New Assetto Corsa Scottish Track Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC Scotland 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni promised a mystery Scottish based fantasy track as a free gift for their Assetto Corsa simulation, and true to that promise Licencing Manager Marco Massarutto has sneaked out some interesting looking preview images of the new work in progress location.

The three preview screens shared by Massarutto show a typical looking Scottish scene wrapped around what looks to be a mixed bag of open road and tight country lanes road course. According to the end of year blog by Kunos, the new Scottish circuit will come in four different configurations, able to easily host a wide variety of classes from low powered tin tops to high downforce endurance vehicles.

It hasn't been revealed when exactly this track will be released, however the screens produced by Massarutto do show the track looking pretty much complete. It wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to expect this little Scottish gem to be included in the next core game update due probably sometime in Q1 2017.

AC Scotland 2.jpg
AC Scotland 1.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have released Assetto Corsa for Windows PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The game features a number of road and race vehicles with many laserscanned circuits. Additional track and car content can be purchased by way of downloadable content.

One of the best ways to experience Assetto Corsa is to race against your fellow players online. You can do that here at RaceDepartment in our League and Club Racing section of the Assetto Corsa sub forum. We hold professionally run club events that cater for all different skills and experiences, as well as host regular high quality league racing events. Alongside our commitment to bring you quality racing we also host a large number of mods for the game. Jump over to our modding archive to have a browse at what is on offer, or even share details of your WIP project in our Modding Discussion forum.

Last edited:
In that case I agree with Blimey. I'm also a mere racing guy and it's called "Your racing simulator". A fantasy road track can be driven in real life it's easy to do: Open your frontdoor and enjoy life! Same with the streetcars e.g. the SUV. What the hell brings somebody to drive such (ugly) one in an racing simulator? - do it in real life please/ thx!
Oh, now we're on the 'streetcars and SUVs have no place in a racing simulator' topic too. I can see this thread has a very bright future.

Hey there Sunny,
just a quick correction - SUN is much older than 5 years you know... ;)
My 5 year old sun is starting to get it...
No hard feelings I believe? :D

All Frozen soundtrack is great, not only that song, fyi. ;)
And I prefer "The Winner takes it all" from Abba.
No, no... I don't compare Reiza with Kunos, it's just... pure coincidence.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In that case I agree with Blimey. I'm also a mere racing guy and it's called "Your racing simulator". A fantasy road track can be driven in real life it's easy to do: Open your frontdoor and enjoy life! Same with the streetcars e.g. the SUV. What the hell brings somebody to drive such (ugly) one in an racing simulator? - do it in real life please/ thx!
Oh, now we're on the 'streetcars and SUVs have no place in a racing simulator' topic too. I can see this thread has a very bright future.
About the topic of a SUV on a racing scenary...

main_01.jpg

Seriously guys, if you are car enthusiasts you should welcome any car and any piece of asphalt you can drive on. Racing isn't limited for race cars and race tracks. One thing AC is generally praised for is it's road car content. Meanwhile it has the best roster of GT3s you can find in a sim (with the M6 and new R8 coming and we don't know anything about the British pack, cough*Bentley please*cough).

Don't be so salty about not getting your dream cars all the time. One thing I learned from AC that cars you are neutral to IRL can become your favourites, and cars that you fell for before can provide an unsatisfying driving experience.

I don't mind it being fictional as long as it's towards a realistic end of the scale. for example there's no "100%" on historic tracks but putting Microsoft and NVidia billboards into them would be not-realistic. Whereas for a hypothetical road race circuit, which doesn't depend on any real sanctioning, anything short of a little turtle floating in the cloud holding the starting lights is not going to break my sense of immersion. Just say the police closed the street and you signed a hundred insurance waivers and you can get away with almost anything.

It's pretty obvious why they compromise on the size of roadside signs, it's built mainly for public simulators (Porsche, whoever else) which run relatively high FOV and are not "about" learning the circuit but more about the driving experience.

All little something for everyone. Such a hard concept for some people to grasp...

Yeah, really getting tiring seeing people thinking what they like is he only correct way. I mean, I hate mushrooms but you don't see me trolling Pizza Hut's forum telling them to remove mushrooms from all their stores or harassing people who like mushrooms on their pizza. That would be silly behavior.

People also seem to forget that without the SUV's we probably wouldn't have gotten a few dozen Porsches or the Maseratis, as including those was part of the deal to secure the licenses. Kunos said BCC was built in part because of a request from the manufacturers who wanted to have something to let customers drive their virtual cars on that was easier and less intimidating than a race track, hence the wide track and gigantic turn arrows.

Now, let's all get back on topic, shall we? ;)

Yeah, really getting tiring seeing people thinking what they like is he only correct way. I mean, I hate mushrooms but you don't see me trolling Pizza Hut's forum telling them to remove mushrooms from all their stores or harassing people who like mushrooms on their pizza. That would be silly behavior.

People also seem to forget that without the SUV's we probably wouldn't have gotten a few dozen Porsches or the Maseratis, as including those was part of the deal to secure the licenses. Kunos said BCC was built in part because of a request from the manufacturers who wanted to have something to let customers drive their virtual cars on that was easier and less intimidating than a race track, hence the wide track and gigantic turn arrows.

Now, let's all get back on topic, shall we? ;)

Sorry, mate, but this is the internet. You can't be that reasonable in a place where opinions are pretty much taken as facts.

Now, to get back on topic, I think it's nice to have a new circuit with many different layouts suited for different racing styles. We'll have to wait for more preview content to be released before making any assumptions, but so far, it looks good. Really looking forward to test the endurance layout.

Some of us still need to learn the value of gratitude. My 5 year old sun is starting to get it...
I hope the ungrateful individuals dont mess up for the rest of us. I wonder when I design fictional liveries for real life content people go like "we want real liveries not some fictional designs"?
It was so tiring to read until here, unbelievable how 2017 started with a desillusion for Kunos to finally have a nice clean comment thread about their new FREE content. Not completely innocent myself in the past but way past that point of "what I want or dont want".
So to, thank you for the music
....and to all the haters / pessimists / spoilt childs....whatever

You've got it spot on mate, well said!... So many ungrateful...(insert childish name here) online in general..!
I would place a bet that those who are being ungrateful about FREE content have never made f**k all.. they don't know how much effort is involved.. and the actual persistence involved in finishing something.

Try it ungratefulites... Make a track, and have the balls to upload it here for people like you to criticise lol The brake markers are too big, the curb heights are not accurate, that plant is not native to Scotland... blah blah blah.

Those that matter... don't mind, and those that mind... Don't matter!!

@kunos I second what sunny said... Except without the Abba or Frozen video clips. Well done, more roads are a welcome addition to Assetto... Fantasy or Real...

Last edited:
I don't drive AC anymore but think this is a great move as tracks are a weakness in AC and the more places to drive the many street cars the better if you are going to have so many street cars.

ANY track content is good news for AC although they are really getting long in the tooth considering the lack of life for this sim with limited functionality.

If I were Kunos I'd invest heavily in track DLC to squeeze as much out of this lemon while I still can.

I would release a mod pack with the best five tracks, choosed by voting. Certainly a bit polished like Zandvoort before, but AC without mods is pointless and console players can't play them. And they would get more used when official content. VIR, Donington, Paul Ricard and some more are as good as laserscanned or nobody would care like with Bridgehampton and Riverside.

I would release a mod pack with the best five tracks, choosed by voting. Certainly a bit polished like Zandvoort before, but AC without mods is pointless and console players can't play them. And they would get more used when official content. VIR, Donington, Paul Ricard and some more are as good as laserscanned or nobody would care like with Bridgehampton and Riverside.
You should consider that making a mod for a real race track is not a problem but if that mid is made by a commercial software house they have to pay the copyrights to include it in the game...
So basically if Kunos would like to include a free mod collection of tracks they could only choose fictional tracks (or abandoned/destroyed tracks like Bridgehampton where nobody can claim rights) and you saw what nerd rage this scottish road or BBC is causing...
Cause when you gift something to ungrateful people they will complain that they wanted something else/better...

In my country (Italy) we use to say"A caval donato non si guarda in bocca" ("You dont check the mouth if a gifted horse") that means "you can't complain about a gift cause it's gift" but sone people are not mature enough to understand this...

One of the things that I love about the Nordschliefe is that unlike a lot of race tracks it suits a lot of different vehicles. Street cars and race cars are a lot of fun on it. Perhaps it is the closest track we have to driving a favorite country road on the weekend. I wish there were more tracks like this for the road cars to drive on. The danger is that I think more serious sim racers will think Assetto Corsa is turning into Need for Speed or some other arcade title. That is not the intention. I have been a race sim guy for over 30 years now (really) and realistic roads still feel like an aspect of sim racing that think we should explore more.. We have had great road circuits like the Isle of Man track in GPL for example, or even more recently Longford. My point being "fantasy tracks" do not need to equal silly or unrealistic. It is all about how they are executed.

I'm amazed how much Assetto Corsa has improved over the last couple of years and the recent Porsche packs are high quality content, but I feel the Black Cat County was a big missed opportunity to do something different. I was hoping for some great southern US roads like Matt Farah drives in his "One Take" series on YouTube. Instead we get arcade silliness, but anyways I hope this new "Scottish" track is something special.

Releasing that content officially would require costly licensing of those tracks regardless, and Kunos got a lot of flak for releasing Zandvoort without laserscan. So no, unlikely to happen.

Releasing that content officially would require costly licensing of those tracks regardless, and Kunos got a lot of flak for releasing Zandvoort without laserscan. So no, unlikely to happen.
Yes cause,laserscan is becoming the ultimate sillyness haters use to flame topics...
We had non laser scanner tracks for decades in Racing games with really good results (non laser scanner tracks of GTR series are amazing) and now they introduced laser scanner ones suddenly is "not laser scanner = crap"... :p

If a track's physics mesh is well made it's very unlikely that people who didn't know the original in and out at the time of the laserscan would ever notice any difference in the surface (assuming they didn't know beforehand that it's not laserscanned). But laserscanning has some major benefits regarding track creation other than just an accurate physics mesh, and if it's beyond that also a selling point for your product it's pretty obvious that the devs would want to implement tracks rather with laserscanning than without. But getting licenses, getting the data required, building the track... I'll assume it's all easier said than done.

Yes cause,laserscan is becoming the ultimate sillyness haters use to flame topics...
We had non laser scanner tracks for decades in Racing games with really good results (non laser scanner tracks of GTR series are amazing) and now they introduced laser scanner ones suddenly is "not laser scanner = crap"... :p
Well the bar is just set higher and people's opinion change over time by something even better, laser scanned tracks has that authenticity in your mind like what 24k gold would give in a sense, or maybe as a certificate of high standards and precision. It's like putting on a real pair of Ray Bans, hope this gives an insight into what impression laser scanned gives to people's minds and the satisfaction they get...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%