NASCAR - The Game 2011

I've ordered a copy for the PS3 from amazon.com and would've had it today had the wife not been asleep when DHL attempted delivery! Hopefully I'll be able to collect it tomorrow and will share my thoughts. If the game is half as impressive as amazon's international delivery (quicker than their domestic UK delivery) this game will be great.

If any one else gets this feel free to hit me up for some online action my gamertags are da_g3nrul3 (UK) and ruleof76 (US) - I'm not sure which account will be needed for playing online.

NTG 2011 setups anybody?

does anyone have any goos setups for this game i cant seem to get quick enough to compete online. if fact i seem to make the car worse then what it was to begin with.

So far I am not too impressed by NTG 2011

Gotta say, so far, not too impressed. I picked up 'Nascar the game' for PS3 a couple of days ago. The driving itself doesn't seem bad but there isn't any setting up of a car, just a couple of very basic changes. Even the actual driving could be better. For instance, I started up the game and picked Las Vegas on medium level and won pole by almost 3 seconds. Started over right away at the hardest level and still qual. 1st but just by a couple tenths. Started the race and led several laps 'til I made a mistake and smoked the wall. So far I think I'm regretting paying full price. I'm going back to F1 2010.

NTG 2011 (user review)

I like the game. I gave the game a quick blast on Saturday night and before I knew it a couple of hours had passed. I don't have a huge amount of spare time for gaming these days so I bought the game hoping for a game I could pick up and play for 20-30 mins and hopefully enjoy close racing action. I'd say the game definitely delivers on that front for me.

The front end of the game is a little disappointing. Apart from tweaking set ups (each track has an individually tailored base setup like F1 2010 and with the advanced options you can do a reasonably in-depth setup for each wheel (inc tyre pressure and individially and make the usual rebound, etc. adjustments to the suspension, grill tape, etc.), designing paint schemes, you have very few options to choose from apart from launching straight into a game be it, single player, multiplayer or career (one season in length - stats for poles, fast laps, wins, etc do carry over).

All of the pre-race presentation has been devoted to the career mode, as when I did a quick race it just launched into qualifying without any pre-race build up.

So far I've practiced a few tracks (Daytona and Bristol), raced Daytona, Vegas (online) and Indy. Like Mike, I qualified on pole with ease with the AI set to medium I qualified in Daytona 2 secs ahead of 2nd (the race was closer) and in Indy I set the AI to Hard and qualified 0.5 sec ahead of 2nd without a clean lap. However, the slow AI qualifying is on the list to fix in the next patch.

I used a controller in the first race with assists on medium. The car was very easy to control and the handling was responsive and would be confident in the middle of a big pack using the controller.

Not one for taking baby steps, I switched my wheel (Fanatec Turbo S) with no driving aids. I've yet to find perfect settings but so far I'd say that with a few minor tweaks I've got a driveable setup which seems to work well on both the superspeedway of Daytona and the tight track at Bristol but steering felt a little unresponsive at Indy (this is probably due to lack of banking in the corners and me not taking enough speed off to take the corners properly). At the moment, I wouldn't be too confident using the wheel whilst bunched in a pack. Hopefully this will come with a bit of fine tuning/more experience of close racing. I also find I have a tendency to veer towards the apron but this may be easily correct by adding in some steering assist which offets the effect of the stagger on the straights.

I was disappointed to find there were no in game settings to make adjustments for the wheel but I'm not sure whether this is due to the game not recognising the wheel as Fanatec is not being officially supported (again, the 2nd patch is looking to add in support for the Fanatec GT2 - so hopefully that'll also cover the PWTS).

I've also given online a quick blast. A number of issues have been reported which Eutechnyx (sp?) are looking to fix in the next patch but, apart from taking a while to find a game to join (using quick race) and the race taking a long time to load (this caused 7 of the 12 people to lose patience), I didn't experience any lag or other issues that had been reported (but I could've sworn that I had to overtake the pace car after the green flag dropped!).

Like Mike says above, the driving itself is good, the close racing is quite challenging on the harder difficulty levels (especially with a wheel - at least for me), the drafting effects are probably a tad over-exaggerated. The cockpit views are great, you get a good sense of speed and I noticed some glare from the sun on the windshield while running down the back straight at Indy. You get a good sense of when you are close to the wall and when you drift too wide at a bend it is difficult to keep the car from scraping the wall, which I imagine is a reasonably accurate recreation of the real thing.

Like F1 2010 (which I also really enjoy) I think the game has come in for some harsh criticism, so of it unduly harsh. In its current state I think the game is very playable and enjoyable. I think Eutechnyx have done a very good job (given it is their first attempt at Nascar) and NTG 2011 provides a solid base on which to build future versions.

Thanks Matt for that excellent review!
I was getting tired of everyone just saying "it's too arcade." I wanted to know how the game actually plays, and if it's fun, even if it's not a super-precise simulator... and you delivered.

I was going to hold off on getting this game, but after your review and finding out about the patch, my wallet's already starting to get warm!

My biggest problem will be the lack of TrackIR on PS3. I feel like my head's locked in a vice in-game if I don't have it. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing GT5.

Started over right away at the hardest level and still qual. 1st but just by a couple tenths. Started the race and led several laps 'til I made a mistake and smoked the wall.

Actually... that sounds like good oval racing to me. You can always push harder to get out front, but risk losing control. If you are a little less aggressive, you might not have the lead, but you'll maintain control and run with the pack, which is what makes NASCAR exciting.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here.?

Jeremy...What I was intending is that the game was too easy. I (generic sim racer) shouldn't be be able to step into a stock car, with the games simple setup, qualify first on the hardest level against some of the best drivers in the world, the first time I fire the game up. Now, that being said, I have been playing it more and it is growing on me. Now what is getting under my skin are the numerous bugs. I have read about the upcoming patch and I hope it will repair most of these. The actual driving of the sim seems pretty accurate.

Patch #2 Fix List and Status (Updated 04/14/11)

Bugs:
  • Fix lack of Caution Flags - Fixed
  • Fix issues with the A.I. exiting the pits and then pulling straight up the track - Fixed
  • Fix Cautions Lights being illuminated all of the time - Fixed
  • Improve the PS3 voice comms - Fixed
  • Fix the instant wrecking during Online Rolling Starts - Fixed
  • Fix the Lobby Race Start Counter freezing - Fixed
  • Fix Spotter saying “Clear” too often - Fixed
  • Truex Jr. & Bill Elliott being corrupt during celebrations - Fixed (This may need to be held back until the DLC pack due to the size of the fix. Microsoft limits the size.)
  • Hardcore mode enabled on Xbox 360. PS3 already works - Fixed
  • Fix Custom Setups working Online - Fixed
  • Car rolling away during a celebration leaving the driver celebrating in mid-air - Fixed
  • Pace car lights in single player are on all of the time - Fixed
  • Issues with the Lucky Dog rule - Fixed
  • Issues with the Wave Around rule - Fixed
  • Improve FFB and wheel sensitivity options - Fixed
  • Slow Down indicator is no longer displayed on Talladega as it's a wide open track - Fixed
  • Fix the Rolling Starts Online/Offline so the cars begin in the correct formation and together - Work In Progress
  • Improve general stability and freezing issues - Work In Progress
  • Loss of Save - Work In Progress
  • Reconfigure the damage to improve the look and add more debris on impact - Work In Progress

Improvements:
  • In Private games, the host will start the timer when they are ready - Added
  • Add support for the Porsche GT2 wheel (XBox 360) - Added
  • Allow the HUD to be completely turned off - Added
  • Ensure only Carl Edwards performs a back flip - Fixed
  • Add the ability to change your Online Car - Added
  • Add proximity indicator to split screen - Added
  • Added Manufacturer Logos and Headlight / Taillight stickers to the Paint Shop- Added
  • Adding time to the lobby count down when people enter a lobby - Improved
  • Added a penalty mechanic to slow down the player when cutting corners on the Road Courses - Added
  • A.I. difficulty being too easy when qualifying - Improved
  • Added Wheel Control sensitivity option to the XBox 360 - Added
  • Allow the Rival Icon to be turned off, use In Game options menu - Added
  • Change the Gas indicator so it defaults to full in the pit stop interface - Added
  • Add support for the T500 wheel - Added
  • The sensitivity when using the stick to move / rotate etc. is too high - Improved
  • Disable rubber banding - Added
  • Legends Challenge, Only show the closest tag - Improved
  • When any players are in a race, players in the lobby should see “PLAYERS STILL RACING” where it currently reads “AWAITING OTHER DRIVERS” in the lobby - Improved
  • Added an Auto Kick system for removing disruptive players, Driving Backward or not Moving, in an online race - Added
  • A.I. bunching on certain tracks - Improved
  • Accelerated vinyl projection rendering, slightly faster on Xbox 360, almost twice as fast on PS3 - Improved
  • Upped custom decal layer count from 50 to 75 - Improved
  • Non-Supported wheels now have better general compatibility, Thustmaster (All) & Logitech (MoMo & GT Force) - Added
  • Draft effect both on the car and visual to be tweaked - To Be Fixed
  • Free up the A.I. cars so that when they are hit by a player they will get loose - To Be Fixed

Investigating:
  • A.I. being overly aggressive when bump drafting the player
  • A.I. pitting problems causing them to collide in to each other
  • A.I. slamming their brakes on for no reason
  • Hitting the wall often turns the car ending up with the player facing the wrong way

NOTE: We've now submitted Patch #2 for initial testing and we'll update the community with the results as and when we receive them.

Source

Lovely to see a developer properly supporting and communicating with it's user base.

Agreed, and they've been updating the patch list since the game came out. The great thing is I love the game already, would rate it an 7.5 out of 10 currently, so it's only going to get better. I'm going to wait for Patch #2 before officially reviewing the game, but so far I'm impressed, especially with the handling model.

The experience of a freshly baked steak and burning rubber can be nothing short of breathtaking. And all that can now be experienced from the comfort your own home with NASCAR 2011 the game. But is this eutechnyx developed game worth playing?

ntg2011.jpg

Modes
The first thing players will notice is the menu. This is honestly one of the best menus ever made. The garage in the background and track access cards while loading put me right into the NASCAR experience. An experience gained from many modes including career, quick race and online play. Now normally I'd say that career mode is where the mileage is at but this time I just can't.

Career mode let's you play as yourself or one of the 43 famous NASCAR sprint series drivers. As you race you gain experience, which can be put in new sponsorships or unlocks additional content, usually an invitational event or a color scheme. The sponsorship is a nice touch. After a couple of decent finishes you'll gain interest from famous sponsors. Put their logo on the car will unlock additional bonuses for predetermined criteria, like leading a race for 10 laps. And while the sponsorship is a great idea it only goes so far because career mode only supports one season, all hard earned respect goes lost after the 36st race, not great.

1sm-600x337.jpg

Racing
Luckily the cream of the crop is determined on track and in that respect NASCAR 2011 the game does very well. Racing with 43 other cars fighting for every inch of the racetrack is an experience unlike any.
During the race the game does a stellar job keeping you posted of the world around you. At the bottom of the screen the HUD gives a clear overview of the surrounding cars. And the tire and fuel indicators are essential for making it to the end of the race. Trust me I've had races where the tires would suddenly fall off a cliff, leading to the inevitable puncture.
This is both a good and a bad thing, because while it adds a nice strategic element to it, the execution lacks subtle cues. Tires tend to drop off quite harshly and any car damage is always brutal. I've experienced a race where the car would pull to the left leaving me counter steering through the entire thing - really exhausting!
Also tactical is the positioning of the front end. These cars drive quite heavily so the entry to a corner makes all the difference between ending in a giant swabble or reaching the finish line scot-free.
When you do make errors or decide go the long route, there's always the possibility to pit. In the pits a small screen pops up giving options for refueling, or changing tires. The only downside to this is that it yanks the player straight out of the immersion and switches to a fly cam until the car returns to the track.

nascar-2011.jpg

The same can be said about cautions. These flags, which indicate a safety car situation, add a big lottery to any race. In the game they don't come out too often (luckily?) but they do get the job done, although it would've been nice to stay in-car throughout the whole thing.
Reasons they don't come out too often probably have something to do with the AI. They tend to drive very cleanly and don't get tangled in each other’s tracks too often. When they approach an obstacle (probably you) they do a solid job in trying to avoid it, despite failing when in larger packs. Don't expect anything like the real thing though. The two-car bullet phenomenon, where one is the pusher, is definitely something you won't see in the game. The same can be said about strategic slipstreaming in packs or slingshots. But for the largest part the AI is satisfying.
Ultimately these elements do compliment the tactical sport that is NASCAR, and overall they've been implemented very nicely and do deliver close racing as is notorious for the sport, well done Eutechnyx!

Driving
So how do these cars drive? To find out I connected a G27 to the PS3 version of the game, and grinded my teeth in. To be honest I was a little anxious at first. Seeing a big oval banking coming up and knowing that the wheel is connected to 3500lbs of aluminum doesn't fair well with me. And after many laps of bravery and content, I can say that it definitely does what it says on the tin.
These V8 muscles are heavy and it feels that way. Changing direction is tough, punishing any rookie entry to the corner. Contrary to what you may think the smaller ovals are what really get to you.
Also important for any tight oval is skillful braking. The balance between high pedal pressure and soft is as big as light and day. Aggressive drivers will definitely find the car dancing under the pressure, leaving you pray to the upcoming attackers.
As I mentioned before damage adds to the excitement of racing. Any contact with the wall and you might find the car pulling to either side. Harder contact will hurt the transmission. The damage is both visually and mechanically pleasing, despite never willing to break the car completely. Even the hardest of impacts will not result in an automatic forfeit of the race, the only dent in the system.

NASCAR_Online_4-620x.jpg

To prevent damages you might want to tweak the car setup a little. Players can choose between a standard setup (auto tuned for the particular race) or become engineers themselves. Aspiring engineers can start out easy using a few sliders to change the downforce, tires and gearbox among other things. I think that most will really appreciate this simplified method of making setups. Go all out though and the game throws any possible tweak into the mix. I can't confirm this but I can imagine it being on par with real world NASCAR! And the best part is that all these efforts do pay off during the race, both in car-wear and stability.
I can't deny that I'm a fan of eutechnyx when it comes to gameplay and again they don't disappoint. With every aids off it’s maybe a bit shy of being a complete sim, but it’s challenging and the setup work is perfect. Likewise easy mode does a great job in offering a pick up and play experience to anyone new to the sport.

With the handling aced most will probably picture fantastic online battles, fighting till dusk and pushing the tires to their absolute limit, well don't. Online racing often falls short of the picture we have in our heads, because close racing can only be done with mutual respect. Unfortunately, and I can't blame the devs for this, the oval circuit lends itself perfectly for bump races and ghost riders. I can say that out of all the races I've been on, I finished not a single one with a feeling of satisfaction and content.
On the bright side I haven't experienced much failures in the online system myself, although I’ve heard complaints from other users. So when you do know a couple of fair buds that are up for a race, go for it! But for most racers, unfortunately, lack of skill/intention worldwide will mark this mode useless.

Presentation
NASCAR the game 2011 is out for the Wii (May 24th), PS3 and the xbox360. The last two versions are identical to each other and is the version that we used for this review.
The current gen is running on its final legs and it shows. The graphics while pushing 43 cars fall short of the best we've seen in the genre. The trackside objects look very flat and do a poor job in conveying the belief that you're part of a bigger world. On the flip side the cars look great and it can be really entertaining at times to read a cars backend infomercial.

NASCAR-The-Game-2011-Developer-Diary-Character-Profiles-Trailer_5.jpg

Also surprisingly good are the pre-race shows. These include hawks flying into the air and fireworks as the cars pass the pit straight, things you'd expect in real NASCAR racing. But again unfortunately the in-car experience doesn't live up to the immersion.
This isn't particularly helped by the sound. No matter the view you're in the engine always sounds the same. It lacks a rough edge and is too clean overall. Less clean is the sound of the spotter. This director up in the sky helps the driver pick the best lines and keeps him up to date of the swabbles ahead. In the game however he feels the need to repeat, confuse and annoy, within spectacular short timeframes. He especially feels the need to repeat "all clear" when driving on an island for numerous laps. I do feel that further tweaking and a few extra lines would greatly help the spotter implementation.

Conclusions
NASCAR 2011 the game is the first of the series and is shows. On top of that the graphics suffer from having to run 43 cars at all times. Still the racing itself is great and does offer a lot of joy, even when you're not familiar with the sport. The proper implementation of damage, tire wear and fuel compliments this feature.
The biggest problem, in my eyes, is the fact that you may find it unrewarding to race. Online is a hit or miss and the career mode isn't up to speed just yet. And because of that your mileage may vary to the largest extend, making this title a recommend only to the biggest of NASCAR fans or the purest of racers.

Modes: 4/10
Career mode could do with some extra punch and online play doesn't lend itself well to the genre. Long term might be an issue.

Racing: 8/10
All the NASCAR rules have been implemented very well. Some events pull the player out of the immersion.

Driving: 9/10
Car management and driving feels great. Falls just short of a full sim but should satisfy most users.

Presentation: 6/10
Graphics and sound quality suffers from having to run 43 other cars, doesn't match the best in the genre.

Overall: 6.5/10
A good entry to the series with a strong base, especially in the racing department, but extra polish is needed to make this game a keeper.

~ Special thanks to Eutechnyx/Activision for making this review possible and providing us with a copy.

~ The game is based on the 2010 data, but a patch with numerous fixes and the official 2011 cars is underway.

More information:
Click here to visit the NASCAR The Game thread

A few things to note, the game is ONLY out for the PS3 and 360 right now. The Wii version will be out in May. Also, Patch #2 is currently in testing and *should* be released by the week of May 9th for both consoles. The 2011 data DLC currently doesn't have a release date but is believed to be coming out by summers' time.

EDIT: there are a few grammar mistakes as well...might want to go back through one more time and re-read the write-up :) Solid review overall. Will only get better with the new patch.

Sorry...expected better from RaceDepartment. What about all the game killing bugs and design decisions. Like the pace car staying out on track during some MP races, what about not having control of your car till it's too late and before you can control it your in the wall or another car, what about the sync problems that make MP almost completely un-playable, what about the fact that you have to pit for fuel and tires but most times the AI does not, and what about the stupid NASCAR points popping up in your face, or the brake now notice or slow down notice... all in your way of racing in cockpit view.

Sorry, we got an ALPHA build here and they need to be called out on it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back