Think the same with mosts posts on here these days....always turns to iracing.....:sleep:
It is a boomer-centric website after all.

Question about NASCAR cars - steereing wheel IRL rotate to 180 degrees (like in NH), or more?
It's a lot higher than that and varies by circuit. That would be very nervous on a speedway.

I wonder if I'll be able to see the complete side netting in this one, surely they can find a way to measure FOV properly after 4 years.

It's main issue, tyres lacking a real slip curve which makes these cars incredibly hard to catch, is still prevalent in iracing (as pointed out by Bowyer). It really is an all-time classic.
This is more than expected as at the time iRacing launched (was it 2009?), most of its code was from nr2003. Things have probably changed quite a bit since then, but I am pretty confident that there is still some good old nr2003 in it, for better or worse.

It's main issue, tyres lacking a real slip curve which makes these cars incredibly hard to catch, is still prevalent in iracing (as pointed out by Bowyer). It really is an all-time classic.
They've really fixed that in the oval racing cars in iRacing. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but I was practically able to drift the cup car around the track

For AI oval racing why not to install NR2003?
1. Install game
2. Download and Install 1.2.0.1 patch, nocd, dx8todx9, nrcamhack and optionally reShade
3. Download and install all the amazing mods you like and optionally JSGME
4. Race
5. ??????
6. Profit!!!!!!

It is still really good in vanilla form, but with mods it is especially an amazing game: both current and historic series and tracks, different classes (ARCA, modifieds etc.), sound packs etc.

I was an avid NR2003 player, from early 2003 all the way until probably around 2010ish, then gradually just sort of moved on to other sims and didn't play NR2003 much. I actually did try re-installing it about a year or two ago but the graphics (even with dx9 etc.) and physics just don't hold up like they used to compared to newer sims. Still a great sim but just a bit too dated for me to really enjoy anymore

I was an avid NR2003 player, from early 2003 all the way until probably around 2010ish, then gradually just sort of moved on to other sims and didn't play NR2003 much. I actually did try re-installing it about a year or two ago but the graphics (even with dx9 etc.) and physics just don't hold up like they used to compared to newer sims. Still a great sim but just a bit too dated for me to really enjoy anymore
Physics aren't IMO at least worse than they are in these modern simcades and that also makes it still overall the best single player Nascar experience, even if not counting the plethora of mods available for it. I haven't tried iRacing SP, but although it is most likely far superior for vehicle dynamics, it is still much more limited for SP and is just for single races. It is also quite costly option for SP.

For nr2003 one of the most important thing is getting the FFB right. As ingame adjustments are limited, you need to do the fine tuning on the control panel. When FFB is set up right, the engine gives really good information through steering wheel for oval racing as the FFB strength changes for the turns. The point is that to get most out of it, you most likely need to fiddle with spring and damping settings on CP. At least I did.

It is quite expected that the games physics engine is not anymore up to current standards, but I am really not that bothered with it because it isn't bad either. Heck, I still enjoy playing GP Legends too, so nr2003 is not a problem. I play even older racing games than that, but I'am a retro gamer and computing hobbyist, so there is that. But I can also enjoy well made arcade racers, so I am not bothered about the "authenticity", but the quality overall. These are all just games and pretty far from the real thing after all.

I still think that nr2003 is overall the best SP Nascar game and is so by quite a large margin. Not forgetting that it still has active leagues going on. Yes, it is not the best racing sim by vehicle physics, but overall still an amazing product. It will be interesting to see what modding community can do with the physics editor, but it is awesome that a game that was released in february 2003 is still alive and kicking well.

Edit: Here are few edited physics available for nr2003 for those interested:

They can be found and downloaded under series tab. Using physics editor is still pretty much sorcery as many variables are undocumented and thus unknown for modders, but it certainly is interesting. Legendary nr2003 modder Brian Ring (KneePitGaming) is also back and fiddling with the editor.

Last edited:
Not even close !!! sorry to disappoint you x) I just think the game needs a little bit more sim in it to make it a great game

But it doesnt. Its like F1 games or change of sport FIFA. They're made for the people who want an up to date game for the car/track or players of the current season. Kids that get hung up on having the most recent things in a game so they can go play it after watching it on tv. The sim market is already too saturated and will get to the point where racing games will just be unenjoyable if they're all sims.

That's an interesting point of view. I believe developers made a choice anyway or were asked to. What I'm wondering is why they've chosen iRacing over NH4 for the pro to race ?

Hi, maybe a bit late, bought Heat 4 and 5 from steam, but now I ‘am in trouble, and can’t solve this issue.
Every time I practice, qualify and race I get a severe revs drop, the car is slowing down and down, and can’t get out of it.
All my sims work well on my high end rig, these 2 won’t and don’t.
HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THIS, thanks in advance, very appriciated, Appie

Hi, maybe a bit late, bought Heat 4 and 5 from steam, but now I ‘am in trouble, and can’t solve this issue.
Every time I practice, qualify and race I get a severe revs drop, the car is slowing down and down, and can’t get out of it.
All my sims work well on my high end rig, these 2 won’t and don’t.
HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THIS, thanks in advance, very appriciated, Appie
Not sure I understand. Do you mean your pedals don't work? What happens exactly? I don't remember having experienced this issue on NH4. Did you check your controls settings? Tried to invert the pedals input (can't remember whether this setting is available in NH4)?

Not sure I understand. Do you mean your pedals don't work? What happens exactly? I don't remember having experienced this issue on NH4. Did you check your controls settings? Tried to invert the pedals input (can't remember whether this setting is available in NH4)?
Well, when starting a race everything goes wel, after some laps the revs and speed go down, I can’t speed up anymore, low revs and no speed, but still the throttle paddle works fine, slow as a turtle, not speeding up anymore.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 327 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 459 39.2%