wheel that will be their flagship wheel, above the CSW. Maybe Fanatec is starting to get focused again after a period of silence dissatisifaction from the community.

I do think $349 is too much money for each one though. I would rather see that price point around $199.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blkout what hints are they given about a direct drive wheel ?
i havent picked up on it.
the lastest wheel is nice but i dont like all those ps3/ps4 buttons mounted behind the wheel.
but i could deal with it :p atleast we could fit aftermarket rims to it.

Upvote 0
the lastest wheel is nice but i dont like all those ps3/ps4 buttons mounted behind the wheel.

i think I read it on the iRacing forum. I'll check when I get home. I'm paraphrasing but Thomas said something about direct drive is the way to go and that they are working on several wheels at different price points and that a direct drive wheel would cost more than the CSW.

Upvote 0
Brian, its just the way forward I believe. With mounting pressure from SimXperience's Accuforce wheel, Fanatec is simply doing what they have to do to keep up. Direct drive probably is the future if the price gets low enough. I welcome manufacturers that want to use direct drive technology since it will drive the prices down. As I understood Thomas though, they aren't going to discontinue the CSW, it just likely won't be their top of the line wheel anymore.

Upvote 0
From the iRacing forums:
Like mentioned before, we are working on a product line below the CSW and above the CSW. Direct drive is the way to go and it should be no problem for us to offer a wheel which offers better functionality at a lower price. But it will still be significantly above the CSW.

Of course all rims will be compatible to all base units so that our modular sytem makes most sense and the user can decide between three different quality and price levels in all product categories: wheel base, wheel rim, pedals, shifter, cockpits.

You can upgrade at any time and don't need to spend all the money at one time.
It will still take quite some time to finish it as we have other projects with higher priority at the moment. But rest assured that although such a base [direct drive] will not be cheap and will be at the level of the competition, we will make it the most attractive out there.
Wouldn't call it a kick in the teeth for CSW owners, what used to be top tier will become mid tier. Being modular across all three bases is a good idea from the point of view of having an upgrade path.

Upvote 0
so it ll be a servomotor wheel then?
awesome, and if reliability is better than the csw, oh boy!!
would be coul if the csw rims would fit on that base
that would be a certain buy for me

any info on how far that's still away? 3 years, five years?

Upvote 0
So what about another GT style rim with neutral branding and our modular button system?

The GT rim also shows the possibility to mount any smartphone (not included) on the (optiona) mobile phone holder. There are many free or paid apps available for Android or iPhone and they work with several important PC racing simulations like pCars, iRacing, Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2.

Now the biggest difference to other solutions is the integrated power supply so you can charge your phone and use it in long races.

Rene Rast shows in the video below how it works.

Available this summer for 349,95 Euro / USD (incl. tax / excl. tax)
ab8ae332afdd3f613e8a1776f7032f.png

Upvote 0
Something about knowing my smart phone might be thrown off the wheel during an intense race session doesn't interest me. I would rather the wheel have a programmable LCD display.

Upvote 0
Something about knowing my smart phone might be thrown off the wheel during an intense race session doesn't interest me. I would rather the wheel have a programmable LCD display.
Just buy a cheapo used Android phone.

With a Rift I expect I'll transition away from that, so I'm still just interested in the modular system.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the link. I for one am puzzled at why this rim is the first to be released. They have far more problems to address then a rim with no buttons to give you a feel of retro racing wth a shifter light on it :cautious:. Coming up with a better motor solution should have been the highest priority on their list.
To complete our drift special we also developed the Drift Rim for ClubSport Wheel.
It is the perfect companion for the ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles and the ClubSport Hand Brake.
  • Perfectly round
  • Smooth leather
  • Lightweight
  • Center position stripes
  • Deep dish
  • Stylish
And just like with any other of the new rims it comes with adjustable buttons, encoder, LED display and adjustable shifter paddles so you can add more functionality (but also weight) if you like without paying anything extra.

Available this summer for 349,95 Euro / USD (incl. tax / excl. tax)

a3be3a57891bdf7fd4a606f05bc712.png

Well, there's our confirmation that all the wheel rims cost the same and have the full functionality.

Might make the drift wheel worthwhile for its light weight, even if you add a dozen buttons and paddles.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 225 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%
  • < 5 years