New Assetto Corsa Competizione Physics Blog Post

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Aris Blog.jpg

Aristotelis Vasilakos of Kunos Simulazioni has started a new blog post series, digging deeper into the physics of the upcoming Assetto Corsa Comeptizione…

As the initial 'Early Access' release of Assetto Corsa Competizione begins in just one week's time, the team over at Kunos Simulazioni continue to be hard at work behind the scenes making adjustments and improvements to this hotly anticipated new simulation.

Already we have learnt much about the content and direction of ACC, however one of the things that are perhaps most anticipated by the community must be the physics of ACC, and how they will compare in a brand new game engine alongside the highly regarded original title.

To help shed some light on the subject, and build up the hype, ACC physics guru @Aristotelis has shared a brilliant new blog posting, the first of a proposed series of posts on the inside workings of the physics for ACC.

You can check out the full blog posting from Aris below:

Hello everybody!

The Assetto Corsa Competizione Early Access is about to begin and once again we’re ready to start a fantastic journey.

First things first, Early Access means that you get the opportunity to get early versions of the final game and have a look on the development and evolution of ACC. Obviously, once you bought the EA version, you get all the following updates of the main game for free. On the other hand we, developers, get the opportunity to collect feedback and impressions while we work, from a much bigger testing team the we could ever organize in private.

Our responsibility will be to try and update the title on the pre-announced dates, offering great new content and as stable features as possible, so that you guys can enjoy the game and keep the feedback coming.

Obviously, that means that the initial versions of the game will have limited content and features, but we are confident that we can offer the same successful evolution experience as we did with AC Early Access period.

I hope that the above is clear for everybody and the community can spread the word and inform other simracers that might not know what Early Access means.

While many of ACC gameplay features won’t be available in the first releases of Early Access, the driving physics simulation is mostly ready. Some fine tuning and some extra features are still needed, but… there’s plenty to talk about so let’s talk… physics!

So what physics ACC runs? The first test Stefano did when we started exploring the Unreal Engine, was create a version of our AC physics and make it run inside UE. I won’t go into details, I won’t even know how to explain it, but after lot’s of cursing, insomnia and head scratching, he made it. So the first initial versions of ACC had the AC physics running.

Next step and part my main job for the time, was to try and do as many parallel runs between AC and ACC:UE to make sure the physics was absolutely identical, trying to eliminate any possible placebo effects, doing laptimes comparisons and handling comparisons. Once we got absolutely sure that everything was identical, the fun part (or the nightmare part, depending on how you see it), began.

The initial idea about ACC physics, was to evolve and improve weak points of AC physics and then move on from there. Not sure if we skipped it completely or gradually moved from one plan to another… too many things have happened and to be honest, considering the end result, it doesn’t matter anymore. What it does matter is that ACC, although it might “feel” similar, it certainly is much more than that. Stefano will probably call it evolutionary, but to be honest there’s so much new stuff that I’m not sure that term makes justice.

So, heavily reworked tyre behaviour model, heavily reworked tyre heating model, heavily reworked tyre wear model all of them not just reworked values but with all new physics features, equations and data. On top of that we got reworked brake heating model… but more about all of this on a dedicated post about tyres and brakes.

Suspensions. We got completely new damper model. As you know dampers are usually simulated in sims with 4 values. Bump, rebound, fast bump and fast rebound. But… in ACC we know have full blown damper graphs. Obviously in the setup screen you guys have the usual clicks to work with, but under the surface, each click points to a different damper graph. Also, we have a completely new bumpstop system. The bumps have variable stiffness and variable ramp (graph) of their stiffness. That was actually a forced evolution of the physics, because otherwise it would be practically impossible to set properly the cars, because of the very advanced aerodynamic model… just as in real cars.

Which brings us to the aero model. Completely rewritten from scratch. This is not even an evolution, it’s a complete rewrite. Instead of creating various “wings” that each one of the generates a specific lift and drag around the car, as in AC and more or less all the simulators out there, ACC uses a new system that takes into account aeromaps from wind tunnels or CFD and applies lift and drag to the whole object as one. Doing so, it takes into account on how the object moves its aerodynamic pressure point forward or backwards depending on pitch and yaw. Before saying that this is something you can achieve with the “wings” model of AC, I can assure you it is different. The system actively moves the pressure point and can influence front or rear lift and drag, depending on what it happens in the car pitch rotation, wing angle and so on.

The end result, is a much more pitch sensitive aero platform with situations that force you to choose specific ride heights, wing angles and suspension settings to counteract the aero influence on the handling. Because of this, as in real life, maintaining the aero platform becomes crucial, ride heights are probably the most important part of the setup and bumpstops become extremely important to control the car.

The GT3 cars do heavy use of ABS and Traction Control systems, permitted by the rules. So for ACC we had to improve furthermore the ABS and TC systems. They have become quite more complex, taking into account much more information and telemetry inputs as well as having different behaviour and output result.

Obviously we also have a completely new weather system and dynamic track. The rain simulation is really a breakthrough and, modesty apart, I’m confident that you guys are going to be impressed by it. All hail Lord Kunos, he really did an astonishing work and of course I'll do my best to explain you all the various situations, simulation and techniques to get the best driving experience out of it.

TL;DR

So, I just wanted to give you a small taste of what I’m going to cover in more detail in the following days. I’ll try to write specific posts about tyres, suspensions, aerodynamics, TC and ABS, setup screen and strategy and weather simulation.

Once again, thank you for all the support you are giving us and we really hope you’re going to enjoy the initial early access releases. Looking forward to your feedback and to the more advanced releases in the next months, when ACC will really start to shine!

Using the undeniable talents of the team at Kunos, building on the lessons already well learnt from the original title, and with a nice and shiny new graphics engine to boot, ACC already looks to have the makings of a classic firmly wrapped up...

Assetto Corsa Competizione will be available to purchase on Steam Early Access from September 12th 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Did you enjoy the new blog post from Aris? Looking forward to ACC? Do you think the game will improve on the original Assetto Corsa? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's like hearing how Chateau Yquem tastes for the first time, and you know that within one week you'll taste the most outstanding liquid gold on your own taste buds.

Yes, I know what that experience feels like, but I haven't yet done so in simracing.

Speaking of it, how do I know when bump versus fast bump kicks in? Never understood that. I know there is a variable controlling that, but I don't know what it represents.

Anyway, sounds good. That aero model using individual wings only goes to the 1980s or whereabouts. Today's aero is all about making half of the elements shape the air for some other element, without directly physiking on their own.

Speaking of it, how do I know when bump versus fast bump kicks in? Never understood that. I know there is a variable controlling that, but I don't know what it represents.

Anyway, sounds good. That aero model using individual wings only goes to the 1980s or whereabouts. Today's aero is all about making half of the elements shape the air for some other element, without directly physiking on their own.

bump and rebound = normal chassis flex movement through corners, braking or accel
fast bump (or fast rebound) = kerbs

Last edited:
I did many seasons in the SRS with Assetto Corsa. Final season we ran full damage. My experience was that "full damage" was more like console sim damage, meaning "not much." I was mostly disappointed by this particular aspect of the game. If I buy it, it will only be for giggles, not serious sim racing.

So wait, wasn't the tires supposed to be "perfect" in terms of behaviour already in AC? What are the changes? What results they produce compared to real life?

And what's with the aero and damper models being so advanced? Basically you are describing the good old rfactor1 models right there...

I got to hand it to you Aris, you are really good in creating hype, while not telling us much at all... why don't you make some Niels style videos instead, showing us the real graphs and data that you are using? You dont even need to show real one, just your approximations.

I was about to ignore EA and even launch as I stopped enjoying AC while ago and I dont need 4th sim Im not gonna play :) .. but just reading about it I get simracing bonner and I want it .. again .. :)

Any word somewhere in previous press releases about FFB improvements?

Those physics improvements sound great but as long as it is unclear whether ACC is moddable AC1 will be my favourite. Nevertheless I am going to buy it shortly after the EA release.
Mods are not going to be supported by kunos. They said once that if people find ways to mod it they won't go against it but they just won't support it. So basically ... its not moddable.

ive heard lots of impressive technical mumbo jumbo regarding physics and weather and such in other games in the past (COUGH*PCARS2*COUGH) so ill just trust in lord kunos that acc will feel correct just as ac always has.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 367 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.0%