need some help with a new motherboard

Hi all,

I'm installing a new mobo its the asus maximus hero VIII, now as far as I'm aware I have everything connected correctly, i've been over it and over it connecting and reconnecting all the parts and to my knowledge it's all correctly put together. but it refuses to start there is power going to the board I can tell by the start button on the board is lit up. but as I was connecting and reconnecting I took out the atx power cable and low and behold it started but the monitor remained off, so my thinking is that there is not enough power to drive the monitor?
so I reconnected the atx plug, now there is nothing no power.
I'm not by any means the most prolific builder, I've done a few but I consider myself a novice so I thought I'd ask if you guys could shed any light on it :)

My spec :-
CPU - i7 6700k o/c @4.4
Cooler - Thermaltake water 3.0
GFX Card - GTX 1080
PSU - 750
300 gb SSD
3 Tb HHD
Windows 10 64 bit

EDIT,
I now have power to the motherboard, my psu was faulty so I replaced it with the original one I had 550 watt and I now have power but now I'm stuck with the same problem if I plug in the atx plug I have power to the board i.e. the red start light is lit up but it refuses to boot at all, if I remove the atx plug and leave in the 24 pin plug it boots (the fans and led's and the pump come on) but it wont post to the monitor no bios nothing, very strange!!
I have this posted on another forum but I thought I would post it here as I need help.
Could it be that the mobo is faulty?

• Deleted member 197115

upload_2019-8-17_8-37-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-17_8-36-25.png
    upload_2019-8-17_8-36-25.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 249
Hi Andrew, the board I have only has the ATX 8 pin and the 24 pin connections which I have connected but it refuses to boot, but as I said above if I take the 8 pin out it boots as in the fans and the pump and all the lights/LEDs light but nothing on the monitor.

Are there any debug LEDs or post code digits being shown to you on the board?

I'm wondering if it could be worth you removing the CPU and having a close look at the pins, just to make sure nothing is bent or not making good contact.

The post code digits are 00 so no help there and the CPU is good as I replaced my old motherboard last night to check, that's why it has me stumped, the only thing I can think of ATM is a faulty board.

• Deleted member 197115

Hi Andrew, the board I have only has the ATX 8 pin and the 24 pin connections which I have connected but it refuses to boot, but as I said above if I take the 8 pin out it boots as in the fans and the pump and all the lights/LEDs light but nothing on the monitor.
I once forgot to plug the little one it, took me a bit to figure that out.
Check out front IO connectors, the ones that go to power/reset button. Make sure they are in the right orientation.

• Deleted member 197115

Other than that, try to reset CMOS, may be PSU is not adequate for your setup or just faulty.
Try to hook monitor to onboard video if you have one.
Manual for you mobo if you don't have one.

Thanks Andrew, I tried all that m8, that board has an onboard on and off and reset buttons so that you work with it without the case, the first pay I had was a 750 watt and it blew while I was working on the board, so I have a 550 watt now, that's what makes me think the board is faulty, I have another board arriving on Thursday so I'll see if it's the board if this new one doesn't work I don't know what I'll do.
Thanks for the manual m8, much appreciated.

You have a board that just doesn't POST.

Unless you maybe have a too new CPU that you would have to update the BIOS for (check that) the board is defective, so you need to buy a new one.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 40.0%