NASCAR | Newman Sustains Serious But Not Life Threatening Injuries

I will say it. NASCAR and "bump drafting" is the stupidest thing in car racing. You can't talk about the dangers of racing at 200mph and then allow drivers to bang into each other purposely. Police even know if you tap a car on the back quarter panel it's going to spin.

I normally watch F1, GT3 and Indy races, but this year I decided to watch the Daytona 500. In the last 19 laps, there were 5 crashes. That is what created the "overtime" race. All of those crashes were from cars trying to "push" each other into the lead. WTF is that ? I thought car and driver were supposed to out run the competition by themselves. I could see that crash coming a mile away and I don't follow the series. They are lucky he didn't die. The track marshalls took a bit of time to get to him and the car was on fire.

They need to stop the bump drafting ****.

The big one, they almost promote it. Sort of sad in a way, but the way they race its a fact of life. Lock bumpers, don't lock bumpers. The thing is you can bump draft without actually touching the other car, but its almost impossible not to touch the car.
There is a sure and simple way to do it though, now we have the technology its used in our passenger cars, and thats sensors. Have a sensor in the car that tells the driver how close he is. If he hits the car it gets signaled to the officials, he gets penalized with say a drive thru or time penalty on his next pit stop.
Will that ever happen I doubt it, unless more drivers get killed.
Just look at F1 and how slowly the safety improved, and how many drivers had to die. Nascar has improved a great many things, but it has to be continuous improvement all the time.

The big one, they almost promote it. Sort of sad in a way, but the way they race its a fact of life. Lock bumpers, don't lock bumpers. The thing is you can bump draft without actually touching the other car, but its almost impossible not to touch the car.
There is a sure and simple way to do it though, now we have the technology its used in our passenger cars, and thats sensors. Have a sensor in the car that tells the driver how close he is. If he hits the car it gets signaled to the officials, he gets penalized with say a drive thru or time penalty on his next pit stop.
Will that ever happen I doubt it, unless more drivers get killed.
Just look at F1 and how slowly the safety improved, and how many drivers had to die. Nascar has improved a great many things, but it has to be continuous improvement all the time.
Nascar originally didn't had speedos because of the gauges adding weight and 4 gear transmissions because it was the standar at the time. They keep with such things just because of tradition (keep in mind NASCAR only changed to fuel injection engines in 2011) I doubt they will adapt to new technology.

Good God !?! :confused:
And I thought that some crashes in Nascar Heat 4 are over the top, you know like...
"this can't happened in real life". Well... won't doubt it no more. :alien:

I'm pretty sure it really was an accident. Blaney tapped him square, looked to me like he really was trying to push him like he said. They're racing for a win in the biggest race of the season, and Newman was throwing blocks like crazy and weaving all over. Don't blame him in the slightest, but I don't think anyone is especially to blame for that.
Joey Lagono said (might have screwed up the spelling) and every NASCAR driver knows that the kink at Daytona is the worst place for pushing as the car doesn't have the g-forces to give it stability there. NASCAR drivers meetings should forbid any contact (on purpose) in that area. It would certainly help. Blaney is a clean driver for the most part. If the guy in front of you is weaving then don't push if you can't make square contact. But let me be clear. This is on NASCAR to rethink the current culture in NASCAR's series.

Good news, Ryan Newman has been released from Halifax Hospital.

1582189542798.png

I'm speechless. That's great!

I think, racing at Daytona and Talladega has to change. It is nearly guaranteed, that there is a Big One. Instead of reducing the power and creating these large packs, I'd give them (nearly) full power but extreme hard tyres so they can't take the corners at full speed. Then, the field will spread out and you can nearly eliminate the Big Ones.

The critical impact on Newman's car could also hapen at other fast ovals like Fontana or Michigan.

Joey Lagono said (might have screwed up the spelling) and every NASCAR driver knows that the kink at Daytona is the worst place for pushing as the car doesn't have the g-forces to give it stability there. NASCAR drivers meetings should forbid any contact (on purpose) in that area. It would certainly help. Blaney is a clean driver for the most part. If the guy in front of you is weaving then don't push if you can't make square contact. But let me be clear. This is on NASCAR to rethink the current culture in NASCAR's series.
Well, do keep in mind Newman went on purpose to try and block him in a dash, and got his rear caught. Not that he deserved it, but Newman is not an innocent victim, he went for a risky move and he almost died because of it.

Well, do keep in mind Newman went on purpose to try and block him in a dash, and got his rear caught. Not that he deserved it, but Newman is not an innocent victim, he went for a risky move and he almost died because of it.
I'm not referring to the semantics of that accident in particular or saying he didn't try to block but in most other motorsports if a driver blocks you don't run into the back of him at full throttle.

This is just one of many crashfest races that NASCAR backs for the WOW factor and subsequent TV ratings. What other series outside of their sanctioned series expect multicar crashes as just routine.

I'm not referring to the semantics of that accident in particular or saying he didn't try to block but in most other motorsports if a driver blocks you don't run into the back of him at full throttle.

This is just one of many crashfest races that NASCAR backs for the WOW factor and subsequent TV ratings. What other series outside of their sanctioned series expect multicar crashes as just routine.
I agree. Nascar is heavily crash related. And from my perspective newman blocked him when he was ALMOST touching the front bumper of the person behind him, if he waited a bit more he might as well just have pit maneouvered himself trying to block someone.

l'incidente è stato provocato e non è avvenuto per caso. Anche Logano ce l'ha messa tutta per creare caos durante la gara. Penso che certe scorrettezze vadano severamente punite. faccio i miei auguri a Newman e lo ringrazio per la bellissima gara. non è un videogioco

Man, this was really a nasty accident and Newman was very, very lucky. His car got hit hard in the weakest spot.

Some years ago chances would have been much higher for fatality for sure!!
That´s something i like about Nascar, they have consiquently made the cars safer and they are really beefy nowadays...that was his luck.

Crashes are part of the spectacle for sure, but everybody that enjoys that sort of racing/spectacle is more than happy when the drivers walk away from it unhurt. If these drivers choose to race the way they do, they have to deal with the consequences of getting hurt etc. It´s their choice!

I really like Nascar, also because they stick to tradition on the technical side. Just brutal dinosaurs.
I think it´s one of the few top racing series where the driver and his skill really count a lot because the cars are all basically the same.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%