Featured New DiRT Rally 2.0 Roadbook: Recording Co-Driver Calls

Discussion in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,322
    Codemasters have released a second 'DiRT 2.0 Roadbook' earlier today, with a focus on the recording methods of co-driver calls employed with the new simulation...

Much has been made of the potential return to form for the Codemasters DiRT franchise with the upcoming DiRT Rally 2.0, and it looks like Codies are certainly working hard to capture those small details that could potentially mark out this new release as something very special for rally fans.

Bringing in Neil Cole and World Rally Championship winning co-driver Phil Mills for the new title, Codemasters have shown some rather impressive attention to detail in the recording of the all important stage calls for DR 2.0. Strapping Mills to a full D Box motion rig as he blasts around the game stages, Codemasters have spent plenty of effort in trying to replicate the pitch and tone of a real world co-driver as he shouts out the calls from the passenger seat of a rally machine.

DiRT 2.0 Co Driver Call Recording.jpg

Recording each stage a total of three times under different conditions, DiRT Rally 2.0 will utilise different invisible marker points around the stages to prompt the software to engage the appropriate instruction, firmly aiming to give the virtual driver a realistic audio experience behind the wheel.

It really is amazing how much effort Codemasters have put in to getting this important aspect right for the new game, a very positive sign of the level of detail that looks likely to be lavished on DiRT Rally 2.0 when it releases early next year.

You can read the full roadbook release HERE.

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch
    What do you think of the latest DiRT 2.0 roadbook? Excited to see (hear) the outcome of the recording methods used in co-driver calls? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Love Love x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. delpinsky

delpinsky

Ratings:
    +244
    Intersting!
    For sure this kind of recording should give the co-driver the pathos, the intensity we need.

3. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit

Ratings:
    +16
    I’m getting chills already!

4. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,409
    Same that was used for DiRT Rally pacenotes, which is quite noticeable. Apparently they used it for D4 as well, however, with no pre-made stages, it didn't work the same way.

5. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +580
    ....hmmmm...D-Box motion riggggg....lovely...one can dream....back to reality, this looks like the right approach using the D-Box system to give reality to the pace notes, nice work CM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nick Gregory

Nick Gregory
    Forever a backmarker Premium

Ratings:
    +582
    Still hoping this can be an option.

• Haha Haha x 22
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur

Ratings:
    +461
    Am I the only one finding hilarious that the guy reading the notes is wearing a helmet?:roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 7
  8. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    The reason for him wearing the helmet is explained in the article. (They're recording the calls using the actual equipment they're using in real life, again the same what they were doing in the first game.)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports

Ratings:
    +1,474
    The hemet was one thing.....but the head sock takes it to the next level of realism :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 3
  10. bogani

bogani

Ratings:
    +194
    Well, the intercom where they actually record the sound from is integrated in the helmet so.... yeah.

11. Ole Andreasen

Ole Andreasen
    Hey... wait up! Premium

Ratings:
    +213
    Damn it. FAR too long until Februar 22.
    But I believe it is going to be an AWESOME titler.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rallycameraman

Rallycameraman

Ratings:
    +51
    He's likely wearing his balaclava because it's easier to get the helmet on, and it keeps the inside of his helmet clean too.

I wear my balaclava whenever I wear my helmet when i'm Go Karting at my local track.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. anton_Chez

anton_Chez

Ratings:
    +269
    I died listening to that Aussie co driver video. That's GOLD. I actually thought there was a real mod for it that I'd missed when I saw the post.... :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. 69Harder

69Harder

Ratings:
    +25
    If only the rest of the game is as authentic as the pace notes !
    I highly doubt it though !
    Nevertheless I will buy this Rally game but if it stays on my SSD for very long is another thing !
    The only Rally game/sim that haven't left my SSD is RBR !

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. gamer19

gamer19

Ratings:
    +557
    [​IMG]

Taking pacenotes while driving with gamepad hmm... are they sure this is DiRT Rally 2.0 and not just another DiRT... :(

• Haha Haha x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Koen Verlinde

Koen Verlinde

Ratings:
    +117
    Probably an archive photo of some sorts, considering the box says Dirt 3 which was already way too "loud" for my rallytaste.

17. bogani

bogani

Ratings:
    +194
    I believe that is a pic from when Paul Coleman recorded notes for the original Dirt Rally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RufGTI

RufGTI

Ratings:
    +104
    Sadly the German Co-Driver calls in DiRT Rally 1 were done by three different people who also did it in different styles. I hope these get better this time. I also tried out the English Co-Driver but listening to that one without the help of visible indicators was pretty hard. As far as I know even most professionals get their calls in their mother tongue.

19. roadyroad

roadyroad

Ratings:
    +20
    Indeed, they should do the job in all languages, it's a shame they get the co driver right only in english. Other previous rally games did it (I don't know about the wrc series), why can't they do it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann
    ... usually known as Ernie Premium

Ratings:
    +234
    As i wrote on twitter:
    Run 4 is missing. Motion rig plus VR = Highest stress & immersion #NoVRnoBuy
    :p

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.