DiRT Rally 2.0 New DiRT Rally 2.0 Roadbook: Recording Co-Driver Calls

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released a second 'DiRT 2.0 Roadbook' earlier today, with a focus on the recording methods of co-driver calls employed with the new simulation...

Much has been made of the potential return to form for the Codemasters DiRT franchise with the upcoming DiRT Rally 2.0, and it looks like Codies are certainly working hard to capture those small details that could potentially mark out this new release as something very special for rally fans.

Bringing in Neil Cole and World Rally Championship winning co-driver Phil Mills for the new title, Codemasters have shown some rather impressive attention to detail in the recording of the all important stage calls for DR 2.0. Strapping Mills to a full D Box motion rig as he blasts around the game stages, Codemasters have spent plenty of effort in trying to replicate the pitch and tone of a real world co-driver as he shouts out the calls from the passenger seat of a rally machine.

DiRT 2.0 Co Driver Call Recording.jpg

Recording each stage a total of three times under different conditions, DiRT Rally 2.0 will utilise different invisible marker points around the stages to prompt the software to engage the appropriate instruction, firmly aiming to give the virtual driver a realistic audio experience behind the wheel.

It really is amazing how much effort Codemasters have put in to getting this important aspect right for the new game, a very positive sign of the level of detail that looks likely to be lavished on DiRT Rally 2.0 when it releases early next year.

You can read the full roadbook release HERE.

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the latest DiRT 2.0 roadbook? Excited to see (hear) the outcome of the recording methods used in co-driver calls? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
If only the rest of the game is as authentic as the pace notes !
I highly doubt it though !
Nevertheless I will buy this Rally game but if it stays on my SSD for very long is another thing !
The only Rally game/sim that haven't left my SSD is RBR !

Sadly the German Co-Driver calls in DiRT Rally 1 were done by three different people who also did it in different styles. I hope these get better this time. I also tried out the English Co-Driver but listening to that one without the help of visible indicators was pretty hard. As far as I know even most professionals get their calls in their mother tongue.

Sadly the German Co-Driver calls in DiRT Rally 1 were done by three different people who also did it in different styles. I hope these get better this time. I also tried out the English Co-Driver but listening to that one without the help of visible indicators was pretty hard. As far as I know even most professionals get their calls in their mother tongue.
Indeed, they should do the job in all languages, it's a shame they get the co driver right only in english. Other previous rally games did it (I don't know about the wrc series), why can't they do it?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%