New Automobilista Video: Physics Engine Changes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS 1.jpg

In the build up to todays version one launch of Automobilista, Reiza physics guru Niels Heusinkveld has released a short 22 minute video detailing changes under the hood that have taken place since Reiza got their hands on ISI's gMotor engine.

Interesting viewing as Niels goes into some detail about the work required to make Automobilista the simulation it is today, and it gives fans something to occupy their time while we eagerly await the full version one release of Automobilista, due before the end of the day (Wednesday 24th August).

Check out Niels video below, and head over to the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss this game with your fellow AMS fans.

Automobilista: Changes we made to the physics engine video:

Automobilista is currently discounted until Sunday 29th for the full Reiza Membership Package (base game + all DLCs + beta access) at US $54.99. Membership upgrade (all DLCs + beta access for those that already own the game) will be available for US $24.99. Post Sunday 29th the game will return to the full retail price of US $39.99.

The Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment is THE place to go for mods, discussions, news and of course our epic club racing scene.

It's nearly here... did you enjoy the video from Niels? Learn anything new? Looking forward to AMS v1? Let us know in the comments section below!

So, i am ready to buy but i have a few questions:

Steam purchase or direct from the forum? Price is not an issue for me, its more about knowing which one is more MP friendly.

Is there a wheel setup guide in here somewhere? I have a Thrustmaster TX.

Its my birthday tomorrow so this is a gift to myself.

Thanks for any advice.
Get it, this is where I've vanished to

I bought his pro pedals: excellent service and one of his creations showing his geniality.
this video really amazed me as well: explaining such miniscule details in a very understandable way. Also he emphasises why it is such a good sim in a no bullocks way, no marketinghyped trailer bs. No just a camera and his piece of paper ( and an awesome skidmark joke ). I m driving ac but this would definitely be my second choice of sim

I'm still trying to get my head around the new formula extreme physics. It feels nearly undriveable.

Well if you look closely at the patch notes it only says that throttle maps per gear were added to the Formula Reiza, nothing said about the Formula Extreme about the mention of revised front suspension. I also noticed that with the Formula V12 it didn't feel like it had throttle maps per gear either and its actually trickier than the old version in some respects in the lower gears.

I think the V12 and Extreme are incomplete at this point, while the Formula Reiza is the finished product.

Well if you look closely at the patch notes it only says that throttle maps per gear were added to the Formula Reiza, nothing said about the Formula Extreme about the mention of revised front suspension. I also noticed that with the Formula V12 it didn't feel like it had throttle maps per gear either and its actually trickier than the old version in some respects in the lower gears.

I think the V12 and Extreme are incomplete at this point, while the Formula Reiza is the finished product.
It's just that F.Reiza has lower torque, it's also incomplete in my opinion.

It's just that F.Reiza has lower torque, it's also incomplete in my opinion.
That doesn't actually make sense because the Formula V12 has less torque than either the Reiza or Extreme and yet its more sensitive than both of them in first and second gear and in fact actually in some ways more sensitive than it was before the latest update. It definitely doesn't feel like there's any sort of throttle mapping going on per gear with either the Extreme or V12.

Nevertheless I still don't find either of them undrivable. The throttle delivery is just different even without a new throttle map per gear.

THANK YOU NIELS...

...for finally telling the world what I've been trying to expose years (video 10:25 - 14:35)

A) I've been saying there are major issues with how the revs/engine works, for example, how it shoots to redline "at the speed of light" as if you have "10,000 lb-ft of torque" even while in neutral. I got all sorts of people flaming me, telling me I'm wrong, trying to justify their position with statements like "the flywheel is very light on xx car", "racing engines are sensitive", "throttle maps", etc. etc.

(and another one here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ6wztGuvUc)

B) I've also theorized that, apart from while being in neutral (or clutch pressed in), this issue may also be affecting driving. For example, once you get wheelspin - making it way too easy for revs to instantly shoot to redline as if you're flooring the throttle and have 10,000 lb-ft of torque. This would also cause the wheelspin to suddenly tremendously increase in a snap on-or-off way without any in-between "controllable-slip" way.

I've mentioned these two points many times for years and have had many people saying I'm wrong, I can't drive, "ISI know what they're doing and are smarter than you", and even attacking me personally. Heck, I've even been banned on the official ISI RF2 site (supposed to be a 3-month ban which one day "magically" changed to an infinite ban) for trying to get this engine/rpm issue, as-well as some other ISI-engine oversteer/inertia/momentum issues, across,

THANK YOU NIELS!

I hope, from now on, people will start giving me a chance and trying to understand me when I'm trying to explain some obvious (to me) issues with driving behavior of our beloved sims.

P.S. I hope the long-standing (since the 1990s) momentum/inertia issues of the ISI engine will one day be improved. This can be slightly seen at entry/apex of turn 1 in the recently released Automobilista spotter-test video (around 49s mark).

Last edited:
Well, if its any consolation the first thing I thought of when Niels started discussing the limitations of the old ISIengine and throttle response was your assertions that matched it and I said to myself yea, Spinelli was right.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%