Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Need for Speed Payback Trailer.jpg

Electronic Arts have released a new Need for Speed Payback trailer at Gamescom, revealing more footage of this polished looking arcade street racing title.

Scheduled to release in just under three months time across both console and PC, Need for Speed Payback will represent the very latest entry into the hugely popular and long running driving / racing game franchise.

Containing the usual mix of exotic cars, seemingly endless tuning options and the now expected large scale police chases and general chaos, Payback looks set to be a return to the routes of a title that has seemingly shifted focus between each release of the series.

Now benefitting from what the developers claim to be an all new and improved police AI, the player should find a more dynamic and challenging battle with law enforcement as they look to navigate their way around Fortune Valley. The local police will come in a number of different guises within the game, and should "work together as a unit, utilising manoeuvres as a group and adapting their behaviour based on your speed", providing a much more realistic and challenging set of behaviours than seen in previous Need for Speed games.

As always the title appears to be presented slickly with high level graphics, immersing players in the fictional world of the three playable characters. Former street racing champion Tyler Morgan (The Racer), Mac (The Showman) and Jess (The Wheelman) will be playable within the game story as they attempt to navigate the fictional streets of Fortune Valley.

Thanks to the current Gamescom event in Germany, Ghost Games and EA have released a brand new trailer featuring plenty of stylised footage from the title, which can be viewed below:

Payback will feature five type of car classes as standard, broken down into the game staple of 'Race' where players will take to the streets in head to head competition against other drivers and rivals within the game world. 'Off road' will take the player onto a variety of surfaces from dirt and sand around twisting roads and killer jumps, giving both car and driver a different visual and driving feel to the main world environment. 'Drag' will be focused around the ability to accelerate and achieve high speeds in the quickest way possible, pushing car, player and tuning options to the edge of performance as you race against rivals and the stop watch for victory and the credits those wins are rewarded with. "Drift" will be for specially designed cars to perform wild drifting manoeuvres around the standard game map and special drift locations. The 'Runner' class looks set to be a special kind of car to be used within certain jobs in the game story mode. Featuring little styling differences to the usual car categories, these vehicles will be required to help the player progress the story script and earn the right to move further into the virtual world of Need for Speed Payback.

Need for Speed Payback will be released on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC November 10th 2017.

Need for Speed Payback Trailer 2.jpg

Need for Speed Payback Trailer 3.jpg
Need for Speed Payback Trailer 4.jpg

For more news on this and other games involving two and four wheels, check out the Other Racing Games sub forum here at RaceDepartment. Drop in, have a browse and leave a comment today?

What are your impressions from the footage of Need for Speed Payback revealed so far? Do you like the look of the new game? Would you consider purchasing Payback once it releases later in the year? Let us know in the comments section below!

I think maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed NFS 2016. A lot of people dismissed it for the usual reasons, but it was the most enjoyable drifting physics that I had experienced. The open-world was more interesting than any of the other open-worlds from the franchise's past decade. And the mixed-reality cutscenes where they superimposed a live rendering of the players' customized car into a full motion video of real life actors in a real life scene was incredibly clever. And there was lots of post-release free DLC.

These games are supposed to make the player feel like a badass, and NFS16 did that well. Hopefully Ghost Games can carry that momentum into NFS:p.

Of course it helps that the game and Frostbite engine are absolutely gorgeous.
TvpsoCd.jpg

, but I really enjoyed NFS 2016. A lot of people dismissed it for the usual reasons, but it was the most enjoyable drifting physics that I had experienced. The open-world was more interesting than any of the other open-worlds from the franchise's past decade.

Of course it helps that the game and Frostbite engine are absolutely gorgeous.
TvpsoCd.jpg

Same here. Really enjoyed NFS 2015. Unfortunately, the game was not that long so upgrading and customisation killed and consumed massive time along with snaping shots all over ventura bay :roflmao:.

Still Will wait for a good offer before pulling the trigger on Payback...

Back_to_Ventura_Bay by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

#NeedForSpeed #VenturaBay #SnapShotPro #GhostGames #EA by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

If there's one thing I can give credit to NFS for these days it's that the graphics are outstanding and demolish every sim title out there in that regard.

But really, I could'nt care less about NFS :p

Crap....Cops....
My butthole is puckering from cringe already, I get the cheese for cheese sake, but seriously, even with that in mind it is still a hard swallow, I dont even think they are being ironic with it.

• Deleted member 197115

once you play forza horizon 3, the crew, etc its impossible to go back to nfs
True, may be they'll add Hot Pursuit Expansion. That would be quite awesome.
NFS2016, couldn't even get to proper races because of the stupid unskippable "Dude, bro" cutcscenes.(barf).
Rivals was not bad, but really hard to get back to after FH3. Hot Pursuit 2010 is the best.

Great just what we need. Another controller game. How about supporting a true sim rig.
Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, rFactor, iRacing, Automobilista, RaceRoom, DiRT, F1, etc

Sim racers have more options than ever and you still complain that other games are being made for other types of people.

I just think it's funny how some people think that things they don't like have no right to exist.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 443 39.6%