2019 and it amazes me that people still care about NFS.
I assume many still hope, viewing these night screenshots, that a new nfs underground 2 will get a sequel. Still my favorite arcade racing game (with ghe original nfsmw and the hot pursuit reboot), the physics made sense (and you had to set up your car for each type of race, as there were various, no other nfs game did that after nfsu2), the city looked great and had really different unique areas, a remaster would be welcome.

But that won't happen. People care about nfs but nothing can be expected from this franchise at the moment.

Yeah I suppose it is quite similar to Forza, Forza having slightly more realistic approach to physics.
I do like the night & rain though, don't remember if Forza had that looking this good

Sounds like most in this thread are taking ALL of this way too seriously. It's a goof-around game. Do burnouts. Run from cops. Pimp your ride. Lol. What's the big deal? No wheel support? Who cares? And if RD wants in on here because it contains cars and you can drive them, then so be it. Gee wiz. Please don't everyone be so serious.

Perhaps so.

But there's so many other more interesting game genres for me, than "driving" without actual driving. Simulations have appeal, because of their deep physics and immersive/informative control method (wheel).

If you take out those, you get the most boring thing ever. Choose if you turn left or right. Without the depth of the physics, driving a car is really boring concept. You literally can just choose if you turn left or right.

Maybe there's people who only play car/driving related games. So they'll accept these "lighter" driving games, as "light snacks", because they don't play anything without cars in them. I find that quite limiting, I just rather play something totally else at that point. A complex multiplayer FPS shooter, or strategy like Civilization... something that stimulates my intelligence by giving countless different options for what to do in each situation. Instead of left and right.

Left or right isn't stimulating... without simulating. If I'm allowed to get a bit poetic here

Last edited:
I assume many still hope, viewing these night screenshots, that a new nfs underground 2 will get a sequel. Still my favorite arcade racing game (with ghe original nfsmw and the hot pursuit reboot), the physics made sense (and you had to set up your car for each type of race, as there were various, no other nfs game did that after nfsu2), the city looked great and had really different unique areas, a remaster would be welcome.

But that won't happen. People care about nfs but nothing can be expected from this franchise at the moment.
I will have hope when (and if) Rockstar announces a new Midnight Club, even if it's just a DLC for a GTA.

And Forza Horizon feels the gap for a top-tier arcade racer... we don't need to put our hopes over a NFS.

Crappy & unenjoyable physics.

Call me when an arcade game matches the physics and driving/racing pleasure of the Project Gotham Racing series. I still play them today sometimes. Coming from PC sims, the PGR games are literally the only arcade games I can play for more than 5 mins (sometimes hours) and enjoy.

Ya. The original NFSU 1&2 were great arcade games. That's actually how I got my friend into PC racing with a wheel and later onto sims (RF1) - by playing NFSU (1 or 2, can't remember) with a Logitech Momo Racing wheel.

Last edited:
I don't need a wheel, vr or wheel support. It's just fun racing for a few minutes on the couch.

Do you race Mario kart in VR too on a motion simulator with your kids? ;)
Just a few minutes!? Come on now :p It is a pretty entertaining game with good visuals and pleasant handling with a controller - I enjoy playing it and found myself spinning it for more than a few minutes at night :) my 3 year old loves the police car chases...

I will have hope when (and if) Rockstar announces a new Midnight Club, even if it's just a DLC for a GTA.

And Forza Horizon feels the gap for a top-tier arcade racer... we don't need to put our hopes over a NFS.
Well, the crew 1 is also enjoyable (with onboard view), but ypu can be bored after a while, forza horizon seem to be in the same league, but I still prefer nfsu2 with its unique style and its variety of.races and tracks.

The last 2 NFS games in NFS 2015 and Payback eventually got wheel support on PC months down the line. Keep an eye out if you're desperate.

Personally, I'll keep an eye out and maybe get it on the cheap 'cause "EA Bad" but Horizon (especially 4 with the track editor and better handling) easily fills the void NFS left years ago.

*Edit Tried it with EA access....oh boy. The default Xbone gamepad layout for manual trans is a f--king nightmare and you can't rebind controls. Amazes me that Playground can dial in both gamepad and wheel with far less budget but Ghost with EA's backing manages to screw something up EVERY TIME. I have to play with auto trans/easy setting and it just sucks the fun/challenge outta the whole thing.

Give it a wide birth for now, ladies and gents. It's trash.

Last edited:
I don't need a wheel, vr or wheel support. It's just fun racing for a few minutes on the couch.

Do you race Mario kart in VR too on a motion simulator with your kids? ;)

Actually there was a Mario Kart edition for the Wii with a plastic wheel. You just put your controller into it and drive with a wheel in your hands. ;) So if i could already play Mario Kart with my daughter i would actually use this. ;)
pa.104699.10.jpg

Actually there was a Mario Kart edition for the Wii with a plastic wheel. You just put your controller into it and drive with a wheel in your hands. ;) So if i could already play Mario Kart with my daughter i would actually use this. ;)
pa.104699.10.jpg
:) I think Fanatec is working on one of these wheels. $1,200.00

No. Wheel. Support.

I'm outa this.
I was going to complain about no VR support, when I saw your post, no wheel support, really, I get that RD is catering to an audience that is larger than just hardcore SIM, which is a good thing on many levels, but news on a driving game who does not support wheels and not even cockpit view, if I got it right, in 2019!That is a bit much and disappointing.
My kids have kids of their own and are not interested in any form of racing games, but my 2 grandaughters, 3 and 5, are very interested in sitting on pappies laps to drive the cars in the goggle and zero interest in moving the car on the screen with the pad. I hope it answers your question.;)
Bram, it is your web site, if you are happy trying to promote game like this one, I am happy for you. I am not sure how it will help RD main mission and how it fits in the main reason you enjoy SIM, which is racing online with other SIM racers, as per the podcast you did earlier this year with Paul and Paul.
I was just expressing my opinion that this one is a little extreme, at least even Mario Kart has wheel support, I believe.

Like everybody else I started with an arcade game and using a pad, so I get it, we need to cater to the next wave if we hope to keep this amazing hobby growing in the future. I am just feeling that this one is really in the fringe.:)
I only got my simrace setup at high-grade-level able to play this game, so i am definetely interested in wheel support.

This is a deal-breaker, thank you for the info Rendelius.

These imho sarcastic comments can be saved (especially since coming from site-admins).

Anyway to bad, as i was looking for a non-serious race-game able to be played on my simrace-setup.
2019 and it amazes me that people still care about NFS.

ok boomer

Perhaps so.

But there's so many other more interesting game genres for me, than "driving" without actual driving. Simulations have appeal, because of their deep physics and immersive/informative control method (wheel).

If you take out those, you get the most boring thing ever. Choose if you turn left or right. Without the depth of the physics, driving a car is really boring concept. You literally can just choose if you turn left or right.

Maybe there's people who only play car/driving related games. So they'll accept these "lighter" driving games, as "light snacks", because they don't play anything without cars in them. I find that quite limiting, I just rather play something totally else at that point. A complex multiplayer FPS shooter, or strategy like Civilization... something that stimulates my intelligence by giving countless different options for what to do in each situation. Instead of left and right.

Left or right isn't stimulating... without simulating. If I'm allowed to get a bit poetic here

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Need For Speed Heat. The physics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the game will go over a typical simracers head. There's also Lucas Riveras nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of the plot, to realise that they're not just serious- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Need For Speed Heat truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate the game, for instance, the humour in the pink flamingos hidden across the map which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Ghost Games genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Need For Speed tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within .5 seconds of my fastest lap time (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

NFS 2015, Payback and Heat are all basically remakes of the Underground 2/Most Wanted formula. The car tuning is not as extensive as NFSU2 and instead focuses on having different cars for different disciplines, but a lot of the aspects that people commonly cite about liking in NFSU2 and MW are in there. Including the whole cheesy story things that it doesn't really need 0_o.
I would say it doesn't do them *well*, although part of me wonders if I would have loved Most Wanted as much as I did if it came out today. It definitely had it's own very cheesy story it doesn't really need, and the car's physics were definitely less fun then they are in heat. MW had it's cars glued to the ground.

I would love to see a lot of NFS games re-released and/or remastered, but I think the whole car-licensing process makes that a lot harder.

Last edited:
I didn't realize RD had a Mario Kart section! About damn time! :laugh: I haven't tried it yet but there's a VR game on Steam that looks a lot like Mario Kart and gets positive reviews. Anyone tried it?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 369 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 246 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%