Need help creating a new vehicle within an existing mod (not skin)

Hi fellas, i downloaded the AE86 club mod and i've totaly remade the physicsfiles for it, it's for personal use only and will not be
uploaded anywhere.

Now i want my version to be a stand alone vehicle within the AE86 mod.. how the heck do i do that?

Since RSC went down it's been hard to find online documentation in detail how to do stuff like this in rFactor
so i turn to you guys if you have any links or some quick info about what needs to be where and what it should be named.

Rock on fellas and get back to me as fast as you can if you know anything!

Im online at MSN as well, jonas.hammar@live.se Feel free to add and help out, Rock on people!!

Later :cool:

Slow connection today... finally downloaded

OK. Go to the folder rfactor/gamedata/vehicles/AE86_N2/LEVIN

Copy folder ADVAN and rename it XXXXX. XXXXX is the name of your car (i used KNUTO)

Enter folder XXXXX

Rename files:
ADVAN_25.dds --->XXXXX_88.dds
ADVAN_25.veh --->XXXXX_88.veh
ADVAN_25driver.dds --->XXXXX_88driver.dds
ADVAN_25extra1.dds --->XXXXX_88extra1.dds
ADVAN_25extra2.dds --->XXXXX_88extra2.dds
ADVAN_25helmet.dds --->XXXXX_88helmet.dds
ADVAN_25window.dds --->XXXXX_88window.dds

(I use 88 as a number for my car. You can use any number as long as theres no conflict with other AE86s)

Open XXXXX_88.veh in notepad and change these lines:

DefaultLivery="XXXXX_88.dds"
Number=88
Description="#88 ADVAN COROLLA 1985"
Team="Something"
FullTeamName="Something"

Now the car is exactly the same as the ADVAN. When I open rFactor I can now choose the car called "Something". To use your own physics file change the following line in XXXXX_88.veh:

HDVehicle="your_physics_file".hdv

okay so let me get this straight

Inside the HDV i have directed the folowing files to new versions:

AE86_Levin.pm
AE86_Levin.sfx
AE86_Levin_Cams.cam
AE86_Levin_Cockpitinfo.ini
AE86_Levin_Damage.ini
AE86_Levin_Engine.ini
AE86_Levin_Gears.ini
AE86_Levin_Spinner.gen
AE86_Levin_Tire.tbc

Can i place these in my XXXX folder or do they need to be in the Levin folder?
and if they can be in the XXXX folder, do i need to add anything into the different INI's so they look for eachother in another folder than \Levin

okay so let me get this straight

Inside the HDV i have directed the folowing files to new versions:

AE86_Levin.pm
AE86_Levin.sfx
AE86_Levin_Cams.cam
AE86_Levin_Cockpitinfo.ini
AE86_Levin_Damage.ini
AE86_Levin_Engine.ini
AE86_Levin_Gears.ini
AE86_Levin_Spinner.gen
AE86_Levin_Tire.tbc

Can i place these in my XXXX folder or do they need to be in the Levin folder?
and if they can be in the XXXX folder, do i need to add anything into the different INI's so they look for eachother in another folder than \Levin

I think they should stay in the LEVIN folder together with your hdv file. Try that first and see if it works. If it does you can try to move them into the XXXXX folder and see if it still works:)

i think i managed to put at least some of the files within the new XXXX folder, the SFX,HDV,GEARS,ENGINE,TIRE,CAM can all be placed in the XXXX folder, i'll keep fiddeling around.

Thanks ALOT for your help mate!!

No problem mate. Let me know if there is something else I can help with. BTW what did you do to this car? :D

I would recommend using carFactory. Very useful tool when setting up the physics of the car.

Hi Knut, sorry for not replying in a while, again Thanks a heap for all your help and your quick respons,
this is what i love about the modding community.

I remade most of the general physics of the car, the engine does now put out about 245-250 hp from 8900rpm
on to the peak of 250hp at 10.000rpm before the rev limiter kicks in (at it's highest setting) I remade the suspension
in the HDV leaving the setup in the PM as it was, it's now softer and a bit more dynamic, more like
a cup car than a race-car (it was too stiff and too nonforgiving before). In order to get the car to behave the
way i wanted i've increased the mass to about 1000 kg and the yaw-inertia is increased to make it a little bit
less twitchy, i tweaked the slipcurve a bit and even tho it may not represent how physics work in real life,
i use the same tireslip curve for all modes, turning, braking, accelerating. The tires has a bit more grip and the
brakes are a bit more effective (couldn't even lock up at 100% in standard mod)
i Added a pitlimiter and increased the life of the engine since the max rev is increased, i changed the SFX file to
make the mid and high_on sound to push all the way up to 10.000rpm before the revlimiter-sound kicks in
(standard was at about 8500 as max if im not wrong)

i've checked through some logs and stuff and Levin and Panda cup cars between -1.9 -3.0 degrees of rear camber
and quite a hefty 1.5 degree of toe in rear, changed around a bit to make that feel realistic.

What i ended up with is a 250hp car that with the same setup is sweet for grip-racing, and when the rear steps out
you can floor it and keep a powerdrift and just countersteer (yep in rFactor..) your way out of the drift.

i can try and make a video of it if you like?

Regarding Carfactory I use it only to review my suspension and aero, to check that I've made the right input. I think I recognize your problem. When I open Carfactory and go to the "car" tab I load the hdv file and nothing shows. However, go to the "analysis" tab and click open hdv. Now you can view the suspension aero and tires. You can also go to kinematic tab and check bumpsteer etc...

I did try a drift mod for rFactor in the past, but I wasn't that impressed... Sounds like you managed to better the physics. Would be nice to see a drift video:)

I knew they ran decent amount of camber but 1.5 degrees rear toe:D That was new to me.

yeah that's an extreme toe-value, im not sure how they manage to keep them tires from shredding, but i suppose it has something to do with the fact that the car has basicly nothing to pull the rear end down, no weight, nor any real downforce, guess the rear end gets a bit tricky when passing 200hp hehe.

yeah i'll post a video, dont get me wrong, it's not a drift car, but it's by far the best ive tried so far in rF, you can race it hard, come to a point where you overdo it and you can save it most of the time without the whole rF engine just screaming at you telling you "THIS IS NOT HOW IT FEELS IN REAL LIFE!!"

Knut, why dont ya just add me to MSN jonas.hammar@live.se I have loads of questions, im new at this!!

An easier way to do it would have been to create a new VEH file for all the cars and prefix it with your initials, for example FQAE6_12.veh do that fdor all the cars. Then change the insides to have a different class of car, maybe once again prefix it with your initials. Also point to the new HDV file and the new Sounds file or whatever you are adding. Make a new rFM and point to that class. Once you have done that your original mod stays intact, you only have an extra 1mb weight in your files and you are done. All the new veh files reside in the original folders with the original DDS files.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%