DiRT Rally 2.0 My first impressions

Yesterday I finally tried Dirt Rally 2.0, ver. 1.5, which I think already has fixed force feedback.

What I liked:

The game works well, no problems and no need to install anything, even when I'm running Windows 7.

The physics and they way the car behaves are very good, even better than Dirt Rally 1, both in gravel and tarmac.

The force feedback is good enough for me (using a Simucube OSW). I still have to tweak it a little. I've found a great improvement in the strenght of collisions, even when you touch a ditch or a wall.

The configuration options are much better than Dirt Rally 1, specially regarding the controls, and no issues setting multiple devices or loosing saved configuration.

The menus are better than Dirt Rally 1.

Sim Commander 4 works perfectly for my bodyshakers.

Good sounds.

What I didn't like:

It takes too much space on my hard disk.

Very long loading times.

The graphics are not impressive. I don't think they are better than Dirt Rally 1. I find them too saturated and the result looks to arcadey. They need more dust and dirt.

No 5.1 sound, or at least the codriver doesn't sound from the center speaker, so I can't use my earbud to simulate an intercom (it works with Dirt Rally 1).

Performance is worse than Dirt Rally 1, which doesn't make sense since the graphics are not so great.

The handbrake feels like digital. It's impossible to control. If this is not fixed, I'm uninstalling the game.

Horrible graphic glitches on water. It looks white and pixelated. Any idea? I'm using a Geforce 970.

The stages are not very appealing. Again, the way they are designed sometimes look like taken from an arcade game.

SimHub is not working for my dashboard monitor, for the moment.

No WRC cars and lots of old cars that are not interesting to me.

Lots of rallycross tracks which are not interesting to me.

The codriver sounds worse than Dirt Rally 1.

No tips on the menus explaining the different configuration options.

Last edited:
No 5.1 sound, or at least the codriver doesn't sound from the center speaker, so I can't use my earbud to simulate an intercom (it works with Dirt Rally 1).

https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/CoDriver-Splitter/releases

Performance is worse than Dirt Rally 1, which doesn't make sense since the graphics are not so great.

Graphics is just one part of the overall performance of the game. (Though there's a noticeable improvement in that regard compared to previous game IMO.)

The handbrake feels like digital. It's impossible to control. If this is not fixed, I'm uninstalling the game.
It is digital, though very possible to control. Unlikely to be changed, so I guess you'll be uninstalling.

The stages are not very appealing. Again, the way they are designed sometimes look like taken from an arcade game.

The stages are exact recreations of real-life stages. Sorry you find reality like taken from an arcade game.

SimHub is not working for my dashboard monitor, for the moment.
Must be something on your end, SimHub has been working perfectly from day one with DR2.

DR2.0 is a pretty demanding game, my EVGA 1080 TI SC with an i7 8700K can't handle full Ultra or High settings on 4K. Turn the Crowd down, as well as any MSAA. Use CMAA if you can.

Stages load quick as well, but I am using 2 PCIe M.2 HDDs. It looks worlds better than DiRT RALLY, imo. The ground, trees and tracks are highly improved. The stages are fantastic as well, not sure how you can't enjoy them. I guess you don't like the stages in real life either?

Thanks for that link, Martin! Much appreciated.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 300 13.3%