My first race rig build, I have the disease :-)

DesKane

dksRacing Kaney
Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research recently and loving it, and have had sleepless nights over it, getting more and more into iRacing and many other race sims out there, so I thought F**K IT I am gonna take the plunge get involved and invest in a bit of a race rig to give that more immersive experience, I have want and have read about. I AM VERY EXCITED.
I have 2 computers I have built over this last year, 1 more of a gaming build, a small form factor, based around a MiniITX Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe with i5-3570k, but I have also built a bit of a workstation Rig which I think is what I going to sit on this race rig build !! :) I would just like to see how well it powers the monitors and generally just copes with some of the more recent Race Sims out there at the moment. I think I am happy with my choice of hardware combinations, EVERYTHING is on order with some of the kit I already have and on its way, so as it comes I will share with you guys who are interested !?!? just to see how they play with my combination !!!
All in the name of science of course. :geek:

Please let me know what you think!? All feedback very welcome :)

So RIG Ideas and Computer Specs Plus Other Peripherals So Far:-

RACE RIG BUILD
Obutto Revolution Rig……….. NOW rseat RS1 ;-)
Triple Monitor Mount
Articulating Keyboard/Mouse Tray
Acrylic Tabletops

RACE RIG HARDWARE
FANATEC

ClubSport Wheel Base V2
ClubSport Pedals V2
ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW M3 GT2
Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon
CSR Elite Pedal Inverted

SIM RACING HARDWARE (SRH)
TACH STAND - Tachometer Max 11.000 rev range
GI-MAX - Digital gear shift indicator
SPI-D - Digital Speedometer

SIMXPERIENCE
x4 Buttkicker Mini LFE SE
SimVibe Software License (Sim Commander 3)

COMPUTER RIG
MOBO - ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - Core i7-3930K
RAM - 24GB DOMINATOR Platinum Memory Kit 2133MHz
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK Professional Series Gold 850W
GPU - x2 EVGA 3GB GTX780 Classified - (CURRENTLY)
new GPU - MSI GTX 980 GAMING Twin Frozr V 4GB (Maxwell)
MONITORS - x3 Acer Predator XB270HA 27" G-Sync 144Hz
SOUND CARD - Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-E (for Corsair SP2500)
SPEAKERS - Corsair SP2500 Gaming Speakers Audio System 2.1
SOUND CARD - Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-E Sound (for x4 ButtKicker Mini LFE SE)
AMPLIFIER - Behringer EPQ304 300W 4 Channel (for x4 ButtKicker Mini LFE SE)

This could be fun !! :p

Last edited:
Cheers Dave, will look much better when the tables are Carbon Fibered ! :) Its not too bad though. There maybe further mods to the table top to get the monitors closer but they are at arms length already so maybe just a bit closer will be better.

The Fanatec gear has been great, did a lot of research and yeah there is worse kit our there and better for that matter, but did hear about break downs etc. but this V2 kit has been okay, Initially I wasn't sure though hence why I ended up buying 2 sets of pedals and wheels from the off. The Clubsport pedals I think are the better of the two though, just a bit more responsive.

Upvote 0
I Don't think I was clear from the recent images, but I built the corner unit to support my 3 monitors and do away with my Rseat Triple Monitor Stand just to create some space. I think my corner unit works fine and have created spaces to manage the cables much better, however from testing the Rig properly I could not get the monitors close enough and was sat far too low for a realistic racing position. So today I have made just a few minor mods by building plinths all round for the rig to sit on, so this has raised it up a few inches and also cut a space out of the table to accommodate the steering wheel and getting everything closer to the monitors. I will hopefully this week have everything in a carbon fibre finish which will be a much better finish. A few pics to share, so far. :)

The driving position so far feels pretty good.

I am also running x4 Mini LFE Buttkickers with a Berhinger EPQ304 Europower 300W and I just don't think the AMP is up for the job !? Can anyone recommend something with a lot more headroom to max these little units out !!?

Many thanks.
Rig 1.jpg
Rig 2.jpg
Rig 3.jpg

Upvote 0
A couple of more updates over the weekend :O_o:

Received my new amp today to drive the 4 mini buttkicker LFEs, thanks Amazon for delivering on a Sunday. I am currently running a Behringer EPZ304 Europower 300W 4 Channel Power Amplifier, and it really isn't that powerful. The new amp is a Behringer NU1000 inuke 1000W (2 Channel) and yep that does the job good and proper, the BKs are popping out of their cases. :p I may have to look at where the BKs are positioned as I moved them off the chassis of the Rig and bolted them under my seat so they were closer to me as the old Amp just didn't have the juice to drive them.

I now have x2 BKs plugged into the old amp up front under the pedals, set to 'Bridge' mode to give the BKs a bit more range, with the other x2 BKs plugged into the NU1000 and this seems to work A Okay. I think I will eventually purchase another NU1000 and do away with the old amp just to even things up. I am still learning and enjoying it as I go.

The final mod after building the corner unit the wood finish was just too nice!! :confused: so I have stealth bombered everything up and given it a Carbon Fibre finish. NASTY !

I have added a few pics to share, even though the corner unit is modular and can be broken down for me to get easy access to cables etc, It was still a proper pain in the arse just adding a new AMP, everything had to come off but it had to be done properly, Overall I am happy with the finished setup, all together the kit plays very well and does give great feedback. Is that is it ? I doubt it, I am sure there will be something else to modify soon ;)

Cheers All. :thumbsup:
Build 1.jpg
Build 2.jpg
Build 3.jpg
Build 4.jpg
Build 5.jpg
Build 6.jpg
Build 7.jpg
Build 8.jpg
Rig 1.jpg
Rig 2.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Guys !

Kjell I do have a bit more scope to get the screens a bit closer, I have added some pics as usual. I always take pics with the chair all the way back, I have just had a bit of a measure up and in the seated racing position the front main screen is about 26"/27" away from my chest/face. It is in fact exactly my my arms length away. From the pics you can see I can bring the front main screen closer maybe another inch, and from the way I have cut my desk I could make the 2 outer monitors a more acute angle. Maybe not easy to explain but A note to anyone out there wanting to build themselves a corner unit, don't do what I did initially and cut a straight 45º angle out of the table top to fit in the corner as you will not give yourself enough space for the left and right monitors, to bring them closer to you, you will run out of desk space, anyway, pics attached.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Desk 1.jpg
Desk 2.jpg
Desk 3.jpg
Desk 4.jpg

Upvote 0
Really like the look of your rig m8, the carbon on the desk looks great.
I've got a Dell monitor which has a great stand/foot, allows me to tilt and adjust the height of the monitor, when I race I'm able to pull the monitor way up so it pretty much rests at the back of my CSW v2 base, find that to be the perfect distance but perhaps just because I'm used to it now ^^

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back