My Logitech rant

Have been racing a couple of months now on PC (WIN10), with G920 Wheel and pedal set. The hardware is good, seems like a solid piece of kit, but my oh my, I have fought software on this setup from day one.

Windows recognizes the hardware, all games recognize that the G920 is installed, calibration is fine, both in G HUB and in Windows.

Give Logitech credit for responding, but they were no help resolving the issue. Finally got it up and running by deleting drivers, reinstalling Logitech Gaming Software, then upgrading to G HUB software. Plain luck that something clicked somewhere, and wheel became functional. Well kind of, actually had to use Assetto Corsa setup wizard to get the wheel to work. Thanks to the AC devs for that tool.

Then a couple days ago, got an auto-update for G HUB - why did I not uncheck auto-update :( , and wheel stopped working in Project Cars 2. Worked with AC, and ACC. Same drill, try reinstalling Logitech software, deleting and reinstalling, etc., no luck, still can only use AC and ACC. Had to use AC setup wizard again to get the wheel working at all.

I have tried every solution posted anywhere on the internet. There have been some common problems, but no solutions for my issue.

My apologies to Logitech for this rant, but should it be this hard? I don't think so.

I wonder, do other vendors have similar software issues? Thrustmaster? Fanatec?

do other vendors have similar software issues?
Yes.
IMO, G HUB is NOT an upgrade from Logitech Gaming Software for G920;
G HUB is liable to updates for entirely too many unrelated devices.

Technically, I guess that part of the issue is that, rather than search for game devices
at each startup, some games cache Windows' USB device IDs,
which can change with otherwise unrelated changes to a PC's USB configuration,
including device driver updates or just adding another device.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.
Good to know (I guess) that it isn't a Logitech only issue. Someday I may well want to upgrade my controller, but for the time being, I would like to stay with what I have got.

I finally found a solution.
If I delete my PC2 folder in my Documents folder, the controller works again. Unsure what all I lose when I have to delete this folder. I know that I lose all my settings, but not sure what all else.

Upvote 0
If I delete my PC2 folder in my Documents folder, the controller works again.
Same thing has happened to me, several times, in Assetto Corsa,
  • when I added Content Manager
  • when I added VR
  • when I replaced G29 with AccuForce
  • when I re-added VR
Assetto Corsa recreates the Documents folder at next launch.
I tried comparing old and new folders using WinMerge, but that was too tedious for me.

Upvote 0
I should now add that I have been using the G920 without issues for quite some time now. Have not been using PC2, but deleting the folder worked when I had issues with it.

I will no longer complain about Logitech, the G920 served me very well (have recently replaced it).

Have at a minimum a few hundred hours on it, and it is still rock solid. Hard to beat at the price point it was at.

Upvote 0
Project Cars 2 changes part of a registry file when you open it, and logitech then doesnt work in any games after (at least for me, not sure maybe some games the ffb still works). I found somewhere the fix for it which require you to change some numbers in a specific registry file. It was suggested to then save that so as you could use it quickly each time after you use PC2. So I did save it to a notepad, but I have not played PC2 since then because it took a long time to wade through the internet to find the solution and I worry I wont remember how to do the registry thing again.

Anyway, its a very common issue that has to do with how PC2 does something in the registry. Not well versed enough to explain more than that, but perhaps helpful for you.

Upvote 0
I used to be a big believer in Logitech and have always been a brand loyal fool. For 20 years it was my peripherals of choice for the 5 Pc's running in my house. GHub is complete and utter trash and their refusal to accept that has lost me as a customer for life. I've tried to email them numerous times and the response is completely unsatisfactory. For a few years I've been able to use LGS as a workaround but fortunately managed to remove most everything from our systems now.

Do yourself a favour and give up on GHub.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing