My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, depend wich quality you want, or if you don't want to use used component.

Here's my list ( French )

https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/mizoo-rfr-wheel-by-magicfr

I'm at 1216€ atm only new component, including case , buttons, rotatry. Excluding rims and paddle.

The graphs (few posts above) are off chart man !.. ;) looks really interesting really...
The component list price is in line with what i was expecting too....will drop an eye on the frnch link (thanks) to see the list
have rims with buttons/sli and QR already so only piece that is missing...THIS !
when when...?! :whistling:...can't wait

Upvote 0
For information, the other option to reduce the cost and belts pulley problems is to use a Mige AC servo-Motor like the Magic motor but with 10 Nm constant torque. So you can attach the steering wheel directly to the motor...The others parts are the same like Magic setup...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PM-Servo-Motor/267482883.html

Thanks Stef for the heads up
How do the two compare as cogging is concerned ? Are those powerful servos smooth in that sense
Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a Mige 5N.m, I barely feel cogging when turning the motor axle with my fingers.
When I plugged my 300mm rim on it, I couldn't feel the cogging at all.

Your rim axle seems small, mine has 20mm diameter, with motor that strong that's a minimum.

Nice dashboard ;)

Upvote 0
Wow that 10nm wheel looks absolutely awesome, magicFR you have done a fantastic job there an OC geek your dash looks great too.
I am currently looking to upgrade my wheel too or atleast a motor drive system for a wheel in the next 2-3 month as I am building a complete rig for myself and considering all options available. When I stumbled upon this I thought this is just perfect for my rig.
Is this firmware still in development? will it be longer than 3 months? and will it be available for purchase? I take it MagicFR you are a beta tester for this wheel. I also have some hydraulic pedals in the middle of a diy build.

But dam I need this wheel for my rig.

Heres a few pics of my rig in middle of build and what I want it for.
IMG_20130119_154003.jpg
IMG_20130111_223947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130111_223905.jpg
    IMG_20130111_223905.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 0
Why is this firmware still not available ?
Several years ago, I built an other USB device, the firmware was freely available but for no commercial use. Few months later, a chinese compagny sold a clone of my device with a patched firmware (new VID/PID, name, etc ...), without any permission, of course.

So, now, the firmware will be available only when a secure bootloader will be installed on the board (this bootloader is not complete yet).

Upvote 0
Ah ok thankyou for your response. I too have dabbled with AVR and bootloaders etc for increasing my arduino speed to 20mhz.
So if its just the bootloader it really shouldnt be too long, great.

Mizoo I think I remember you from x-simulator am I right there was some ffb wheel dev there but i dont think the guy ever finished his project.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years