My fantasy rig (for now)

After seeing so many threads of alu-rigs i decided to give it a crack myself.

3D program: Google Sketchup (dead easy, pretty much all the parts exist as 3d models)
Renderer: Keyshot 3 (looks SICK)

Parts used:
80/20 on Ebay
45x45mm is the only pieces used for now, just started.

(wood is just to get some nice contrast)

As you can see it´s just the start, materials used for the looks are some wood and Titanium.

Will update when there´s progress, still haven´t decided on a few things.

I've moved the monitor stand back in mine as it seems too close. Would you agree?
These two images below should show what size I mean by the keyboard/mouse. Perhaps its best to raise the rig off the ground to the height that this one is :)

DSC_4829_zpsccdc5dc0.jpg.html

Upvote 0
Suggestion re - mouse and keyboard 'tray' - have a look at wall mounted monitor brackets that allow the monitor to be adjusted,might just fire the imagination and help with design. For mouse check out usb trackpads - no need for a flat surface could even be mounted vertically on your dash?

Upvote 0
I've moved the monitor stand back in mine as it seems too close. Would you agree?
I have no idea actually, i have no measurements from me to wheel but what i know is i will have my screens as close to the wheel as possible.

That´s a nice idea for the keyboard and mouse tray, will have to look into that.

the lean on my seat will be slightly less then this due to my higher rear bar.
Looks pretty cool :)
image_zpsf9bd87d0.jpg

Upvote 0
re-inforced and at the same time created some bars for the bottom to the seat.
So when the seat is in place i can move those two bars up so they take some of the weight, that way i have three places taking the weight and won´t risk excessive flexing.

I´ll also go the click-system route everywhere except the triple stand horizontal beams.

171464267dffdecbde5db856e1752b5d9038cdcd.jpg

1714642512874cffa244e9eed63c516781dc7827.jpg

17146424f7b50f6e422615dae1a0e1d125143f46.jpg

Upvote 0
I think it´s doable, perhaps some strengthening is possible, just place two bits on the outer edges of the arms and lengthen the arms a little bit.

Yea new design looks so much better, not so much clutter and more minimalistic.
Still some good storage below the seat as well.

No i haven´t sorry, i only got Pedals and DSD shifter.
I´ll send him a PM and see, would love to have a button box somewhere.

Upvote 0
Could we see what Pedals and G27 would look like, I'm seriously considering building this in the summer :) any news on the swinging keyboard/mouse tray or is it not possible?

Upvote 0
Could we see what Pedals and G27 would look like, I'm seriously considering building this in the summer :) any news on the swinging keyboard/mouse tray or is it not possible?
Yea tomorrow all the DSD stuff will be on the rig i think.

I can send you the clean file for the rig if you want? After that i can´t share anything else due to legal obligations.

Keyboard tray i think i have an idea on how to solve it, there are easy ways but might as well do some extra thinking on that part.

Upvote 0
Nice work and fun to watch the evolution of your rig
But don't forget that you need to get in and out!
I know i would have problems in its current state
Age is a factor i know lol might not be a concern for you.... yet? :)

Upvote 0
It won´t be easy :)

Nice work and fun to watch the evolution of your rig
But don't forget that you need to get in and out!
I know i would have problems in its current state
Age is a factor i know lol might not be a concern for you.... yet? :)
Thanks, yea i know, it´s not that much one can do about it with this sort of setup and still keep the strength in the cockpit.
There will be brake pressures of 90-100kg´s so i can´t afford to cut of a piece of one side as it might twist at such high pressure.

I guess one thing you can do is putting your Triple screens further back, un-screw steering wheel section and move it forward, then place your butt in the seat, squeeze in the legs then pull steering section towards you and lock it in.

Or if you imagine sitting in the rear of a car you have one of those handles just above the window. One could build something directly above the seating position with handles to pull yourself in and out.

Upvote 0
All it needs is some sort of rubber/leather hand rests on the side.. so you can push yourself up and out with it and legs should follow... :) A bit like using the side of a go kart... Any estimates on how much the whole rig will cost? (including VESA mounts)

Upvote 0
This is only for the aluminium and it´s maybe not from the cheapest place in Europe, i´m gonna look for a distributor outside Sweden and see if even with shipping i can get the price down some.

SEK - 5021
EUR - 585
GBP - 477
USD - 764

I really want to anodize my rig as well :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 213 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years