New Batch of Updates Released as rFactor 2 DX11 Build Hotfixes Continue

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 DX11 Renault 3.5 Series - Adrian Subiela.jpg

Studio 397 continue to push out regular game and content updates for rFactor 2 as the studio look to establish a strong base build following the recent big DX11 update.

Despite a great deal of anticipation with regards to the benefits of an upgrade to DX11 for rFactor 2 the community have been divided somewhat over the new build, with some players experiencing considerable improvements but many finding a wide ranging number of issues with the latest version of the software. In direct response to a number of these reported issues from the simulations player userbase, Studio 397 have been quick off the mark to release a series of updates to both the core software itself alongside content improvements directed at bringing official game content up to a suitable standard in order to make the most of the new DX11 graphics engine.

Because of the speed and volume of the updates post release, we thought it would be easier to post a summary article at certain periods to briefly cover what S397 have been doing behind the scenes with the software.

Initially the update launched with a limited selection of DX11 ready content (graphical improvements), however Studio 397 did promise the community a regular stream of steady updates over the next few weeks as they work towards bringing all the official first party car and track releases up to the same graphical level. True to their word, Studio 397 have already brought several newly updated items to the table since April 30th, brining the car and track list up to eleven cars and ten tracks at DX11 quality as of 10th May 2017. Players are advised to subscribe to the Studio 397 Workshop HERE to keep abreast of the content updates as and when they are pushed live.

Content Updates Summary (all content now updated to DX11 standards)

Tracks
  • AtlantaMP 2014
  • Indianapolis 2013
  • Malaysia 2007
  • MillsMetro 2011
  • Mores 2013
  • Nola Motorsports Park 2016
  • Palm Beach 2012
  • Portugal 2009
  • Silverstone 2012
  • TobanRP 2016
Cars
  • AC Cobra 427SC 1967
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT3 2012
  • Corvette C6R GT2 2009
  • Honda Civic BTCC 2013*
  • Howston G4 1968
  • Howston G6 1968
  • Indycar Dallara DW12 2014
  • Kart Cup
  • Nissan GT500 2013
  • StockCar 2015
  • USF2000 2016
* the Honda Civic BTCC has also received some minor amendments alongside the DX11 update. Changelog can be read below:
  • Minor Inertia Tweak
  • Add latest AI variables.
  • Reduced cooling (overheating) effect when in the slipstream of another car.
  • “ModelWheelsIncludeAllTireMass” Fix.
  • Updated all other variables. (Slightly more accurate bumpstop travel, SpringAux, Engine Starting temps, etc)
  • Minor tyre tweaks (mostly added newer wet weather params).
DX11 Build Updates (summary)

4/5/2017 : Build ID : 1798231
New GFX, PHYSICS, cpu thread scheduling
"Contact Support" button added in the Launcher (quick way to report issues)
Performance profiling & performance recording tool (CTRL+F)

4/5/2017 (2) : Build ID :1799547
Fixed issue with config and AMD cards

4/5/2017 (3) : Build ID :1799885
Improved performance when rendering 3d geometry (AMD FPS improvement)

4/5/2017 (4) : Build ID :1800163
Small changes in performance data collection

5/5/2017 : Build ID : 1802039
Added "Aggressive Threading" On/Off option (this could improve performance for older AMD/INTEL processors )
Default Value is off.
Keep it to OFF to test performance improvements

5/5/2017 (2): Build ID : 1802266
Internal file acces improvements

5/5/2017 (3): Build ID : 1803126
Improved transfer data to the GPU

7/5/2017 : Build ID : 1807720
Performance improvements

8/5/2017 : Build ID : 1807962
Content updates for the following tracks: Toban, Mores, Silverstone, Portugal, Indianapolis, Palm Beach, Mills Metro Park, Malaysia and the following cars: Karts, Corvette C6.R, Camaro GT3, AC 427SC and the Honda Civic.

10/5/2017 : Build ID : 1813052
Full screen mode
Gpu and Video VSYNC working in DX11

For players not wishing to receive these small build updates as and when they are released should remain on the v1108-dx11-open-beta-last-stable, (Build ID : 1792646)

Note: DX11 rFactor 2 photos credit: Adrian Subiela

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to PC. You can purchase the game directly from Steam with immediate effect.

rF2 DX11 IndyCar - Adrian Subiela.jpg
rF2 DX11 Renault 3.5 Series - Adrian Subiela 2.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

How is rFactor 2 post VR / DX11 update running for you now? Has the game improved since the initial update beta build release? Do you think the game has been improved with the new build? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
How do you recenter the view in the Rift?

I've tried Ctrl+space and it doesn't work for me...

Re-centre your seating position using SteamVR>Settings ... I normally set this before starting rF2. For me presently, there's no action available allowing you to re-centre within rF2, it has to be done through SteamVR. However you can move your position up/down/fore/aft like normal.

This DX11 thing is getting better and better. The only thing I would like to have is that when one does a fresh install not the complete ISI mod stuff will be installed but only the DX11 optimized parts...

This DX11 thing is getting better and better. The only thing I would like to have is that when one does a fresh install not the complete ISI mod stuff will be installed but only the DX11 optimized parts...
weird but when I did fresh install of the dx11 build no content was auto installed,had to go through workshop and subscribe to the stuff I wanted.
Don't know if thats how its supposed to work or there's something wrong on my end?

I've tried Ctrl+space and it doesn't work for me...

Re-centre your seating position using SteamVR>Settings ... I normally set this before starting rF2. For me presently, there's no action available allowing you to re-centre within rF2, it has to be done through SteamVR. However you can move your position up/down/fore/aft like normal.
Thanks.
I got my simrig faced 90 degrees to the side. I guess ill wait until its fixed.

The glare doesn't bother me at all. I had an issue with Enduracers (which I can't ignore since I only use it for a league) where rendering more than 3 cars caused the fps to be stationary around the 20s, no matter what graphics settings were used (keeping 1080p). I said some just because I haven't tested plenty of content to put the blame on the particular mod. Although everything else I threw at it showed similar or better performance than dx9. I even made a secondary install to run DX11 for other content.

It's interesting you mention that, it's quite a reoccurring problem with this mod and the DX11 update. According to the official forum anyway.

I'm wondering if it's a case of the models being too detailed? Could the LOD's on the models be too high? Just guessing, I'm not 100% sure with how the game adjusts the rendering over different distances but yes I had the same issue. I ran 30 cars with the URD mods and no real problems but the Enduracer cars seem to put extra strain on the PC and I had to really crank the settings down to get a manageable level of frames. Or just told the game to show only 10 cars! :) Not a complaint in any way, just an observation.

Glad to hear the update has helped some with performance, and in all the future looks promising.
Ill re-install rf2 if and when they release some official series that interest me as Raceroom currently has me hooked with all my favorite series....WTCC, DTM, GT3 and Audi TT Cup :)

When they say "all content now updated to DX11 standards", does that mean no more of the ISI content will be upgraded? Will DX9 mods still work? I'm thinking here of the Formula ISI 2012 and Marussia MR01 2012, as I include them in my "all PC F1 games" comparisons.

Oh and the 1966 cars/tracks.

I am still struggling with performance...gtx 1060...
Try taking PP down to medium or low
How many AI do you have on screen?
Put everything on low and work your way up.
Vsync on video
Change refresh rate as it's default on some systems is 24hz
Don't use aggressive threading unless old CPU
Delete cBash and shades files if you have upgraded to new DX11 from DX9
Would be good to know what you're struggling with performance-wise, system specs and rF2 settings to be honest. ;)

When they say "all content now updated to DX11 standards", does that mean no more of the ISI content will be upgraded? Will DX9 mods still work? I'm thinking here of the Formula ISI 2012 and Marussia MR01 2012, as I include them in my "all PC F1 games" comparisons.

Oh and the 1966 cars/tracks.

DX9 mods are still being updated afaik
They are updating content almost daily. There was a link to the steam workshop which shows it. Just search by studio 397 and by most recent. It will show which content has been refreshed

Guys, my doubt is very objective.
I had all ISI/397 content on the DX9 version.
Last night I made the transition, and it all seems ok...of course, modded content not really usable, some of them you can use with post effects turned off....the now well know stuff.
What I dont know is. I had to uninstall all my previous official DX9 content, and install again via workshop to get full benefit of the DX11 version? Is that really necessary?
Because I really dont have the desire to do that...lol.

I didn't uninstall content beforehand.

However, today, to make sure I am using the current content when testing, I've gone through and uninstalled the old versions. Did a lot of general clean-up, too, like getting rid of the old race events from various servers visited in the past.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%