WIP My first concept from scratch

To get a realistic car I think you need to closely copy something that exists already in some regards... otherwise you avoid the engineering limitations determined by existing cars and perhaps end up with something that feels unrealistic.

That then limits your creativity so it's a tough balance to find. Take any Racer car of a real car and add 50% power, more brakes, less weight etc, and it's fast, but it just feels fake hehe... tis hard to get it not feeling like a stupidly tuned car that isn't real :D (might all just be in our heads though!)

Hmmm

Dave

suggestion.jpg

Suggestion.. a semi-fastback.. with lifted front-lights. Not so futuristic as yours of course ;)
This is only because I love fastbacks! Your design rocks none-the-less!

PS: I should add that your design is very "proto-type", i.e. not fit for marked. It is lovely, but
too much "design board" still. The roughness needs to be.. what-u-makallit.. toned down?
Keep the overall design, but adapt it to the existing marked. Fastback :D

Suggestion.. a semi-fastback.. with lifted front-lights. Not so futuristic as yours of course ;)
This is only because I love fastbacks! Your design rocks none-the-less!

PS: I should add that your design is very "proto-type", i.e. not fit for marked. It is lovely, but
too much "design board" still. The roughness needs to be.. what-u-makallit.. toned down?
Keep the overall design, but adapt it to the existing marked. Fastback :D

Hehe, no I don't like fastbacks. Since I do not know anything about car design (the rules and regulations, politics and all that stuff), I just make what I like and looks good imho. Besides, I haven't said, the car is for existing market. Perhaps it is for future markets... ;)

Great start. :)
You really do have some original ideas, but if you try to start with the look of another car you will end up fighting to make it look original from then on.
I've done my share of industrial design work and have a few tips that might help.
Try experimenting with wheel designs and offsets as well. They make a huge difference in the looks and can bring out new ideas as well. A/B pillar positioning combined with beltline height and wedge give a sense of weight and balance. Tumblehome is very important, too much and the car will looked squashed and the cabin will be cramped, too little will cause the roof to be out of scale with the rest of the car.
Try starting out with simple tires/seat/engine and move everything around until it feels right, this will help set a wheelbase and track that looks good to you.

Cars have traditionally been designed from the inside out, here are some of the things they consider in the early design phases in no particular order...
1. General application (sports, economy,utility...)
2. Engine location and expected power.
3. Passenger / Cargo ratio.
4. Drivetrain (FWD/RWD etc..)
5. Sightlines (how easy is it to see out of)
6. Price (Even Rolls considers this.)
7. Sourcing. Most large companies will source parts across several models to cut development and manufacturing costs. For example the side marker on a Ferrari 308 GTS is the same one used on the Fiat X/19, and they were both produced by an outside source.
8. Target weight. (affects price and determines materials some)
9. Materials (affects price and takes market/application into consideration)

Considering the same limitations will help push your design along its own path and it will grow a character all it's own.

I hope this helps, feel free to tell me to go get bent. ;)

Alex Forbin

Great start. :)
You really do have some original ideas, but if you try to start with the look of another car you will end up fighting to make it look original from then on.
I've done my share of industrial design work and have a few tips that might help.
Try experimenting with wheel designs and offsets as well. They make a huge difference in the looks and can bring out new ideas as well. A/B pillar positioning combined with beltline height and wedge give a sense of weight and balance. Tumblehome is very important, too much and the car will looked squashed and the cabin will be cramped, too little will cause the roof to be out of scale with the rest of the car.
Try starting out with simple tires/seat/engine and move everything around until it feels right, this will help set a wheelbase and track that looks good to you.

Cars have traditionally been designed from the inside out, here are some of the things they consider in the early design phases in no particular order...
1. General application (sports, economy,utility...)
2. Engine location and expected power.
3. Passenger / Cargo ratio.
4. Drivetrain (FWD/RWD etc..)
5. Sightlines (how easy is it to see out of)
6. Price (Even Rolls considers this.)
7. Sourcing. Most large companies will source parts across several models to cut development and manufacturing costs. For example the side marker on a Ferrari 308 GTS is the same one used on the Fiat X/19, and they were both produced by an outside source.
8. Target weight. (affects price and determines materials some)
9. Materials (affects price and takes market/application into consideration)

Considering the same limitations will help push your design along its own path and it will grow a character all it's own.

I hope this helps, feel free to tell me to go get bent. ;)

Alex Forbin

Thanks for the info! I must get familiar with the terms beltline, wedge, tumblehome etc :D Perhaps my next concept will be more original :)

This is a truly stunning piece of automotive design, and while it may show its 'Vette origins, it has its own appeal. I would, however, advise against square-ish headlights, and would recommend some Ferrari California-esque lights (scaled to fit the design - smaller than the ones on the Ferrari) which would look stunning. You should also go crazy with LED patterns for the car's DRLs, like Lamborghini's Y pattern.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%