NASCAR | Newman Sustains Serious But Not Life Threatening Injuries

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
NASCAR star Ryan Newman has sustained what are described as 'serious'' but 'not life threatening' injuries during the closing moments of the NASCAR Daytona 500 on Monday.

The 42-year-old American was leading the premier NASCAR race of the season at Daytona when his #6 Roush Fenway Racing Mustang was tagged from behind by Ryan Blaney - sending the American 18 time race winner into the outer wall before being further collected by the un-sighted Corey LaJoie, hitting Newman at approaching 200mph as the driver flipped through the air.

With the Mustang also appearing to catch fire as it came to a stop further down the circuit, NASCAR officials were quick to the scene of the accident, extracting Newman and taking him to the nearby Halifax Medical Centre.

The following statement on the condition of Newman has been released on Twitter via NASCAR officials:

He is in serious condition, but doctors have indicated his injuries are not life threatening.​
"We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and ask that you respect the privacy of Ryan and his family during this time."​

The race was won for a second consecutive season by Denny Hamlin, beating Blany in a photo finish by just 0.014 at the chequered flag.

Want to know more about the world of motorsport? Start a thread in the Motorsport sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get engaged with your racing community!

NASCAR Newman Crash.jpg

That was a nasty wreck, even by NASCAR standards. I was concerned when he got T-boned while he was upside down and sliding down the track. It also looked like his fuel cell was ruptured, because it was leaking something after the car came to a stop. It could have been worse.

It also looked like his fuel cell was ruptured, because it was leaking something after the car came to a stop.
I don't think it was the fuel cell, that would've caused a much bigger and longer fire. I think that was a fuelline or some leftover fuel from the filler pipe.

Oh God.

Big impact on wall, and big impact from LaJoie, I was watching the race and finished around 10pm yesterday, until 11:30pm trying to find some news about Newman. This morming I saw news... :(

Get well soon, Rocketman.

I don't watch NASCAR anymore but when I did it was not for the wrecks and if anyone does watch it for that reason you are seriously messed up.

I'm a race fan.

Anyway NASCAR has a serious problem with their attitude toward the plate racing and that rubs off on the drivers and announcers when they joke about the "BIG ONE" that's going to happen. Drivers are not penalized nearly enough for wrecking someone else. In fact if they wreck someone and win they aree cheered by many including the TV announcers. I hope Denny Hamlin didn't go nuts celebrating the win even though he didn't cause the accident...oh wait, it wasn't an accident.

I don't watch NASCAR anymore but when I did it was not for the wrecks and if anyone does watch it for that reason you are seriously messed up.

I'm a race fan.

Anyway NASCAR has a serious problem with their attitude toward the plate racing and that rubs off on the drivers and announcers when they joke about the "BIG ONE" that's going to happen. Drivers are not penalized nearly enough for wrecking someone else. In fact if they wreck someone and win they aree cheered by many including the TV announcers. I hope Denny Hamlin didn't go nuts celebrating the win even though he didn't cause the accident...oh wait, it wasn't an accident.
I'm pretty sure it really was an accident. Blaney tapped him square, looked to me like he really was trying to push him like he said. They're racing for a win in the biggest race of the season, and Newman was throwing blocks like crazy and weaving all over. Don't blame him in the slightest, but I don't think anyone is especially to blame for that.

I don't think it was the fuel cell, that would've caused a much bigger and longer fire. I think that was a fuelline or some leftover fuel from the filler pipe.
It was the last lap of the race, not much fuel left . Could be the fuel cell or not, we'll never no. Possible is both.

So, I don't wish for anyone to get hurt, but seriously: do you watch Nascar on TV because of the frequent crashes, yes or no?
Even Dale knew that the danger made the races fun. Even without risk of death the crashes made nascar fun. I've sat around long races, and it gets REALLY boring after a while, i cant even imagine how it would be if all you saw the cars do if they drove properly was to turn left all the time.

That was a nasty wreck, even by NASCAR standards. I was concerned when he got T-boned while he was upside down and sliding down the track. It also looked like his fuel cell was ruptured, because it was leaking something after the car came to a stop. It could have been worse.
The fuel cell was in fact leaking, i was quite worried it would light up because it leaked very near the fire.

Even Dale knew that the danger made the races fun. Even without risk of death the crashes made nascar fun. I've sat around long races, and it gets REALLY boring after a while, i cant even imagine how it would be if all you saw the cars do if they drove properly was to turn left all the time.

Yeah, that's the thing. Nascar is high risk racing, almost inevitable to have crashes, yet many people deny they watch it for just that.

So, I don't wish for anyone to get hurt, but seriously: do you watch Nascar on TV because of the frequent crashes, yes or no?
For me no. I watch because I'm fan of NASCAR (and others motorsports events too)
I guess that rules on superspeedways need to be changed. Every race on these track, there big crashes, but the peoples pay for watch the 'big ones'.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%