• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

New BTCC Game Confirmed For 2022 Release

At long last, the British Touring Car Championship is set to be represented in video game form, as Motorsport Games announce their new multi-year agreement with the fabled British tin top championship.
  • Motorsport Games announce BTCC game licence.
  • The title will be fully dedicated to the British Touring Car Championship.
  • Mult-year agreement reached with Motorsport Games, first title expected in 2022.

The news many of us have been waiting for is finally here - an official BTCC racing game is now a much anticipated reality, with the announcement today that Motorsport Games have won the rights to bring the BTCC back to PC and console from as early as 2022.

Slightly worryingly, Motorsport Games are known for the NASCAR Heat franchise, which is a small step up from absolute garbage, so hopefully the awfulness of these titles won't be transferred to the new BTCC game, and once it releases in hopefully 2022 we might actually have something worth playing.

BTCC 3.jpg

According to the announcement from earlier today, the new title is set to be developed for both console and PC, and will feature exclusively as the official BTCC game, rather than having the touring car content bolted on into an existing title.

“Finally, I’m proud to say that the huge demand from the BTCC and TOCA game fans is being answered. Just like the original BTCC/TOCA game, this will be a dedicated BTCC game featuring all the cars, all the teams, all the drivers and all the circuits – not merely some elements partially incorporated into an existing game.
“It is hugely important to me, our teams, drivers and fans that any new BTCC game reflected exactly what everyone loves about our championship; the incredibly close non-stop action, intense competition and great enjoyment. I’ve no doubt that Motorsport Games will deliver exactly that” Said BTCC Chief Executive, Alan Gow of the announcement.​

BTCC 2.jpg

On the prospect of the new BTCC game, Motorsport Games’ Creative Director, Paul Coleman, had the following to say:

“There is a clear demand and appetite for a new touring car game, and we are delighted that we are going to make that a reality. Many of the staff in our studio have fond memories of the TOCA game series and my first job in the games industry was actually working on TOCA Race Driver 2 as a QA Tester. We have some exciting plans that we cannot wait to reveal.”
Of course we still have up to two years until the new title sees the light of day, which could mean plenty of changes in the British Touring Car Championship, including the introduction of hybrid technology for the first time, but if recent seasons are anything to go by, the series will likely continue to be an incredibly exciting championship to recreate in virtual form.

BTCC Footer.jpg

The official BTCC game is expected to be developed and launch some time in 2022 for PC and console.

Keep tabs for more information about this new game here at RaceDepartment - with a new sub forum to break cover soon!

BTCC footer 2.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

joemendel

1RPM
May 8, 2020
I really liked TOCA 2, but it really was an arcade driving game, not a driving sim, like some titles which I have come accustomed too. I will really hope to have a new racing sim with a new series to look forward to racing. My fingers are crossed.

Wolfzz

100RPM
Sep 7, 2008
Awesome unfortunately its going to be a long wait but hopefully it will be all worth it.

Reactions: Jomi81

thestig171

100RPM
Premium
Mar 16, 2019
"Slightly worryingly, Motorsport Games are known for the NASCAR Heat franchise, which is a small step up from absolute garbage, so hopefully the awfulness of these titles won't be transferred to the new BTCC game, and once it releases in hopefully 2022 we might actually have something worth playing."

That's neutral... :D

On a different note: isn't this series too 'small' for a separate/individual game?

balage06

250RPM
Premium
Mar 1, 2010
Reading the announcement:
- NEW BTCC GAME, AWESOME!
- Stephen Hood? I've heard that name before... Oh, it's the Codies F1 guy...
- Paul Coleman?? That's the other Codies guy...
- product roster includes NASCAR Heat franchises?... ok I'm not interested...

Last edited:

Trebor901

2000RPM
Aug 10, 2007
Reading the announcement:
- NEW BTCC GAME, AWESOME!
- Stephen Hood? I've heard that name before... Oh, it's the Codies F1 guy...
- Paul Coleman?? That's the other Codies guy...
- product roster includes NASCAR Heat franchises?... ok I'm not interested...
They dont MAKE Nascar Heat! 704 games produce nascar heat. Motorsport games only do the esports side of it.

Goffik

A legend in my own mind...
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
Oh dear. I was excited when I saw the news, not so much now I've read who's making it. But who knows? Maybe this game/sim will be their defining moment. I'd still have had more hope if the license had gone to a developer with a proven simulation track record though.

That's neutral... :D
Pretending something is better than it is serves no useful purpose. I like that Paul calls it how he sees it.

On a different note: isn't this series too 'small' for a separate/individual game?
Why? GT's have their own game so why not the BTCC? It's about the only racing left on terrestrial TV in the UK and is very popular here, not to mention that it features some of the best racing you'll find. Personally I'd like to see more sims based on a main theme than all these Jacks-of-all-trades.

Focusing on a particular championship also worked perfectly well in the past. Race 07 was just touring cars and a couple of support series, for example. Sims didn't move away from that because it was a bad idea, they did it in an attempt to cover as much ground as possible and make more sales. Sticking to one main car type should give the opportunity to put maximum effort into getting it absolutely right, rather than spreading that effort across many different classes like many sims.

Time will tell I suppose.

b)b

100RPM
Premium
Jan 16, 2016
I suppose that means no BTCC license to any other sim...

Paul Coleman did Dirt Rally 1 then Dirt 4 which underperformed and I think got him ejected from Codies...

• Sad
Reactions: Pessio

BBRacing

25RPM
Aug 28, 2011
Mmmmmm

bit of a bubble burster to hear NASCAR heat makers are behind this, but I guess let’s wait and see, maybe close running stock cars around gb tracks might be fun :(

MirNet

75RPM
Premium
Mar 13, 2017
Seriously, how can this not go to Reiza or SMS? Both have most of the tracks scanned and looking great and they both do front drive FFB really well...
Cadwell Park is just awesome in AMS2. An absolute peach of a track so graphically well presented in the madness engine. I was thinking it the other day how brilliant would a BTCC series mod be.

I guess the horse has bolted now, great shame because i can't say i've high hopes for a standalone title.