My G27 should not be landfill

The potentiometers on my G27 have had it.

I've cleaned them more than once, I've swapped the rarely used clutch with the brake, I've done all the maintenance I can.

It's over.:( (my throttle spikes and won't stay much above an average value of 80% - I'm getting blown away on the straights...)

Can anyone help me find new potentiometers that fit and will do the job? Any advice?

Logitech have been no help at all. (Some corporate legalese about not encouraging us to open up the pedal housing is all you get).

My G27 is a great wheel. It doesn't deserve to become landfill because one easily replaceable four year old part is worn out.

Help????

I replaced my pots with Hall Affect Sensors (HAS) Link to Leobodnar ones I got mine locally
You have to do a bit of DIY to make brackets, I made mine out of old plastic credit card like cards and hot glue.
I also made a C shape bracket glued on the original pedal gear arm that the pot gear used to which I glued some small magnets so that they move around the HAS which is connected to the pot wiring. I originally had only one magnet but found out that I was only using half the range of the HAS. a bit of trial and error enginering needed to get the full range as far as distance and magnet polarity. This set-up might not be the best, I have seen round magnets with a hole in them (mounted on the gear shaft) that rotate around the HAS this is what I did at the time. The signal in my configuration is non linear fairly fast at the start of the pressing of the peddle quite sensitive in the middle and then fast in the end to the fully pressed position.
Hall AS.jpg

The pedal wiring is then connected directly to the PC via the Leo Bodnar Cable adapter

Upvote 0
I replaced my pots with Hall Affect Sensors (HAS) Link to Leobodnar ones I got mine locally
You have to do a bit of DIY to make brackets, I made mine out of old plastic credit card like cards and hot glue.
I also made a C shape bracket glued on the original pedal gear arm that the pot gear used to which I glued some small magnets so that they move around the HAS which is connected to the pot wiring. I originally had only one magnet but found out that I was only using half the range of the HAS. a bit of trial and error enginering needed to get the full range as far as distance and magnet polarity. This set-up might not be the best, I have seen round magnets with a hole in them (mounted on the gear shaft) that rotate around the HAS this is what I did at the time. The signal in my configuration is non linear fairly fast at the start of the pressing of the peddle quite sensitive in the middle and then fast in the end to the fully pressed position.
View attachment 127235
The pedal wiring is then connected directly to the PC via the Leo Bodnar Cable adapter

Im currently requiring to replace my pots for my logitech g920. tried cleaning it but it doesnt work coz the conductive carbon paint in the paint is scratched out. finding genuine pot is impossible.

thank you for your diagram. i might want to try this. Can i ask why did you use pedal wiring directly to pc? will it not work with the pedal connected to the wheel?

Upvote 0
Great to see this thread I started in March 2016 come to life again...

My G27 is still going strong - I tried pulling my potentiometers (pots) apart and cleaning them but that took hours and only helped for a month or so.

Then I tried this:

contact-cleaner-lubricant-spray-canImageMain-515.jpg

A quick spray inside each pot and they have worked perfectly ever since (now two years!!). No need to open them up - just put the nozzle in.

Disclaimer: I do not have any interest in any company that makes or sells this stuff. It just fixed my pots and saved my G27 from the scrapheap, so I am happy to recommend it.
And I'm sure any similar product would be just as good.

Im currently requiring to replace my pots for my logitech g920. tried cleaning it but it doesn't work coz the conductive carbon paint in the paint is scratched out. finding genuine pot is impossible.

From the sounds of it, the spray may not work for you if the conductive surfaces are scratched? May still be worth a try though.

Upvote 0
Im currently requiring to replace my pots for my logitech g920. tried cleaning it but it doesnt work coz the conductive carbon paint in the paint is scratched out. finding genuine pot is impossible.

thank you for your diagram. i might want to try this. Can i ask why did you use pedal wiring directly to pc? will it not work with the pedal connected to the wheel?
I believe that the Hall Effect Sensors need amplification and the Leo Bodnar cable has this built in. I had not tried it without the cable. But my logic tells me the Logitec wheel that the original pots plug into are setup for the signal from the pots on the pedals and not Hall Effect Sensors
By the way the Leo Bodnar cable will improve the resolution from the original pots (well that's if they are still in a working state.

Upvote 0
Great to see this thread I started in March 2016 come to life again...

My G27 is still going strong - I tried pulling my potentiometers (pots) apart and cleaning them but that took hours and only helped for a month or so.

Then I tried this:

contact-cleaner-lubricant-spray-canImageMain-515.jpg

A quick spray inside each pot and they have worked perfectly ever since (now two years!!). No need to open them up - just put the nozzle in.

Disclaimer: I do not have any interest in any company that makes or sells this stuff. It just fixed my pots and saved my G27 from the scrapheap, so I am happy to recommend it.
And I'm sure any similar product would be just as good.

From the sounds of it, the spray may not work for you if the conductive surfaces are scratched? May still be worth a try though.

Hi, sorry to necrobump this thread, but the image in your post has disappeared, what did you use on your potentiometers?

Upvote 0
Hi, sorry to necrobump this thread, but the image in your post has disappeared, what did you use on your potentiometers?

The product was Electrical Clean and Lube. I sprayed the pots once in mid-2016. They have worked perfectly ever since. I bought it at the local electronics store. It's got a little nozzle on it (not pictured) so you can get it in to the pots without taking them apart.

I think they removed the picture as they don't want 'advertising' on the site - which is totally fair enough...

upload_2018-11-27_11-48-44.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%