my second wheel

I'm ready to step up from my current wheel which is Logitech G27, as you know a 3 pedal set with H shifter.
It's a great wheel, has a nice touch to it, perfect size & feels really well. The pedals are great, they just have a sturdy feel to it, and they feel much better than what the price would suspect.
The downside is ... well, it doesn't work with my Xbox One - which is just an occasional thingy.
And, I come to realise that - compared to other wheels - this one is particularly noisy in the FF department. And, the Logitech shifter is utter crap. Luckily the up/down shifters on the wheel are very good. Finally, the G27 lacks somewhat on buttons: there's wheel with less buttons, but there's also wheels with more. They added quite some buttons on the shifter set, but it's a mess to just setup a shifter to be able to press 2 buttons.
The Trustmaster open shifter (TH8A ) llooks awesome, but I'm still not sure if I want to give up the option to go for a Fanatec, just because this shifters looks so nice.
Also, what is a big plus for the Logitech is that almost any game supports this one wheel, I think the G25/G27 and now G29 must be the most compatible in that area. Leaving Logitech, I'd not like to give up this too much. Basically, that would exclude anything but Trustmaster, Logitech and Fanatec.
Currently driving Assetto Corsa a lot, but that changes from time to time.

For what concerns that shifter (Trustmaster TH8A), I just assume it only works on Trustmaster sets.

must be:
- compatible for PC and Xbox (One)
- table mounted
- not noisy / belt driven
- compatible brand for most software
- budget is 1200 euro, all including pedals and shifter

optional:
- open shifter would be nice
- interchangeable wheel would be very nice

Just get all Fanatec Clubsport gear. It's brilliant.
You could get it all second hand on this forum and save a few quid.
I have the full Fanatec set bought second hand on here and it still blows me away how good all the items are. Top quality in my opinion.
You will hear stories about poor customer service but the couple of times I've needed assistance (not because something broke) they were very helpful.
The V3 pedals are very sturdy and heavy and are best fixed in position. The other CSL pedals might suit a desk setup better.

Upvote 0
A Fanatec setup could be this:

That is some 1200 euro in total & excludes a shifter, but it looks like a super combo. I can add a shifter later, and even change wheel :)

Upvote 0
If you might add a hand brake the Fanatec CSL range works out about the same price as the TM stuff as their hand brake is really cheap. I have the whole set and am happy, although the big problem with Fanatec is if something breaks support sucks.

Upvote 0
I had an old thrustmaster 180 degree ffb wheel as a kid, g27 for 5 years and then last year in January I bought the ts-pc ferrari edition.
Awesome wheel but the belt is pretty loud.
Also loud coil wine.
Got a replacement, same story..

Ordered a csw 2.5 (there was a discounted set with 2-pedal csl and the plastic Alcantara rim).
Waaaayyyy more awesome!

Big jump forward! Leaps ahead.
Only thing is the csw is so smooth that you sometimes wish for a bit more "tightness" around the center. The belt of the ts-pc had this but overall the csw 2.5 is a lot more awesome.

I had some nasty coil wine with it too but it went completely silent after a wheel base firmware update :)

Got the loadcell pedal addon a month later and I'm still extremely happy!

A few things:
- pots on the throttle and brake needed replacement (very spikey after 2 weeks). Good since then! And got them within 72 hours (I'm German).

- McLaren gt3 rim shifters went nuts after 5 hours of usage. Got a replacement that was slightly used but "fixed" within 72 hours.
Good since a year :)

- the loadcell pedal isn't "tight" as soon as you start to press it. You can wobble your foot left and right about 1mm.
A bit weird but it works.
Muscle memory braking is a lot easier to be consistent with.

A lot better than thrustmaster pedals!

I use the Logitech shifter with a Bodnar adapter btw.

With this setup I'm able to jump into a race with no practice. I feel the car and the brake just works.
I'm not fast but I'm safe!
With the Logitech wheel and pedals I would be a dangerous backmarker to dodge...

Upvote 0
A few things:
- pots on the throttle and brake needed replacement (very spikey after 2 weeks). Good since then! And got them within 72 hours (I'm German).

- McLaren gt3 rim shifters went nuts after 5 hours of usage. Got a replacement that was slightly used but "fixed" within 72 hours.

The after-sales service may have been good but that seems to have been terrible reliability (or quality control) for new items!

Upvote 0
The after-sales service may have been good but that seems to have been terrible reliability (or quality control) for new items!
Indeed.. That's why I ordered a thrustmaster first.. My 17 year old wheel was still working fine!

I only ordered fanatec gear because there's no alternative to the ts-pc afaik and only because I'm located in the same country so if all goes bad, I can hop onto a train and pay them a visit, lol.

Have to say csl pedal pots and McLaren gt3 rim are the pieces that are known for trouble.
I was prepared for this...

The v3 pedals and all other rims seem to be good quality in general. I had a used formula black rim for 2 weeks (was too tight for my hands) that was 5 years old or something.
No issues at all!

Upvote 0
I think I'm going for the Fanatec Clubsport 2.5 + v3 Pedal set

What about a damper kit ?
(
)
I only have the csl but a club racing online friend of mine has the v3.
He didn't really felt a great difference with the damper on the brake but he loves it on the throttle to make it a bit smoother like a real throttle pedal.
He installed and kept the brake performance kit in the brake though.
But he had the screw them onto the floor (and now a rig) due to the resistances...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing