My starts are always bad

I come to this nice forum to ask some help about Rfactor 2.
I am enjoying the 1988 mod which really brings me back to my childhood.
I have only this big issue,my starts from the grid are always slow and i tend to love each time from 5 to 8 positions.
I use a steering wheel,pedals and i have all set on manual besides traction control and clutch.
I tried to look on the net but i couldn't find any tutorial that explains how to make a proper start.
How do you guys manage the race starts?
thanks in advance for the help.

Hi See if I can help you :)
1. if you want to learn race starts turn off Traction control ( you can always turn it on after the start ).
The extra GRIP from TC will make your car bug down -- at race start.
2. I have looked in RF2 and cant find Torque curves on any of the cars in showroom .
Lets say a car have a max Torque of 400 NM at 6000 RPM and max power happens at 8000 RPM.
Then at race start you want to keep the RPM needle at 6000 RPM--or just above --because when you
release the clutch the car will bug down in rpm because of grip from the tires.

3. Its always good to see the green light before everybody else :) So FOCUS on that.

4. Opponents Audio turn that down as low as you can ( important that you can hear your own engine clearly ). I have mine at 30 %

5. Use the clutch , you can do that in RF2 even if Auto Clutch is on.

6. If you have a car with very high torque at low rpms--combined with low gearing --you can with success start in second gear --if you watch the first 30 seconds of the video below you will see I use this technique to my advantage.. Good luck with the practice :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years