New 80/20 rig design

Been using a GT Omega rig for the last few years which I've had to modify in order to cope with the stresses of OSW and load-cell pedals. Despite (or possibly because of) this it's still rather creaky so I've decided to build myself a new 80/20 rig.

Motion's out due to the fact that I'm limited for space and it needs to be relatively easily moved. I currently have all the parts for this in my basket at Motedis...

80-20_Rig_v002.jpg

The pedal box is on sliders for the sake of adjustability and the fact that it needs as small a footprint as possible when I'm not using it. Because that's not rigidly connected I wanted to make sure the rest of it was solid. Am hoping it's suitably over-engineered and that I've not over looked something really stupid in the design.

80-20_Rig_v001.jpg

80-20_Rig_v003.jpg

Have you calculated the price? I have been designing something very similar to the Simlabs P1, using 16x40 for the base and 12x40 for the columns and the price of the aluminium profiles (not including braquets, screws, etc), is only 260€ (shipping included).

Upvote 0
Sorry, been neglecting this thread since starting it. Still haven't got round to ordering anything, other stuff has had my attention.

I'll share the parts list, but since it hasn't been tested yet I'm obviously not responsible for any unfortunate consequences. It might not make much sense without a few more images or instructions either (even to me at this stage).

The models I'd prefer to not share as they are, but will happily share lower-resolution versions which should be fine for designing things around. They're polygon models rather than CAD, but I'm pretty confident the critical dimensions are all correct (the exception being the seat, which is difficult to measure accurately).

Everything was modelled and rendered in MODO, which few people have heard of.

In terms of price, the aluminium itself is £170 from Motedis exc. (VAT and delivery), and £190 for the fittings etc.

As for weight, I'd expect it to be lighter than the steel-framed GT Omega. As I said above, I'm hoping it's over-engineered so there could be potential for leaving off some of the brackets if it's solid enough without them.

Upvote 0
Found weight data for the profiles on Motedis website. That comes to 26kg. They don't seem to have any info for the brackets and stuff.

Upvote 0
That's profile weight but then you have wheel/pedals/shifters and a seat all bolted to it. And my box of nuts bolts and brackets was quite heavy too!

You'll need wheels if you want to move it I suspect. Or an engine :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
That rig is very neat! I approve. How are the shakers ? Do you get the R/L separation at the pedals - can you feel it as if wheels and road surface etc?

Clever solution. Makes me want to re-cable my GT1 :(

Upvote 0
I'd seen that in your other thread, looks neat. My only issue is that it increases the footprint rather a lot, something which I'm trying to minimise.

I added castors under my GT Omega, but they're not retractable and definitely affect stability. It's like a passive motion rig, gets a proper wobble on at times.

Upvote 0
Being retractable makes a big difference. I wouldn't have left it up on casters while I was using it especially with a seat mover. I understand everyone has different needs. It looks like you are going for something more compact like the Heusinkveld 8020 platform. It has no room for a seat mover but occupies a minimum of space. I'm not claiming my solution is perfect or handles everyone's needs.

Since I'm on carpet, I had considered going the route of using Super Sliders which add a step every time you want to move your rig, but still keeps things compact. They seem to work pretty well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WAK5VG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.5%