Need bit of advise on PC gaming

apex11

@Simberia
OK so looking at making the jump to PC gaming mainly for racing games
PCars
raceroom
AC
AMS
and the older stuff like GTR Race7 GT legends etc etc.

So heres the specs of system i will be running on.
ASUS M5A97 PRO ATX
AMD FX6100 3.3GHZ
1TB HARD DRIVE
2GB EVGA NIVIDIA GEFORCE GTX650 PCI-E

Now i have an xbox one also so are those specs above acceptable to play the games listed?

Also i have a TX wheel FFB, can i simply connect it to the PC when i want to use it or do i have to have another wheel for the PC if i use it on the xbox aswell?

cheers.

100% agreed so I think you didn't meant me to be ignored :)
You have exactly the config I would recommend. i5 with a k, and a mid to high end GPU. Nice rig!

I would like to add that an i5 or i7 with a K is just that particular CPU with an unlocked multiplier, which allows for overclocking. This strictly isn't necessary unless you wish to overclock.

You also have to consider AMD now that Ryzen is out there.

Upvote 0
I would like to add that an i5 or i7 with a K is just that particular CPU with an unlocked multiplier, which allows for overclocking. This strictly isn't necessary unless you wish to overclock.

You also have to consider AMD now that Ryzen is out there.
That is right. But I can recommend it though. My i7 would be too weak since 1-2 years. I got a better cooler for 30€ and have +30% power now. The non k I7 2600 was 210€ (k = 245€) so it was worth it. Every guy I know did regret that he didn't buy the "k" version which is why I recommend to spend that extra money just to be good for the future.
(the AMD's are always overclockable!)

Upvote 0
So i got the set up with 1060 and downloaded Raceroom off steam.....oh my...what a sublime sim. Actually love it!! But seems underrated? Is that down to the bizarre store structure?

Upvote 0
So i got the set up with 1060 and downloaded Raceroom off steam.....oh my...what a sublime sim. Actually love it!! But seems underrated? Is that down to the bizarre store structure?
Nice setup! Congratulations :)
Yes, raceroom has a very bizarre store structure. I like that you can pick the content you like but it is quiet expensive. I would be willing to pay the price if the multiplayer would be better but I think everyone has this thought so in the end... No one plays it :(
I took part in a few Rookie Audi TT events here on racedepartment. Very nice game and fun races! Only the collusion physic is a bit unforgiving :/

Upvote 0
Yes collisions are worse than PCars, infact not sure I've played a recent sim that conveys collisions well at all..... I'm struggling to remember a game that had this done well but i'm sure the ToCA series right up to GRiD was good for cars to do a bit of rubbin is racin.

Raceroom feels right to me in driving physics for the most part, that's based on 20 years of driving cars on roads and also track days and having driven race cars and karts etc, raceroom doesn't have that cliff face drop off feeling of driving on ice over the limit.

Upvote 0
Yes collisions are worse than PCars, infact not sure I've played a recent sim that conveys collisions well at all..... I'm struggling to remember a game that had this done well but i'm sure the ToCA series right up to GRiD was good for cars to do a bit of rubbin is racin.

Raceroom feels right to me in driving physics for the most part, that's based on 20 years of driving cars on roads and also track days and having driven race cars and karts etc, raceroom doesn't have that cliff face drop off feeling of driving on ice over the limit.
Yes! I LOVE the "grippy" feeling in Raceroom! The FFB is also the best I know.
Assetto Corsa with good Wheel-Settings feels similar imho and fits my interests better at the moment (and is more forgiving when touching other cars!).

If you want to dig deeper into Raceroom you should read the sticky thread in the Raceroom Forum! Very good explanation on how to get the most out of the wallet :)

Upvote 0
I downloaded AC from steam today, have AC on xbox and its night and day man, like a differnet game on PC.
I understand now that my core i3 isn't up to par but the rest is more than enough so for 400 quid i'm well chuffed, TX wheel set up no problem and loving being a PC gamer at last!! Can i now start belittling console users?!

I'm just joking...

Upvote 0
I downloaded AC from steam today, have AC on xbox and its night and day man, like a differnet game on PC.
I understand now that my core i3 isn't up to par but the rest is more than enough so for 400 quid i'm well chuffed, TX wheel set up no problem and loving being a PC gamer at last!! Can i now start belittling console users?!

I'm just joking...

Haha :D Happy to hear that! The i3 is not the fastest but it is "enough" :) Shadows and AI cars is the most heavy on the CPU so tune them down if you need more frames!
And yes, welcome to the PC Master Race :roflmao::coffee:
PC_MasterRace.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NOT to hijack this thread, trying to help a friend and his system currently is (not familiar what is good or required for new gen simracing):
- CPU Intel i7-3820
- RAM 16GB (trying to get details)
- motherboard (trying to find out)
- GPU AMD Radeon HD 7900 series (3GB GDDR5)
- 128GB main HDD (not SSD)
- 512GB backup HDD (not SSD)

- TV: Samsung UN55ES8000FXZA

what do you guys think ?

thank you all.

Upvote 0
NOT to hijack this thread, trying to help a friend and his system currently is (not familiar what is good or required for new gen simracing):
- CPU Intel i7-3820 i7 is fine, this has "only" 3.8 ghz turbo and can't be overclocked but should be enough for all modern racing games! It's a powerful CPU!
- RAM 16GB (trying to get details) RAM isn't so important. If you have enough! 16GB is more than enough and the MHz only give you 10-20% boost on CPU, which is NOT needed!
- motherboard (trying to find out) CPU can't be OCed so MB doesn't really matter. All "standard" MBs have enough USB ports etc :)
- GPU AMD Radeon HD 7900 series (3GB GDDR5) Well the 7900 is kind of old but once was High End! So if he plays on FullHD low-medium settings, even high settings on a few sims should be realistic. But on lowest settings all should be definitely running fine!!
HDDs are big enough, a SSD only boosts the workflow, not the gaming performance once you are InGame! So while you have 2-5x loading time, the frames per second should be the same :)

- TV: Samsung UN55ES8000FXZA Good TV, I have the 55H series. Good quality and the 8000 series is kind of high end! Make sure to go into the menu->general->gaming mode->enabled! It cuts off all the post processing like the smoothing but reduces the input lag MASSIVELY!

what do you guys think ?
He should be fine :) Definitely still playable!
thank you all.

Upvote 0
- CPU Intel i7-3820
- RAM 16GB (trying to get details)
- motherboard (trying to find out)
- GPU AMD Radeon HD 7900 series (3GB GDDR5)

- TV: Samsung UN55ES8000FXZA

what do you guys think ?

thank you all.

The CPU is still okay for gaming. Not a terrible GPU, on par with the GTX 670. No chance with running the highest visuals settings. Low with some medium settings, and no anti-aliasing and it should be okay.

Easy to test mind. There's a free version of Project Cars on Steam 'Project CARS - Pagani Edition'. And free content on RaceRoom, so there's no harm in testing.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back