My iRacing experience thus far.....

I have about/almost 2 months of membership completed. I have been having a blast. This and Raceroom are my favorites.
Up until iRacing I was finding it difficult to race online. I joined this site hoping to race often. I finally accepted that due to my 60 hour work weeks, Pacific time zone, family life, playing in 2 bands that rehearse and gig, and my other outdoor hobby of cycling, that I just didn't fit in with the race times not only here but everywhere. I spent weeks looking for a league but I just could not either get home from work on time or commit to a specific time and day permanently. So back to solo racing in Raceroom for me it was unless I took a day off of work.
But then I decided to give iRacing a shot and I committed to a year subscription. I figured a year would be a good way to measure its worth to my schedule. I have raced online more in these first couple of months than I have my whole first year of sim racing period. And I have been really enjoying it. I am currently focusing on the oval side of things because I already own all of the Raceroom content and I am more interested in their road car offerings at the moment vs iRacing. And in order to spread the cost I have to just focus on one at a time.
And now the cost. For a person with my schedule it has been worth the cost. To be able to come home in the evening and still find races with people in it after 9pm PST every night of the week has been awesome. It has justified the cost and the racing experience has been top notch. So far its still my cheapest hobby, including the cost of building my PC and the iRacing pay model when compared to my road and mountain bikes and 4 drumsets hahaha. Plus downloading sims is way easier to hide from the wife! I wish I did't have to add another expense and I envy those who have more flexible schedules so they can race online in other sims.
Thanks for letting me share! Peace to all!

No. Any good driving instructor will tell you that your car goes where your head is looking and it's very important to move your head to look where you want to go, and it's much more effective moving your whole head than just your eyes. Motorcyclists know this too as they're often told to "get your head up" which means to move your head in the direction you want to be turning instead of just looking at it with your eyes.
Lol. Whatever. If you believe that, then I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. I ran the driving school at road Atlanta

to brandon wright

i've more good : 401 hours in ams since i've buy it for 27 euros in august :D
i'll go to explosed my 500-600 euros for 1500-2000 hours in iracing lol

more seriously, if you find your hapiness in iracing , it's the most important ^^
i think one day i'll come back to it , but when they would have add what for is really important for me, for a product of this price who want to be "a racing simulator" , as tyres compound , day n night , rain, technical failures etc etc...finally i think , i'm just a little bored to wait after all this sub years

have fun to you and give your best, friend driver ^^

Last edited:
Lol. Whatever. If you believe that, then I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. I ran the driving school at road Atlanta

Yep, I do, and I've had four different driving instructors in two different disciplines (AutoX and motorcycle) tell me as much. Pretty basic concept really, your eyes work best when they're both facing forward, looking to the side starts to reduce the clarity of your vision. Easy to test, keep your head still and move your eyes to the right or left, the more to the side you look you start to get a bit of blur or double vision (not ideal at 150mph going two-wide into a turn). This is especially true in VR where things off to the side start to get a slight blur anyway.

Last night I was doing some driving in VR and kept my head still and only moved my eyes, it was awful and felt like I was driving with one hand behind my back. I could see the apex fine but couldn't really see my exit and kept running wide. Then I switched it up and started really moving my head to look where I was going, felt so much more natural and I was nailing my exits with no problem. Not even a question that moving your whole head is better.

Here's a snippet from an AutoX book called Speed Secrets that says as much, look as far up the road as possible and move your head from side to side, look through the turn, focus your eyes on where you want to go (which you can't likely do if your exit is far to the side and you're keeping your head straight ahead).
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 7.20.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 7.14.04 AM.png

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=m4rI5mMdmscC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=move+your+head+while+driving+to+look+where+you+want+to+go&source=bl&ots=EYVU7iWDt_&sig=55sYzEjYFJO4jz-d9tqlkjkvy3Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiryYn76_LXAhVKRSYKHb03C6gQ6AEIYTAJ#v=onepage&q=move your head while driving to look where you want to go&f=false

don't we do the same in many sports? at least my tennis coach told me some decades back to always focus on the bit of court i wanted my ball to land in. Of course, playing tournaments later, one had to unlearn it a bit, secrecy is a good weapon as well :) (does not matter in racing, though) with the little karting i have done, everything but turning your head towards the apex would have felt weird. in simracing with only one screen, though, i always switch off any blur, head motion and look towards apex function because i want to get an undiluted image.

don't we do the same in many sports? at least my tennis coach told me some decades back to always focus on the bit of court i wanted my ball to land in. Of course, playing tournaments later, one had to unlearn it a bit, secrecy is a good weapon as well :) (does not matter in racing, though) with the little karting i have done, everything but turning your head towards the apex would have felt weird. in simracing with only one screen, though, i always switch off any blur, head motion and look towards apex function because i want to get an undiluted image.

Absolutely, the body follows the eyes. Walk down the street, turn your head slightly to the left and you'll notice you start slightly walking to the left. It happens if you just move your eyes too but to a lesser degree, and of course your vision isn't at its best when you're looking to the side so to maximize the impact of the body follows the eyes principle it's best to move your whole head so your eyes can remain focused forward which is when they're at their best.

Anyway, who's tired the RallyCross? :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back