NASCAR | Kyle Larson Fired For iRacing Misdemeanour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Chip Ganassi Racing young hotshot Kyle Larson has found himself in deep water with his team and sport, following an ill advised racial slur during the recent iRacing NASCAR series broadcast.

One of the hottest young prospects within the NASCAR scene in recent years, Larson enjoyed his best season in the category to date in 2019, finish a very solid sixth in the title standings after just missing out on the chance to race for the championship in the final rounds of the series.

Despite having a car underneath him that never quite manages to challenge outright over the course of a full campaign, Larson has impressed many observers in recent years as he began to make a name for himself in the category - good work that looks like it has been severely compromised when the 27-year-old was heard using a racial slur during a recent iRacing NASCAR replacement series race.

Initially having been suspended from the real and virtual championships for an indefinite amount of time, Larson has since seen a number of key sponsors walk away from him in the last 24 hours, leaving his Chip Ganassi Racing outfit with the decision to fire the American driver with immediate effect - casing doubt on the viability of Larson's career in premier American Stock Car series.

Using the N word on a live broadcast has brought justified criticism of the driver from fans and insiders within the sport, forcing the six-time cup winner to post an apology for his actions on his social media channels - however, only time will tell if this is enough to reignite what has been a promising career for the Californian driver:

For more from the world of motorsport, drop a post in the RaceDepartment Motorsport sub forum and get interacting with our awesome community!

Kyle Larson1.jpg

Such an odd thing to do. Was he not aware of the consequences? I admit that I am ignorant when it comes to NASCAR and it's drivers but I'd always presumed the negative image affiliated with the sport and it's fans was misleading.

Last edited:
Such an odd thing to do. Was he not aware of the consequences? I admit that I am ignorant when it comes to NASCAR and it's drivers but I'd always presumed the negative image affiliated with the sport and it's fans was misleading. I really hope I'm right and that this kind of behavior isn't a large projection of the sport and it's culture.
In the video it looks like it was an inside joke between he and whoever he was talking to (team crew?) but his mic was public

The sad thing is that if he had the "poor me I'm oppressed" tags he'd be allowed to do this stuff without being condemned. Ppl in "that group" can do whatever they want. If anyone get what I mean, well... whatever, he should avoid this stuff anyway. Didn't end his career, ppl are too busy with corona but getting back in NASCAR will be difficult, the internet never forgets...

Firstly it was not an outburst, if you listen to the actually wording he says it in a friendly "can you hear me dumbass?" kinda way, certainly not a rant about racism or whatever, so like the Media blowing this all out of proportion I find it a bit said that RD has gone the same way with the wording here (Sorry Paul!).

Secondly having said that of course it was a mistake and something he probably shouldn't of said, but for me in the context of how he said it - had a black person said a White Trash line back to his crew chief/friend - then there wouldn't be an issue at all.

This incident has suffered from the cotton wool society where every little word is met with dire consequences, which IMO is pathetic. It's the same as when Bernado Silva (Man City) sent that picture to his mate Benjamin Mendy, they both knew it was a friendly joke but the media got hold of it - ran with it and the lad served a 3 match ban which was appalling (Football story for those that don't know it).

As for Kyle well hes apologised, that's all there is to it, give him his ride back, hes learnt from this little mistake but in reality it's not a great big deal, I mean it's not like he killed some one is it <cough tony stewart cough>

In the video it looks like it was an inside joke between he and whoever he was talking to (team crew?) but his mic was public
Yeah, having listened to it I thought it was just meant to be private banter with whoever his spotter is... Anyone actually know who his spotter is?
I don't think the word "outburst" is quite right, in that it conjured up (for me anyway) an angry N-word directed at someone who had annoyed him (not the case).

Yep, media (RD included) just exagerate over everything, and that makes sponsors over react too
Then you have comments like these
But at least he is probably supporting his president.
good lord... ppl are dumb. Offended by everything, allowing and promoting states becoming dictatorships because of fear, not willing to pay the price for freedom. Most disgusting generation in history.
Well, whatever. He brought that to himself, not my problem. Just happy my life doesn't depend on approval from others :D

The bottom line of all the words available to use he decided on that one. I can think of a few that may have been less than offensive to most, and may have gotten a laugh or two.
Butt Munch, Booger Face, Numb Nuts even Douche Bag probably wouldn't have been much of an issue. He deserves exactly what he got and the apology is poppy cock.
I'm putting myself in time out.:redface:

Firstly it was not an outburst, if you listen to the actually wording he says it in a friendly "can you hear me dumbass?" kinda way, certainly not a rant about racism or whatever, so like the Media blowing this all out of proportion I find it a bit said that RD has gone the same way with the wording here (Sorry Paul!).

Secondly having said that of course it was a mistake and something he probably shouldn't of said, but for me in the context of how he said it - had a black person said a White Trash line back to his crew chief/friend - then there wouldn't be an issue at all.

This incident has suffered from the cotton wool society where every little word is met with dire consequences, which IMO is pathetic. It's the same as when Bernado Silva (Man City) sent that picture to his mate Benjamin Mendy, they both knew it was a friendly joke but the media got hold of it - ran with it and the lad served a 3 match ban which was appalling (Football story for those that don't know it).

As for Kyle well hes apologised, that's all there is to it, give him his ride back, hes learnt from this little mistake but in reality it's not a great big deal, I mean it's not like he killed some one is it <cough tony stewart cough>

You're really gonna throw Tony in there like 1, the guy he killed did not run back on track and 2, it was not a complete and utter accident (as opposed to obviously using the intended racial slur)? I think this is all blown out of proportion but bringing in Stewart, joking or not, is wrong.

Well, where has the world gone when you loose your ride, job and career for saying just ONE word?
The same word black people say to each other every day(!)
Isn't that provoking?

The other way around, happens a lot too; you ever heard a thing about that? A black person calling names to a white person?

Public opinion......from people that are "professionally hurt" and no one dares to say something about it because of that same public opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back