NASCAR Fights: Good or Bad?

Him being penalised does not redeem the actions he took, rather it only confirms that he did those things intentionally.
You're right Chris. As I said in my previous post, Schumacher's attempt to put Barichello into the pit wall could have had severe consequences. A move like that is almost something a psychopath would do. No regard whatsoever for the consequences.

If I understand you right, that Schumacher on Barrichello move was bad, Smith on Tagliani was not?

Then you start to penalize/react to theoretical outcomes from the situation, not the action itself.

The rules should be, and are the same no matter if you are driving in 10 km/h or 330 km/h

You're right about the fighting not being promoted as "something great." You're also right about Regan Smith at Mid-Ohio. That was a perfectly legitimate move ; it happens all the time in road racing and oval racing. That sure was an exciting finish.:)

It was kind of a tough moment for me because Tag had driven a great race and he really did deserve the trophy. But I understand Regan is driving for a Championship and quite frankly, I would have done the same thing. If Regan had wrecked him, I would have a different take on it however.

That's one of the best parts about NASCAR, is the ability to use the chrome horn every once in a while, as long as you don't totally wreck a guy out. It's definitely a luxury that the open-wheel folks don't get, and I do respect their discipline in not creating disasters or worse yet, deaths even though I am sure the urge strikes more than once during a career.

Ultimately, I have total and outright respect for all forms of motor racing and I just try to remember that each one has it's own rules, attitudes and cultures. And I try to celebrate each one for it's diversity and uniqueness. Thanks all for a very spirited discussion! AC awaits me!

Cheers all!

Toby (Steam: dctoe)

I don´t understand why it´s legal to push other cars out of the way instead of overtaking them.

I thought I was going to shut up, but I'm back in it. :D :p

That's the nature of NASCAR. The cars are built for that and can take it. That's the way it's been done since the beginning and very little has changed. Again, it's pretty much an unwritten rule throughout the sport that you can do it, particularly on the last lap, as long as you don't plain take the guy or gal out.

Now I certainly don't expect to see that in F1 and would immediately hold my hands up in frustration if I did. And were a NASCAR star move over to F1, I would be the first to condemn them if they pulled something like that there. I'm sure the FIA would have a much harsher reaction. But as JPM will tell you, it's different in NASCAR and you had better come prepared. If you don't want to be moved, you better get way out in front of the guy behind you because that's the only way that you are going to avoid it.

Now had the situation been reversed, I don't know if Tag would have done it, but I would like to think that he has raced enough cars to know where he was and what he had to do to get that win, and if Regan had over drove the corner slightly, Tag would have been there to give him a little help. And most everyone except Regan Smith fans would have likely supported him. I know I was a little disappointed. But at the same time, I was glad to see Regan redeem himself a little after the fiasco at the Glen. I'm just sorry it came at Tag's expense. I wish it has been Dillon instead. But that is NASCAR and rubbin's racin'!

Tag should have concentrated on getting a little more space between them on that last lap, knowing what was coming at the end. Two or three car lengths and Regan would not have had a chance without wrecking him or going off-track himself, and he would have likely settled for 2nd place. But Tag still drove a great race and no one can take that from him. I still vote for more road courses in NASCAR.

OK, I am done! There's a 787B idling with my name on it and I have to drive that baby!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 111 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 84 9.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 115 13.4%