New computer - moving games over

Hi all,

I finally upgraded! Yesterday, I resigned my HP laptop from the gaming/simracing world as I booted up my brand-new 27" iMac. Yes, I know, we all hate Macs, but I needed the Macintosh OS. If it's any consolation, partitioned over 60% of the 1TB hard drive to Windows :). Anyway, I have an external hard drive to move some of my games/files across (which I will do manually, rather than by using a backup utility or whatever), but I am not sure about where to put my RACE 07 (Steam), GTL and rFactor folders. I am coming from a Windows Vista 32-bit system and migrating to a Windows 7 64-bit system. Those who have (I think) any 64-bit Windows system will know that there are 2 folders for Programs: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". Does it matter which one my games go in? Are they different?

Thanks,

FM96

x86 is for 32-bit applications, the regular one for 64. I'm not sure they're anything more than a filing system.
Steam will choose the x86 folder to install into, so Race is sorted already. You can backup Race through Steam, BTW.
As far as the others go, I'd put them in a separate 'Games' folder, avoiding the Program files completely.

It's very simple.

If you have Win7x64 make a games folder like this C:/GAMES and install/ copy every thing in there.

You can copy Steam in there and start it or make a shortcut.

Thanks for your answers - I think I'll do the GAMES directory, but judging by your answer Senad, it doesn't really matter?

If you're talking about two Program Files folders, I don't know if it matters or not. Not a Windows guru or anything, I'm just guessing that it probably makes no difference.

If you're talking about a separate folder for games, it could matter, and in some cases it does matter, so go with that just to be on the safe side.

the x86 folder is definitely for the 32 apps, and the other is usually for the 64bit apps. If you are installing a 32bit app like Race07 and Steam, then the default would be in the x86 folder, but you are not restricted to that folder for the install. Most programs are put there as a matter of common convention and with Vista and Windows 7, the User Account Control, or UAC controls the program files folders to prevent malicious software from trying to infect your system. If you are not really worried about that, you can install into other folders to get around the UAC.

This is what Simbin says about it.

''- Install the game outside of any Windows folder (ex: "Programme files" folder).For example, using a "Games" directory in C:\ can solve a lot of potential issues.''

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%