My NEW RTX 2070

M D Gourley

Premium
Hello everyone,
OMG, what a difference a modern Graphics Card makes to the Sim Racing experience. After 6 years with my much loved and abused GTX 690 having to struggle against a more powerful CPU (i7 3770K) and also being connected to triple screens 5760x1080 @ 60Hz.
I finally decided to make the jump to the new 20 series GPU's. The budget only allowed for the RTX 2070, but from the research I did on the specs compared to my GTX 690 and also allowing for my older CPU i7 3770K I thought this would be a good pairing without bottlenecking my CPU to much...so I decided to go with the 'Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition'....and, well...OMG again after I got it all up and running I decided to go into rFactor 2, load up the 'Laser Scanned version of 'SEBRING', which gave my old GTX 690 a fair thrashing even on low to medium'ish settings and gave it a go.
I immediately noticed how much better overall the graphics looked even on the low to medium'ish settings used from when the GTX 690 was still installed not to mention the FPS increase....Holy Cow...the old GTX 690 had 9 FPS on the starting Grid with 10 GT3 cars and throughout the track it did not get much higher than 25 FPS...the RTX 2070 went up to 139 FPS on the starting grid and up to 200FPS through various areas of the track...lol, o' happy days.
Now I thought I would crank rF2 up to the 'Ultra' settings using the RTX 2070 and see what happens as I have never been able to run rF2 with the GTX 690 at these settings...and I am very happy that I can finally run 10x rF2 GT3 cars on the Laser Scanned version of SEBRING in the RAIN...LOL...it was only 54 FPS on the starting grid but went up to 75 FPS throughout the track...I'll take that improvement for sure.
All in all, I am very happy with the upgrade from the GTX 690 to the RTX 2070...and this card still works great on my older spec system and gave me the FPS increase that a was hoping for.
PC specs: Asus P8 z77 V-Deluxe, i7 3770K, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, Cooler Master V1000 80 plus Gold PSU, Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition.
Clearing the 'Shader' and 'Cbash' folders did provide a slight increase in FPS on the rF2 laser scanned version of 'SEBRING Full Coarse' on 'FULL' in game graphics settings from 54 -75 FPS to 64-115FPS.
Link to how to do it....
https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-simple-way-to-clear-shaders-and-cbash.55446/
rF2 game settings for the GTX 690...
rF2 low GAME SETTINGS.jpg

GTX 690 on the grid at rF2 laser scanned SEBRING...
rF2 GTX690 Low Game Settings laser SEBRING crop.jpg

RTX 2070 with same above settings...
rF 2 RTX 2070 Low GAME SETTINGS Laser Scan SEBRING crop.jpg

rF2 Ultra settings...
rF2 Ultra GAME SETTINGS crop.jpg

RTX 2070 Ultra settings on laser scanned SEBRING in Rain...
rF2 with RTX 2070 in RAIN Ultra Settings crop.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply....and yes the performance increase was amazing...I almost could not believe my eyes...lol....hope yours gives you what you want performance wise as well.
I am also not going to intentionally over clock this card at all, just let it run in it's default configuration as it has given me the increased performance I wanted straight out of the box...as there is a lot of info around that the RTX cards are dying and not working well....fingers crossed all goes well

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you considered overclocking your processor?
No I have not...I am very happy with the performance increase as it is now...I tried doing an Auto Overclock on my CPU a couple of years back through my Asus Motherboards Software that it comes with....nearly killed my PC.... so never again....lol

No I have not...I am very happy with the performance increase as it is now...I tried doing an Auto Overclock on my CPU a couple of years back through my Asus Motherboards Software that it comes with....nearly killed my PC.... so never again....lol
OK fair enough.
To each his own.
Enjoy the new card and the performance increase. :thumbsup:

Edit: I misread the OP, it looks like the bottleneck is the new GPU - which is a surprise isn't it? Not that I know anything about it. Is this because you're running triples?

Last edited:
One of the first benchmarks with RTX ON :
https://www.techspot.com/review/1749-battlefield-ray-tracing-benchmarks/

RTX2070 is a great card and this is the reason why my friend Bjarne bought it at lower price than a GTX1080...That said, it is pure marketing from nvidia to add RTX on this model, even a RTX1080, as the minimum to "enjoy"*** ray tracing is a RTX1080ti.

***60fps@1080p
Thanks for showing some interest...I am enjoying the 2070 at the moment, but my sole purpose and really only purpose of purchasing this card was to have more FPS, smoother Sim Racing game play and it has exceeded all my expectations in that area...however, you are correct about the 'raytracing' on the 2070 as this card is possibly not powerful enough to run games with 'RT' on...but this does not bother me as the 2070 has given the performance hit I wanted.:D

Please Note: I have read that a lot of the RTX cards are failing / dying and I have taken the 'Leap of Faith' in the hope it does not happen to me...so this might be something to be aware of before purchasing a new RTX card.

That's funny MD. We have pretty much same PC after all our discussion in my thread. I have same mobo and cpu. Best of luck with the card I hope you enjoy it.

I would be interested to know what way youset the triples up also. With vsync on or off? And if you get any tearing at all.?

Edit: I misread the OP, it looks like the bottleneck is the new GPU - which is a surprise isn't it? Not that I know anything about it. Is this because you're running triples?
It could be the rF2 Ultra settings, Rain and Triple Screens that are thrashing the 2070...hasn't brought it to it's knees though ...lol...all I know and care about is that I have a far better Sim Racing experience than before...lol:D

Last edited:
I would be interested to know what way youset the triples up also. With vsync on or off? And if you get any tearing at all.?
My 3x 27" 1920x1080 Monitors at 5760x1080 are connected to the Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 with 1x HDMI and 2x Displayport...unfortunately my Monitors are old as well and did not have a Displayport connection, so I had to purchase 2x 'Displayport to HDMI' cables and had one old HDMI cable lying around that seems to work great...the connection ports on the Asus ROG Strix 2070 is the only thing that I did not like...not having 3x Displayports....but it is working..
From this website...https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/
HDMI.jpg

.....Vsync is OFF and I do not seem to get any tearing so far that I have noticed...but will pay attention now that you have mentioned it...lol

Last edited:
Thanks for showing some interest...I am enjoying the 2070 at the moment, but my sole purpose and really only purpose of purchasing this card was to have more FPS, smoother Sim Racing game play and it has exceeded all my expectations in that area...however, you are correct about the 'raytracing' on the 2070 as this card is possibly not powerful enough to run games with 'RT' on...but this does not bother me as the 2070 has given the performance hit I wanted.:D
RT will really be interesting in 4-5 years, for now it is more like a technical demo from nvidia.
Anyway, as you said, your RTX2070 is a powerful card (that I would love to own but no money for that) and you will get even more fps with the next nvidia updates during 2019 within driver optimizations ;)
Could you please continue to make screenshots with fps of your games ? I think it could help people to make their choice :)

rF2 game settings for the GTX 690...

I couldn't help but notice that there is a huge disparity in the amount of system memory used by the GTX 690 setup compared to the 2070. I think that is the source of the bottleneck. Even though the GTX 690 has 4gb of DDR5 memory, it's split between two gpu's. The 690 should run fine on a single 1080p monitor - about half the framerate of the 2070. On a triple monitor set up with full textures (x2 anisotropic filtering) enabled, the 690 is forced to use slow system memory.

I couldn't help but notice that there is a huge disparity in the amount of system memory used by the GTX 690 setup compared to the 2070. I think that is the source of the bottleneck. Even though the GTX 690 has 4gb of DDR5 memory, it's split between two gpu's. The 690 should run fine on a single 1080p monitor - about half the framerate of the 2070. On a triple monitor set up with full textures (x2 anisotropic filtering) enabled, the 690 is forced to use slow system memory.
Thank you for your thoughts...and I would say that sounds very logical to me, so the 2070 having twice the Memory and also the new faster GDDR6 memory any game is going to run faster because it does not have to use the slower system memory.:)

Trying out F1 2018 with Afterburner specs showing the Asus ROG Strix 2070 OC...I know it's not a Sim, but it is very good, feels fantastic on my TS XW and looks fantastic on a Triple Screen set up 5760x1080.
I was curious when reading reviews about FPS at 4K being about 58 so I should get slightly better as I am approx between 2560x1440 and 3840 x 2160.
Screen Shot of Ultra Settings
1 F1 2018 ULTRA HIGH SETTINGS.jpg
1a F1 2018 VIDEO MODE SETTINGS.jpg

F1 2018 Starting Grid
2 F1 2018 START GRID copy.jpg

...random screen shot during race approx 6 laps...
3 F1 2018 During Race copy.jpg

Changed the Game Settings to 'HIGH' for the below screen shot on the Starting Grid...
4 F1 2018 HIGH SETTINGS Start Grid copy.jpg

...random screen shot during race with HIGH settings...
4a F1 2018 HIGH SETTINGS During Race copy.jpg

...so quite frankly I will stick to 'HIGH' Game settings as I do not really notice a visual improvement from using Ultra Game settings and benefit from the extra FPS

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%