Alright when was that again.....?

I hate it when people say your strongest rival is the team mate, because they assume machinery is equal. I don't believe this each team has a garage with personnel split from one car to the other. And key people behind the wall integrating between the 2 cars. I think teams put better people to the side of the driver they want to lead the team. So at AMG-Mercedes the best people are on the Hamillton garage. And a few good people on the Bottas car. Machinerey can deviate from one car to another and support.
This is why team mates often fight and pull each other of the track in per-suite of number 1 status. Just look at Senna and Prost at McLaren.

What i am trying to say a team mate is a rival and a driver will hide data and setup notes to keep them at bay. So efectivley each car is a team so there are 20 teams. It is rare for team mates to be buddy's and get along. Like Martin Brundel and Mark Blundell,

What people mean when saying that is: "Teammate is your closest rival". And that is true, no matter who works on the car, who drives it, who conceals information... Merc1 is more equal to Merc2 than to any other non-merc car. And that is always true.
Of course, team can give better mechanics to driver that they play on, but that is only done because that driver deserved it by speed. Proof of that (equal machinery with small impact of mechanics) was 2016, they switched mechanics and few bottled starts later...oops :roflmao: It is normal that they will give better mechanics to Hamilton next to Bottas, or Max next to Albon, or Schumacher next to Rubens. And still having worse mechanics it will not make Bottas's car equal to Leclerc's Ferrari, it will still be closest to Lewis's car. :thumbsup:

Sport is such a political game.
Wouldn’t it be nice if teams let both drivers have the same cars and paycheck and let them compete equally instead of all this bitchy stuff.
It would make the sport more exciting without teams putting their eggs in one driver on the team,hi Red Bull.

I'm somewhat of a Mclaren fan so I'm excited about this. Ricciardo is a good driver and a decent guy with a big personality. Great fit with Lando I think. I'd rather see Lando take Mclaren to a WDC (because I'm a Brit) but nevertheless, pleased to see Danny join the squad from Woking!

I am of the opinion that it is anti competitive, no one wants to see a teammate have a lesser car, get to told to let his teammate pass for strategic points. Goes against the integrity of the sport. May the best man win.

Just Remember Ferrari with Michale Schumacher. Rubens Barichello was his team mate. Schumacher gifted wins to Rubens when the team wanted it the other way round, And Michale was the faster car. After Barichello left he beat Shumacher as he drove different teams. Ask yourself if Barichello had not gone to Ferrari, he would not be forced to play the politics game and i believe would of won more races. Maybe become world champion.

I asked myself, answer is no. He wouldn’t get more victories in Williams or McLaren if he was there instead of Ferrari. ;)
When did Barrichello beat Schumacher in other team? Closest he came was when Schumi came back in 2010, and he still finished behind him in championship.

A brief, overheard, few sentences between Jimmy Clark and Jackie Stewart, and what the essence of Formula 1 racing is all about...

"Jackie Stewart to Jim Clark: "Had a moment in that corner. Got it wrong"
- Clark- "Oh, you must have crashed"
- Stewart- "No, I got it back."
-Clark was flabbergasted. "How can you make a mistake and not crash? It's not possible. It means you're not on the limit"

Last edited:
I hate it when people say your strongest rival is the team mate, because they assume machinery is equal. I don't believe this each team has a garage with personnel split from one car to the other. And key people behind the wall integrating between the 2 cars. I think teams put better people to the side of the driver they want to lead the team. So at AMG-Mercedes the best people are on the Hamillton garage. And a few good people on the Bottas car. Machinerey can deviate from one car to another and support.
This is why team mates often fight and pull each other of the track in per-suite of number 1 status. Just look at Senna and Prost at McLaren.

What i am trying to say a team mate is a rival and a driver will hide data and setup notes to keep them at bay. So efectivley each car is a team so there are 20 teams. It is rare for team mates to be buddy's and get along. Like Martin Brundel and Mark Blundell,
This can work in the reverse. Nico Rosberg was notorious for asking what Lewis was doing to be faster on track than him and the team duly told him. No driver--teammate or now--should have such easy access to another driver's performance. We know teams monitor the performance of their competitors, but this involves the work of deduction and analysis of data instead of being handled over on a silver [arrow] platter.

Nascars first race behind closed doors currently happening. Shame we cant see it in the UK without having to pay a rip off price to Premier Sports HD. Currently watching the live in car cam from Ryan Newman on youtube

Talking about teammates and exchance of info between them then its hilarious what happened with Andretti when Mansell as the rulinng F1 champion went to Indycar and completely overtook the Newman/Haas team.
The former number one driver in the team Andretti has since admittet that he became more or less relegated to a small corner of the pit when Mansell arrived with all his crew and media guys.
Absolutely no info was exchanged - because Mansell didnt need to. :roflmao:

Just Remember Ferrari with Michale Schumacher. Rubens Barichello was his team mate. Schumacher gifted wins to Rubens when the team wanted it the other way round, And Michale was the faster car. After Barichello left he beat Shumacher as he drove different teams. Ask yourself if Barichello had not gone to Ferrari, he would not be forced to play the politics game and i believe would of won more races. Maybe become world champion.

That doesn't make any sense to me. First of all Barrichello never "beat" Schumacher in different teams. Not even in 2010 when Schumacher returned rusty after three years of no driving, he still scored more points than Barrichello that year. Also there was never any proof that Barrichello got a different car. Different support from the team, maybe, but I don't buy that they gave the second driver a worse car, that was never necessary. Barrichello was actually very good with setups, which also helped Schumacher, so would have made no sense whatsoever to not give them the same car to work on.

Talking about teammates and exchance of info between them then its hilarious what happened with Andretti when Mansell as the rulinng F1 champion went to Indycar and completely overtook the Newman/Haas team.
The former number one driver in the team Andretti has since admittet that he became more or less relegated to a small corner of the pit when Mansell arrived with all his crew and media guys.
Absolutely no info was exchanged - because Mansell didnt need to. :roflmao:
It is true i went to the Indy in Toronto and stood and talked to Mario Andretti. The fans where all interested in Mansell and he felt left out.

That doesn't make any sense to me. First of all Barrichello never "beat" Schumacher in different teams. Not even in 2010 when Schumacher returned rusty after three years of no driving, he still scored more points than Barrichello that year. Also there was never any proof that Barrichello got a different car. Different support from the team, maybe, but I don't buy that they gave the second driver a worse car, that was never necessary. Barrichello was actually very good with setups, which also helped Schumacher, so would have made no sense whatsoever to not give them the same car to work on.
Barichello was in a Williams and Schumacher was in the new AMG-Mercedes team helping develop the car in the early stages of the team. He even beat Michael in a go kart event for charity in Brazil.

It is true i went to the Indy in Toronto and stood and talked to Mario Andretti. The fans where all interested in Mansell and he felt left out.
I think the english wording is that "he felt completely run over".:x3:

Its a bit strange actually because taken from the media pics and interviews they both looks and sounds like nice chaps.
But Mansell probably also had/have another rough side with extremely "pointed elbows" against any opposition.
Because without such extreme ambition he could never have had the career he had.;)

That was interesting and all, but it's going to be another blood bath in favor of Mercedes. Happy for Sainz? I guess good for him! But Ferrari, wow! Of all teams, always makes mistakes, long term and short terms. I guess Danny Ric, at the end of the day still got the better team. At least McLaren is 'trying' not to fail.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back