I was also a bit surprised by the headline- not the usual at RD. But I welcome posts such as these, which present the views of the author while inviting others from both sides. Most of us visit this site because we appreciate the different opinions & interactions of the community, & this article fosters that.

I too was attracted by the headline :)
I looked at the game's steam page and this DLC is the third one !
I was surprised that these DLC had NO evaluation at all, not one...
I expected a lot of negative ones.
I would be interested in knowing the sales number of these kind of DLC, if anyone has a rough idea, please share :)

Maybe the ordinary “new DLC package X for game Y was released“ posts aren't most suitable for being written in a subjective way but in general I'd really like to see more opinion articles like this.

Wouldn't pay a dime for liveries. The way game devs/pubs are carving up games and selling them piece by piece (Day 1 DLC), removing features, inserting old content already paid for and charging for it again in new versions and the asking price for such petty additions just encourages more of this greed/laziness.

Remember when we used to get actual expansions for around the same price as these trinkets? I 'member!

DLC can be scary.....Train Sim 2020......all the DLC ads up to $14,000 AUD :confused:

It's especially insane considering what a niche market there is for that game, thank god ETS isn't priced like that.

Star Citizen has to be the worst offender though with it's $27,000 DLC that STILL doesn't get you everything in game. Chris Roberts is a lunatic.

Well just got this off of decoder channel. There may not be 704 for much longer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191120-213557_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20191120-213557_Discord.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 143
We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... NASCAR Heat 4!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

RD Community Favourite-NH4v2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

Oops, sorry guys, my mouse were on the screen, and i clicked without paying attention (a 4), I do not own the game, and don't know how undo the rate :(
@++

I was hoping for a big Black Friday discount on Steam for that sim... No dice. Maybe after Christmas? I’m not that cheap, but what I have seen and read about this franchise makes very hesitant to buy. A shame, I think NASCAR is a lot more fun to simrace than to watch, and I wish there was a decent simulator out there.

I was hoping for a big Black Friday discount on Steam for that sim... No dice. Maybe after Christmas? I’m not that cheap, but what I have seen and read about this franchise makes very hesitant to buy. A shame, I think NASCAR is a lot more fun to simrace than to watch, and I wish there was a decent simulator out there.
It's not a simulator and they don't do big discounts, they simply lower the price over time.

I have to admit, full disclosure, :D, that I have zero interest in any form of Nascar.
Apparently, by looking at the Steam Charts, the interest in this title is very low for a lot of people.
To add salt on the wound, no VR, so very low score from me.

IMHO, NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona have the best career mode ever made for a simulator/simcade, period. NH4 evolved it in some ways, but...

The issue I have with NH4 is that I fell the game as a downgrade from DtD in many aspects and that Monster didn't evolved some aspects over the last 17 years.

For start... DtD is one of the few sims that I can play long length races without get bored. It was amazing how Monster Games could use a PS2/GC to deliver such good AI. None of the modern sims had a race-pace that get even close to DtD. It fells like each AI driver had it's own racing strategy and races fell very organic... that feeling that anything can happen, but in a realistic way. In NH4 it's not bad... but don't resemble the older game in any way, so the races are boring when in their full length, but are nice for 25% or less.

Other thing is that the gameplay is not bad with gamepad, but very primitive with a steering wheel. DtD was not a proper simulator, but for console gaming at the time it was quite realistic... NH4 is a simcade with more arcade than sim... no problem with that, because it's good at it... but... . . .

And, finally, the career mode... it's the best, period! But it's not very evolved from DtD. There are some little improvements, but still assembled over a 17 years old formula.

Gave it a 7/10 because it's the best career mode on a racing game and the gameplay is ok... but, if you can choose between NH4 and the good'ol Dirt to Daytona, and you don't care for old 480i/30fps (with a lot of slowdowns), go with the classic game.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing