New Fanatec DD2 setup hopelessly lost

Hi,

I really hope members in this section can help me out.
Purchased a Fanatec DD2 + Formula V2 wheel and Heusinkveld pedals.

Installed the pedals, drivers for the DD2.
In-game, the buttons on the wheel work but it doesn't recognize when I turn the wheel. I calibrated it.

And today I turned it on after hours of trying to set it up and my base started smelling funny. I turned it for a while and now my force feedback isn't working at all. I hope the base didn't get wrecked on the inside.

I'm extremely frustrated because Fanatec refuses to help and I can't seem to figure it out on my own after having spent days and days being stressed out.
How can I set up the wheel, and what is wrong with my FFB? I just did an FFB test and it's acting weird.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
If something smelled funny then something is burnt out, I'd suspect. Is the display still working ? Does it show 'high torque mode' ?

Why would fanatec refuse to help ? Did you buy it new ? Even 2nd hand you could raise a ticket with them?

I've got a DD1. Never had it not recognise the wheel turning.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Display still working, high torque still working as well but no force feedback. I mean the product is a week old and I haven't even raced with it yet. It's a new product.

So I installed the hardware, the drivers, set up the wheel and then went to AMS2 to set up my wheel. Am I missing something along the way? In the game controllers app it does recognize the steering wheel when it turns but somehow my games do not allow me to set up a turning wheel. If I use a button to turn instead of the wheel, it does work. So it is only about the wheel turning left/right not working.

Any idea what I am missing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its damaged I think. Either just a DOA issue or something since.

When you power the base on - the wheel turns both ways slowly by itself to calibrate, then it sorta centers.

Think you're going to have to return it for a replacement.

Just cos the electronics works ie buttons doesn't mean the motor will provide force.

Upvote 0
Which game are we talking about ? You might need to assign the turn left or right in the controls before using it ? I think PC2 and perhaps AMS2 might need a bit of help so they know what to interpret the wheel as to start with....

Upvote 0
Can I just check the wheel is in PC mode (the base has three modes depending on which wheel is connected)... If you do a little googling you can find the key sequence on the wheel buttons which toggle it between modes.... there's PC, Xbox and PS4 potentially.

Upvote 0
Which game are we talking about ? You might need to assign the turn left or right in the controls before using it ? I think PC2 and perhaps AMS2 might need a bit of help so they know what to interpret the wheel as to start with....

Yes I already tried that but when I turn the wheel to assign, nothing happens. When I assign a button, it does work. So turning isn't possible in-game, but the buttons work. This was AMS2, but just tried AMS1 and same problem.

Setting up the wheel and the assigning also doesn't work. I have followed every step I can find on Youtube and in the manual, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait, hold on, your wheel might not be broken. When you open the wheel property page and turn it left or right, can you see the steering axis changing?
And don't do "FFB test", that will scare the crap out of you.

With AMS2, this isn't a Fanatec problem. It's an AMS2/PC2 engine problem.

First, set your wheel FFB strength to a really low value like 5 or 10, if you don't, you could hurt your hands because AMS2 will jerk the wheel back (this happened to me with my SC2).

Second, set your "SEN"/Sensitivity to 300.

Third, before opening AMS2, go to Documents/Games folder and delete the Automobilista 2 folder.

Finally, open AMS 2, do not do "calibrate wheel/pedals", go to the mappings section, double click on steering left/right and turn the wheel slowly left or right, until you get close to the bump stop.

After you get it mapped, map shifting, look left/right etc, pedals, and once they're all mapped, change the Fanatec wheelbase to SEN = Auto, FF = 40-42. And THEN calibrate pedals/wheel.

Upvote 0
Yes, the wheel does turn in the Fanatec Wheel properties menu. (top left)
fanatec setup.png

I am trying to complete the other steps, but I cannot find sensitivity anywhere.

My wheel base is till most likely broken so FFB won't work but if I can get the wheel to operate, that would be awesome!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sensitivity is the degrees of wheel rotation. You can set this using the tuning button on your rim directly or if you have the wheel utility of your screen shot open go to tuning sub menu and you can set it there. Just make sure your doing it on the profile active on your wheel base. If you have never changed this it should still be on preset 1.

Upvote 0
There's a tiny button on your steering wheel, if you press it, the tuning menu will come up.
You know, I should just make a YT video on my channel about this. AMS2 still hasn't fixed this stupid issue.

Upvote 0
@TedBrosby-
@RedBull48
I really appreciate the video! I managed to set up my wheel finally, but I cannot set up my pedals.
So I selected separate and the wheel moved but it didn't detect the pedals (assignment didn't work, calibrate in the other menu also didn't). But they are connected and in the properties Heusinkveld menu, I can see the pedals are being traced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I checked and the pedals were being traced but still couldn't calibrate them.
Somehow when I tried today, it worked! So I can finally race now!

Thanks so much for the help!

Last issue is the Fanatec DD2. The force feedback works when driving, there is no force before I start, even though there was before the incident. I guess it does not matter very much.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• pedals working.png
    pedals working.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Hi,

I checked and the pedals were being traced but still couldn't calibrate them.
Somehow when I tried today, it worked! So I can finally race now!

Thanks so much for the help!

Last issue is the Fanatec DD2. The force feedback works when driving, there is no force before I start, even though there was before the incident. I guess it does not matter very much.

Thanks again!

That's because AMS2 still has some inconsistent pit exiting behavior.
You're talking about when you auto drive to exit the pits right?
Try a different course like Imola. From what I recall, Brands Hatch and Panorama (Bathurst) will auto drive you out of the pits and there's no FFB until player steering turns on, but Imola will let you drive yourself out of the pits.

I love AMS2 but it has some bugs to work out.

Also, make sure to disable USB sleep in Energy Saver settings in Windows 10. HE pedals are amazing, but they act weird when Windows goes to sleep and a quick unplug/plug will get them sorted.

Enjoy the drive, buddy. Let me know if you have any other issues, you got my email.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing