New Build! - Parts list, space planning, etc... Opinions?

Hey guys! I am just getting into sim racing and have ordered a bunch of parts (list below of what I've ordered and what I still have left to order).

Would love your all's input and maybe get some suggestions and guidance on what I have left to order!

I've also included some space planning drawings as I'm putting the sim in my home office. I live in a condo and we don't want to give up our guest bedroom as we have visitors often. Anyways, I drew them up to try to decide if I would have enough space for 35-inch triple monitor setup.

I have also listed my PC specs... Can anyone tell me if my PC is capable of running three 35-inch monitors? Or if I should just stick with 32-inch?

HAVE ORDERED:

PC - Alienware - Aurora R9 Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD

Wheel Base - Fanatec DD2

Formula One Wheel - Fanatec Clubsport Formula V2

Paddles - Fanatec Podium Advanced Paddle Module

Fanatec Podium Hub

Shifter - Fanatec Clubsport SQ V1.5

Pedals - HPP JBV (Can't wait for these!)

Buttkicker Gamer 2

Edit: I decided to upgrade and go with the Cube Controls Formula CSX 2 wheel instead of the Fanatec. Pumped!

NEED TO ORDER:

Monitors -- This one is my biggest question mark still.. I have no idea what my PC is capable of running as I'm new to this and PC gaming in general. I've done some research and I assume I want something curved, with G-Sync? I'm not sure what resolution and refresh rate and all that I need though based on my PC specs.

Edit: I went with 3 of the 34 inch Alienware AW3420DW monitors... Thousand bucks a pop but I think it'll be worth it. They look incredible.

Cockpit -- Waiting to order P1-X. Have my finger on the trigger as soon as they come back in stock. Not sure if I need any accessories though. Probably pedal sliders to adjust pedals (I'll be letting my friends try it out from time to time) and a keyboard tray? Not sure what else I'll need.

Edit: Ordered P1-X in black yesterday!

Regular Steering Wheel -- I plan to do many types of driving (mostly in iRacing but some rally too) and would like to have something more universal than the Formula One wheel.

Seat -- No idea what to get here but I'm in the US so I have to keep that in mind for shipping. Any ideas?

Edit: I ordered the Corbeau FX1 Pro in microsuede black yesterday. Pretty good reviews on it. We'll see.

Monitor mount - I assume anything will work for this as long as it gets the job done. I'll probably just order the one from Sim Lab since I'll be ordering my cockpit from there.

Edit: I got the free-standing triple monitor mount from Sim Lab.

Excited to be apart of this community and to get started racing! Not the best time to get into sim racing as everything is out of stock and taking forever to ship, but either way, I'll get this thing built sooner or later.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.15.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.16.27 PM.png

Last edited:
There are people running 1440p triples on 2080 (Super) and 2080ti, so it's not that it's impossible. It will require something like medium-high settings instead of putting everything on ultra, of course depending on the game. Iracing, if that is what you are planning to play, will be fine.

My research (on RD) suggest that triples @ 3440 x 1440 x 3 is not going to run very well. Can your provide a link to someone using this setup? I'd like to hear their real work experience with such a setup.

Dom

Upvote 0
I suggest you give some serious thoughts to VR. iRacing looks and performs quite well there and unless you have some medical condition, once accustomed to VR makes even the best triple screen setup in the world feel like dated and completely unengaging tech.
What VR goggles would you suggest? The only concern I have is that I've put on a friend's VR goggles before and it just looked somewhat pixelated... like, the resolution just wasn't that good or something. Hope that makes sense? Maybe his are older though when they first came out.

Upvote 0
My research (on RD) suggest that triples @ 3440 x 1440 x 3 is not going to run very well. Can your provide a link to someone using this setup? I'd like to hear their real work experience with such a setup.

Dom

Hi Dom, well, I'm not really a monitor guy as I race in VR only. This is just something I''ve learnt from my friends on my league discord, quite many seem to run 1440p triples for iRacing.

Quick googling brings this test up: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/i9-gtx2080-with-triple-1440p-1080p-performance.391177/

Upvote 0
My research (on RD) suggest that triples @ 3440 x 1440 x 3 is not going to run very well.

Well you have to set your expectations. If you're expecting to have leftover fps with 144 Hz monitors, then you'll be disappointed.

GTX 1080ti or better is fine if your monitors are 60 Hz and you're not playing ACC. RTX 2080ti will let you play ACC on 60 Hz triple monitors at 1440p and put you in 90 Hz territory for other sims. This is for AI grids of 20+ cars; online play will do a bit better.

Upvote 0
Well you have to set your expectations. If you're expecting to have leftover fps with 144 Hz monitors, then you'll be disappointed.

GTX 1080ti or better is fine if your monitors are 60 Hz and you're not playing ACC. RTX 2080ti will let you play ACC on 60 Hz triple monitors at 1440p and put you in 90 Hz territory for other sims. This is for AI grids of 20+ cars; online play will do a bit better.
So what do you guys suggest? Return the AW3420DW monitors and get something else? If so, which ones? Or should I keep the monitors but just put them on certain settings?

Upvote 0
Crikey! I didn't realize you were talking about triple 21:9! That drops the expected fps I quoted by 20-25%.
Ok, so what are my options? I just want to get this setup and get racing with the best experience possible. I bought the best monitors I thought I could get but sounds like they aren't at all what I need. Should I return them when they get here and get something else? What do most people use for triple monitors for sim racing? I'll be playing iRacing and Dirt Rally 2.0.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What VR goggles would you suggest? The only concern I have is that I've put on a friend's VR goggles before and it just looked somewhat pixelated... like, the resolution just wasn't that good or something. Hope that makes sense? Maybe his are older though when they first came out.
For sim racing alone perhaps HP Reverb. While not ideal as a all arounder, it has the best resolution. They announced next version already but the way things work with lockdown it might be a while before it materializes. I am on Odyssey+ myself, great headset but resolution is lower than Reverb.

Upvote 0
I use the Valve Index and absolutely love it. No problems with poor resolution - granted resolution is lower than the best monitors but the immersion of the 3D environment more than makes up for it. The Index is also supremely comfortable, has adjustable IPD (essential for some of us) and has great audio. By far my favourite sim racing purchase.

Upvote 0
Ok, so what are my options? I just want to get this setup and get racing with the best experience possible. I bought the best monitors I thought I could get but sounds like they aren't at all what I need. Should I return them when they get here and get something else? What do most people use for triple monitors for sim racing? I'll be playing iRacing and Dirt Rally 2.0.
athomas625... See my post 50... Display Port 2 and USB4...Some say late 2020/early 2021... not that far off... I'm waiting to get my Ultra Wide 21x9 35" monitor 'til next year... big changes on the horizon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
athomas625... See my post 50... Display Port 2 and USB4...Some say late 2020/early 2021... not that far off... I'm waiting to get my Ultra Wide 21x9 35" monitor 'til next year... big changes on the horizon.
Is that something I'll be able to use with the Alienware monitors I've ordered? I'm wondering if those monitors will at least get the job done (if I can "detune" them enough to where my PC can run it).

Upvote 0
What monitors for a triple screen setup would everyone else have bought if they were me and had my PC specs? Let's keep price out of the equation. I just want to find the best monitors that my PC can power.

Upvote 0
Responding to your post # 52...

AFAIK, no... The ports would be different I believe, both at the monitor end and the video card end. Also new motherboard generation as well.

If you stick to what you have (sounds like you already have the PC), then you need a video card strong enough to feed those 3 big monitors. If you can tolerate lower gaming resolution, then your current card can possibly handle it... but I'd be considering a 2080 or the ti version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what do you guys suggest? Return the AW3420DW monitors and get something else? If so, which ones? Or should I keep the monitors but just put them on certain settings?

You PC setup will be perfect with ONE of those AW3420DW -- keep it, it is an amazing monitor. When I first setup my rig (also high-end like yours and I spent a lot of $$$) I was sure I would want to upgrade to triples. I am now racing for 5 months with a single AW3420DW and I am quite satisfied. Yes, at some point, I will want to do triples, but for now this is just fine.

You are obsessing over many details before you have even tried your existing setup. My advice: build your rib, try the setup with ONE AW3420DW and I am sure this will keep you happy for quite a while. Then, once you have some experience racing, you will know what you want to change.

I added a picture of my rig with the single AW3420DW to give you an idea of the size -- it is a big monitor, if you can get it close to your steering wheel as I have done, it totally fill my field-of-view.

Best and good luck!
Dom

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_090226.jpg
    IMG_20200317_090226.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
You PC setup will be perfect with ONE of those AW3420DW -- keep it, it is an amazing monitor. When I first setup my rig (also high-end like yours and I spent a lot of $$$) I was sure I would want to upgrade to triples. I am now racing for 5 months with a single AW3420DW and I am quite satisfied. Yes, at some point, I will want to do triples, but for now this is just fine.

You are obsessing over many details before you have even tried your existing setup. My advice: build your rib, try the setup with ONE AW3420DW and I am sure this will keep you happy for quite a while. Then, once you have some experience racing, you will know what you want to change.

I added a picture of my rig with the single AW3420DW to give you an idea of the size -- it is a big monitor, if you can get it close to your steering wheel as I have done, it totally fill my field-of-view.

Best and good luck!
Dom

I thought it was too late for him to return the monitors.

Upvote 0

Best and good luck!
Dom
Thank you for that guidance. I guess I have been so dead-set on triples, and didn't even consider just racing with 1 monitor. After seeing yours, I guess that AW3420DW is pretty wide anyways and would more than suffice as a 1 monitor setup.

When I get into a new hobby, I typically go all out and fully commit, because I'm afraid if I don't, then I won't end up upgrading things later... But after hearing your input and thinking about it, I doubt that will be the case with sim racing for me. I've always been obsessed with car games, even on a controller. And I've always been into racing (raced motocross growing up, have always been into cars, and now own an Audi R8 V10 that I have been dying to take to a track. But no free tires and brake replacements like with sim racing :) ).

I am supposed to receive my monitors today. I still don't have any of my other parts I've ordered but I may hook up the monitor and play Dirt Rally 2.0 on it with a controller and see how it looks. Sounds like I will need to send the other 2 monitors back, since it seems even upgrading my graphics card won't do the trick.

Last question, Is it possible to still have the 2 side monitors (maybe a different model than the AW3420DW?) but just have the resolution turned way down on them? Would be nice to still have that peripheral vision but not degrade the quality I'm seeing on the main center monitor... Apologize in advance for the stupid question (this stuff is greek to me), but I really appreciate any clarification on this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For sim racing alone perhaps HP Reverb. While not ideal as a all arounder, it has the best resolution. They announced next version already but the way things work with lockdown it might be a while before it materializes. I am on Odyssey+ myself, great headset but resolution is lower than Reverb.
If I get VR goggles, I would most likely only be using them for sim racing. But, I only say that because I've never been into VR! So who knows. But out of curiosity , why do you feel the HP Reverb isn't ideal as an all-arounder?

Upvote 0
Thank you for that guidance. I guess I have been so dead-set on triples, and didn't even consider just racing with 1 monitor. After seeing yours, I guess that AW3420DW is pretty wide anyways and would more than suffice as a 1 monitor setup.

When I get into a new hobby, I typically go all out and fully commit, because I'm afraid if I don't, then I won't end up upgrading things later... But after hearing your input and thinking about it, I doubt that will be the case with sim racing for me. I've always been obsessed with car games, even on a controller. And I've always been into racing (raced motocross growing up, have always been into cars, and now own an Audi R8 V10 that I have been dying to take to a track. But no free tires and brake replacements like with sim racing :) ).

I am supposed to receive my monitors today. I still don't have any of my other parts I've ordered but I may hook up the monitor and play Dirt Rally 2.0 on it with a controller and see how it looks. Sounds like I will need to send the other 2 monitors back, since it seems even upgrading my graphics card won't do the trick.

Last question, Is it possible to still have the 2 side monitors (maybe a different model than the AW3420DW?) but just have the resolution turned way down on them? Would be nice to still have that peripheral vision but not degrade the quality I'm seeing on the main center monitor... Apologize in advance for the stupid question (this stuff is greek to me), but I really appreciate any clarification on this!

I understand going all in on a hobby: I went from an ancient PC and a G27 on my desk to Bodnar 53/HE sprints/P1-X/HE Handbrake/Asher wheel + a I9@5Ghz and a 2080Ti! :)

You can not use monitors of different type in a triple setup -- they have to be identical. Been down this road -- after I bought my 34" I researched triples, then like you, found that 3 x 3440 x 1440 is not possible. Then I looked at using 2 smaller side monitors, only to find out that it will not work. Then i looked into doing SLI -- adding another 2080Ti -- then I found out the cost and complexity of SLI is not worth the modest performance increase.

I am waiting for the next gen of video cards to be released -- then we will see if there will be a single video card that can drive 3x larger monitors well.

BTW, my IRL track ride. I am putting AP racing brake on this weekend!

Cheers,
Dom

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back