My Problem with Modern F1

Stewart_mending_suit.jpg

Formula 1… Formula 1 has changed…

I know, that was cheap, to adapt as headline a very famous sentence from Metal Gear Solid 4, but I think it fits the situation just right. F1 has indeed changed, and to me, possibly for the worst.

Of course, I am not alone in feeling this way, as many people nowadays share this same thought for many reasons. Usually the cause is mainly related to cars. They are too much dependent on aero, they look pretty awful, especially since the Halo came in, and they sound even worse. One reason of dispute is that they also no longer have engines, but Power Units. That is not a fancy dandy word to have some magic shroud fluttering around these cars, but a simple fact. These open wheelers have multiple engines, turbines, batteries, all working together harvesting, replenishing and delivering energy. Think of them as very complicated Swiss watches, where there are a multitude of cogs and gears, all linked to one another and having different sizes and functions. Everything needs to work perfectly together, and if just one cog misses a single tooth, everything falls apart and your clock stops ticking. I believe that you all know that I love innovation and modern technology in general. I indeed like the progress that is behind these Power Units, and the way they maximise results, and you can see as some hybrid cars roaming the streets now have very low, I could say incredibly low, fuel consumptions. That is made possible, in many cases, by the research brought forward by F1 vehicles. However, I despise the idea that now manufacturers have to operate inside very strict rules and limitations to develop their engines. F1 was synonym to evolution, which meant that everyone was free to bring whatever they wanted to the racetrack, and run it. Rules left much wider margins, and teams were actually able to have unique cars, not just unique solutions to the same problem as it is today.

Schumacher_Alboreto_Monaco_1992.jpg

Schumacher and Alboreto battling at Monaco in 1992. Two different cars, two very different philosophies.

The grid today is full of copycats, while in the past you could immediately tell one car from another. That is not just because of liveries, because there used to be also private teams running custom versions of the exact same car ran by the works team. Despite the livery, different car models were immediately recognizable to the motoring fan due to their original characteristics (and they still are today for the very same reason). You could spot them by shape, sense them by sound. Today, manufacturers are presented with a regulation that, basically, instructs them about how to build the vehicle for next season, much like a Lego set. They are free to move a winglet here, shift another winglet there, but that’s just it. Where is F1? Where is the “pushing technology beyond its limits” attitude anymore? It is then useless to build complexities over complexities in the rules (DRS, weird qualifying formats, double points races) to help in trying to regain the excitement this series has lost, if those in charge cannot see that it was simplicity indeed the key why F1 used to be successful. F1 is no longer exciting because it actually turned into a one-make championship.

F1_Grid_2018.jpg

The F1 2018 grid.

Sponsors are another part of the equation as to why many people do not like this sport anymore. Because they killed its soul. There used to be a time when sponsors lived happily in balance with all the traditions and particularities of F1, but that age is long gone now. Have you ever noticed that drivers on the podium do not wear laurels anymore? That they always look very composed? Well that is because, a couple of decades ago, sponsors started complaining that their brands were not visible enough during the winning ceremony. When a driver won, it used in fact to be a celebration. The champagne, the parade, people climbing up the podium or the drivers stepping down to ‘sink’ into the cheering crowd… It was awesome. Today the podium is as aseptic as a surgical room. Where is the joyfulness? Where is the triumph of life and glory after having battled a perilous battle? Signs and logos are all perfectly visible now though.

Lauda_Hunt_podium.jpg

Lauda and Hunt properly celebrating on the podium.

However, what bothers me above all is another thing entirely. I simply scorn the fact that F1 drivers have been locked up away in private and are no longer accessible to the fans now as they used to be in the past. If this was called “The Circus” was out of many reasons. One of those was that, just like a circus, everything was simple; anyone could walk among the tents, meet their heroes, have an autograph signed, shoot a picture and maybe have even a chat with them. Some lucky fans even got to share a beer or an ice cream with their idols. People loved the drivers because they looked just like ordinary people, doing an extraordinary job. You could see them eat, mending their own suits, sunbathing, chatting, in short doing things we all do. Nevertheless, then they wore their helmet and whaaam, shooting down the pit lane and roaring into the track, dominating it with their steeds.

Clark_Autographs.jpg
Dan-Gurney-with-Bruce-Boembeke-Indy-1967-Bruce-Boembeke-photo.jpg

On the left: Clark signing autographs among fans at Monaco, 1967. On the right: Dan Gurney shaking hands with supporter Bruce Boembeke at Indy, 1967. The story behind the picture as recalled by Mr. Boembeke himself:
«Back in the day, the area behind the front straight grandstand and the garages was where you could catch the drivers if you were quick enough, or in this case Dan comes walking by and I ask if I can get a picture. "SURE!" he says with a big smile, and then extends his hand and asks for my camera! What? (I'm thinking "Man, I've got pics from all day in this thing, but it's DAN!") So I hand my Instamatic over to him. Then he turns to some random passer-by and handing the guy my camera Dan says, "Take our picture". He comes back to me, and again extends his hand - I'm a kid, it takes a minute to have the gesture sink in, he wants to shake hands! - I clasp his hand (his hand is Huge) and 'snap', the pic is taken.» (Gratitude to Mr. Boembeke for sharing this story and giving permission for image use in this article)

Now they are treated as super-humans. People so distant from us, it is like they live on another planet and they just come visit us from time to time. Celebrities, living a glamorous life, in which we cannot possibly recognize anymore. They have become something else, cast away in VIP areas and keeping as much distance from the cheering crowd (yes, the very one supporting them and making their fortune) as they are told to. It is no longer a circus travelling the world, looking for new adventures, but a high security armoured van moving from one area of interest to another.

Ricciardo_Autographs.jpg

You want an autograph? Stand in line behind a wall.

Seeing drivers racing all sorts of vehicles, Sports cars, Prototypes, F2, GTs, Rallies, was an added bonus. Both for the fans, which could see them compete more than once in a year in their country and in different series, and for them, because it was all more experience to gain. When you have a broad horizon, you also have an open mentality; you are a better and more mindful person. When your horizon goes as far as where your feet are, your only concerns become your selfish interests and your personal prerogatives. This 'super-specialization' culture existing now, and stretching in all fields of work, is harmful to us as human beings, as people capable of mixing interests and gain experience thanks to contact with diversity. All this is evident in the statements of some contemporary F1 drivers, which are no longer capable of understanding the importance and the resonance of events like the Le Mans 24 Hours or the Indy 500, and their related championships seasons, or of the Rally of Montecarlo or Macau GP. When an international professional driver is no longer able to understand the significance of other series, and the heritage they bring along with them, it is a clear sign of a very troubled age happening in the motorsport.

Andretti_Midget.jpg

Mario Andretti, who raced everything having 4 wheels, here on a Midget sprint race.

Another reason as to why in the past you could easily recognize any driver, any time, was his helmet. It was just like an adorned shield, a personal coat-of-arms. Every knight had his, and wore it with proud. Many times, they came back in the pits with it under their arms, sometimes with it above them. In life and in death, it was their meaning, their battle cry, and symbolized their story. How many drivers’ graves are adorned with just their helmet? It used to tell everything there was to say about the man.

Cevert_Helmet.jpg

Francois Cevert and his iconic looking helmet.

Now they are drowned in sponsors too (sigh!)… Drivers no longer have unique helmets, but yet another aero device (now even those have wings) painted with the colours of who is paying for it. They have just become another accessory. They lack personality and lost their meaning, just as F1 did.

Verstappen_Helmet.jpg

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
What's wrong with F1 in less than a thousand words?.... Lewis Hamilton!!! (Only kidding)

My dislike for Hamilton aside, F1 just has no soul anymore!! I can't put my finger on a specific problem, but as a boy/young man, F1 was my passion. In the last decade or more I've lost touch with it, because it lost it's heart. Boring cars that are all the same, boring sterile tracks, ridiculous technology that makes the cars and drivers drive at 90% rather at full chat!! It's trying to be more for the general sports public, rather than motorsport purists. It just doesn't draw me in anymore. I miss F1, but I can't get myself to watch and enjoy it anymore .

Those late 80s, early 90s days when it was so accessible.

Not just to me, but to Eddie Jordan, to Osella, Dallara, Tyrrell, Benetton, Williams.

Where with a bit of nous and genius you could turn something really striking out - Harvey Postlethwaite's groundbreaking Stukka Tyrrell, the beautiful Scuderia Italia Dallara with the raised nose, Adrian Newey's 'porpoise' Leyton House and subsequent Williams FW14.

I still say, if you took the advertising, colour schemes off all the 1991 F1 cars and just made them all black, I'd still be able to tell you which was which.

It's just not accessible any more, F1.

And the removal of live F1 from FTA UK TV, well, I don't know what they're thinking.

To (slightly mis)quote another famous film script...

It had it .. then it lost it.

F1 fans moan about the sport more than Brits about the weather.

Come on, have a look back at the recent seasons: 2014 was fantastic, 2016 was even better, 2017 was very good and this year is great too. This sport is as good as the 80s in spite of all the changes.

Drivers like Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen or Alonso have as much talent and personnality as their greatest predecessors. And others will follow in a few years time.

By the way, those guys wear helmets that already are classics. How can you talk about lack of personality with striking designs like those of, for example, Hulk, Sainz, Magnussen, Hamilton or Vettel?

I find it to be dull, drab, and boring now. I wait for the highlights to be uploaded on YouTube instead of watching it live. When I watch anything from the 80s or 90s I find it more enjoyable compared to now. Drivers had charisma and were not dull as rocks. I swear they look like they put themselves to sleep or something.

Good article - Sadly the Mystique and charm has been sold from most things on the global stage. I guess everything has to evolve not only just to finance the show in an era of social media and global coms, but to ensure it keeps its relevance in the cutting edge of the motor industry.

I personally still enjoy F1 however I get the point you make.

The point around the drivers being inaccessible I get however is this not governed by the audience interactions being far more social media driven with Facecloth, Twitter and dedicated channels with more programming & coverage than ever before - The world we live in I guess

People seem to have rose tinted glasses on when looking back in the past. While I understand what you are saying, it wasn't all perfect and will obviously never be.
For example, people said the 07-08 cars were ugly because of all the aero devices, so the regs changed to the smoother 2009 cars. Then everyone complained about how ugly the 2009 cars were. I remember it clearly, people were going to stop watching because the cars were so ugly and not "racelike". Now, I see countless people commenting on how good the 2007-8-9 cars looked. Without doubt most were complaining when they were the current thing.
Then you have the current gen cars
They are too much dependent on aero, they look pretty awful, especially since the Halo came in, and they sound even worse.
Basically you are implying that the 2017 cars were ugly, without the halo. Seriously? What more do you want?
I guarantee in 2022 you are looking back on how good the current cars look. Especially with the futuristic designs that are coming out. "At least they looked like real F1 cars in 2018."
Go through any Youtube videos of the early 2000s and you'll see almost everyone commenting on how "This is the real F1" etc. But I distinctly remember at the time people complaining about TC/ABS/LC etc etc. "The computers drive the car, not the driver".
I wasn't around in the 60s and 70s, but I bet people complained back then too. I know the drivers did about safety.

F1 will never be perfect, no regulation changes will make it perfect because no matter what they do people will complain. I bet if we went back to V10s next year people would complain. If the regs were never changed and we still run V10s then I'm sure people would be whinging about how "it's been the same for 20 years".
It's never ending.

Last edited:
Too many tracks (and 5 of them are sh.it), refuelling not allowed, complex hybrid engines, asphalt runoffs, limit of engines that you can use during the season, not enough top speed, and not active Aero.

There is a lot wrong with F1 but it has always been the same.Two or if you are lucky 3 teams fighting for the wins & others pick up the places.A common thing among race fans is when you ask them "What was your golden period" nearly everyone says it was when they first fell in love with the sport.My favorite period was the 80s with the turbos.Favorite memory was Keke Rosberg lapping the old Silverstone GP in 1.05 over 160mph average in qualifying with full boost & qualifying tyres.What people dont remember so much is that the cars at the back of the grid were 6-10 seconds off the pace & got lapped 6 times in the race.The races were not as close as they are now & the engines were always blowing up.
I dont enjoy F1 as much now but feel lucky because there is so much other motorsport on tv or online every weekend & the sims are similar with some great products out there.

Nostalgia can be a trap. Was the racing and circus around that necessarily better? Or is it merely the idea of what we think and/or remember with fading memory?

The days when your Nokia phone lasted for 3 days on a single charge, or the days we had analog recording, vinyl and cassette tapes sounded better. Everything was better but we have to adapt to change.Those days are gone. A lot of people find it hard to deal with change.

I enjoyed F1 then and enjoy it now, we've had some great races and some boring ones.......F1 has always had one team or driver dominating but when the driver or team your supporting is not winning ......i guess it makes it even more boring. I can put a list of exciting races over the last few years but it wont make a difference.

In 10 years time the younger generation will say the 90's was a great time for F1.

I expect dislike button to take pole :rolleyes::D

It needs more on the driver skills..

first off all..a gearing stick and no traction control and no power steering. Simple wing system.. and 2 or 3 tyre choices. More races in europe variety Brandhatch year after that silverstone.... monza.... imola and more from that

And please stop the bullshit rules!!
There are to much rules and not always conscience!

The technology we have now doesn't exist before. You can't really stop it. Nostalgia.. well it can go a long way. There are people from the past who can't speak about the 50s to 90s if they liked F1 back then. (Because they are dead) Imagine the days when all you can race are horses. Then all those noisy technology came.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back