New Add-on: Codename "Toad"

• Mikkow

I know many enjoy driving the WTCC 1987 cars, but to say it's highly requested? What about people outside the community, would they buy such an add-on? I think that has arguably a very low market value, and very unlikely to be the case, other than maybe a side license (as in race 07). Can you imagine them marketing that on the billboards etc of real races? "WTCC 1987 - The Game".

Most likely so it will be A1GP or GP2, or as someone said before something like GTL (with Saab Toad in it:D)

The biggest surprise however would be (now I'll go insane)...
Think about toads. They're amphibians. They can be found on any surface, even in water! And they jump a lot.... WRC? That's popular, RBR is old, Dirt is arcade, so many people wants a great sim about it. The only thing is that it needs a lot of work, and it isn't so much fun online, if it doesn't include rallycross also:) OK, this one has very little chance, but maybe...

I would put my money on A1GP. Its a "world series" and is known by most around the world. Whereas DTM etc is known in alot of countries, its not shown in alot of countries. Thus would the market for A1 not be better and bigger than DTM for example.

• Mikkow

I love rally racing and RBR too, but that's way, way off. The engine isn't made to support that kind of thing, and the expenses would be huge - nothing can be reused, everything must be made from scratch etc. And you know SimBin tries to make everything authentic, and applying that to rally stages would be a lot of work.

Rallycross isn't impossible, but it's not very international and it's not highly requested either, so it ends there.

It almost certainly has to be either a well known international series, or a national series that has somehow become world known (like BTCC/V8 Supercars/DTM).

I wouldn't mind a faster open wheeled car, or prototypes. The fastest we have now is the F3000, which is by far not the fastest open wheeler around.

• Doorslammer

I know many enjoy driving the WTCC 1987 cars, but to say it's highly requested? What about people outside the community, would they buy such an add-on? I think that has arguably a very low market value, and very unlikely to be the case, other than maybe a side license (as in race 07). Can you imagine them marketing that on the billboards etc of real races? "WTCC 1987 - The Game".

Never underestimate the nostalgic fans of yesteryear. ;) 515bhp Sierra? Yes please. Thumping 5-litre VK Commodore? Definitely. Turbo madness in a Volvo? Where do I sign? :D

Also remember, the tracks of 1987 would certainly have been a lot different to the modern equivalents. You would have to have an entire new set to fit into the era. Certainly a lot more work than a little update on what we already had (two cars, two liveries and no 1987-era circuits).

Plus one last point I forgot to mention. Remember, Simbin would (if we were following the logic of the F1 debate earlier here) have the rights signed for the WTCC, no matter which year they wanted (I think). That would be another plus point for the developers, already holding an expensive licence... :laugh2:

• Eric Soeters

Euhhh snugged through the entire topic quickly.. Is there a release date? Because you guys make me curious...

• Mikkow

And it's time for me to answer the first post - what do I WISH It to be :)

The thing that interests me the most is probably V8 SuperCars (interesting concept - 600hp large sedans but lower tech than GT1 cars), on 13 new down under tracks.

A1GP is very nearly as good, as I got myself Viasat Motor (a pay cable channel that shows A1GP, STCC, F1 etc) and I'm determined to religiously follow it for the whole season to see how much I can like it. It's interesting so far but smells of unprofessionalism, especially from the organizers. I wish them all the good fortunes however, I want them to succeed. A simbin expansion on A1GP would just be lots of fun, since I'm following it on TV. The car is faster than anything we've had, and more tracks too.

BTCC is not very interesting (overwhelmed with the S2000 content already) and I can't watch BTCC on any channels either (nor do I really want to).

DTM I have barely seen and I'm not interested in. I might still buy such an expansion but only for a low cost. The cars are too similar to FIA GT cars and the tracks are pretty nasty.

GP2 would be fun, though I've never seen it, that's some seriously fast car on a few more new good race tracks. Would give me incentive to try to watch GP2 as well.

Le Mans series are not very interesting, have most of that stuff already. Only the prototypes I want. I'd never do a real endurance race either for many reasons, and night racing isn't that appealing (I wouldn't mind some 20 min race with a speeded up sunset or something though).

American IndyCar League would be VERY interesting, especially with all the new tracks. I'd love that. I'd give the ovals a go but probably stick to the road courses. Great car to play with too.

SuperLeague Formula is mainly just getting hands on the superfast V12 open wheeler. Not bad. Never seen it on TV really. I'd buy that just for that, and watch it on TV more.

Interesting how playing it makes me want to watch it, as well as vice versa. That's merchandising for you :) Real series would do well to get their racing out on consoles and PCs to stir up interest for it. Maybe because of that, I hope it'll be A1GP the most. It'll help them.

Never underestimate the nostalgic fans of yesteryear. ;) 515bhp Sierra? Yes please. Thumping 5-litre VK Commodore? Definitely. Turbo madness in a Volvo? Where do I sign? :D

Also remember, the tracks of 1987 would certainly have been a lot different to the modern equivalents. You would have to have an entire new set to fit into the era. Certainly a lot more work than a little update on what we already had (two cars, two liveries and no 1987-era circuits).

Plus one last point I forgot to mention. Remember, Simbin would (if we were following the logic of the F1 debate earlier here) have the rights signed for the WTCC, no matter which year they wanted (I think). That would be another plus point for the developers, already holding an expensive licence... :laugh2:

Thats a very good point, bring them on daylight. :good:

American IndyCar League would be VERY interesting, especially with all the new tracks. I'd love that. I'd give the ovals a go but probably stick to the road courses. Great car to play with too.

Almost forgot that one! Could be really really good!!! Nice tracks, nice cars! Ovals can be nice also, if they make them accurate! (what they really can do!) With all the bumps in them they're much more interesting! However I also like road tracks better!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 374 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 516 38.9%