My fantasy rig (for now)

After seeing so many threads of alu-rigs i decided to give it a crack myself.

3D program: Google Sketchup (dead easy, pretty much all the parts exist as 3d models)
Renderer: Keyshot 3 (looks SICK)

Parts used:
80/20 on Ebay
45x45mm is the only pieces used for now, just started.

(wood is just to get some nice contrast)

As you can see it´s just the start, materials used for the looks are some wood and Titanium.

Will update when there´s progress, still haven´t decided on a few things.

Same here... interesting to see what they wanted me, i don´t even know how they know i play around with SketchUp...

I´m hoping it´s something like a 30-day trial of Solidworks :) that would be awesome.

Spaceclaim also looks like a nice CAD software.

Upvote 0
Same here... interesting to see what they wanted me, i don´t even know how they know i play around with SketchUp...

I´m hoping it´s something like a 30-day trial of Solidworks :) that would be awesome.

Spaceclaim also looks like a nice CAD software.

Solidworks is the industry standard. The educational package is about 1000USD, and the full commercial license is about ten times that. It's a program I want to learn and use, but I am more curious about it than really need it. Rhino is superb for what I do :)

Upvote 0
When I took a night class for Solidworks, the 30 day trial came for free with the class (even though it was added to the cost of the course). Obviously I'm computer literate and have a cracked copy, which I don't intend on getting rid of any time soon. I know that there was a recent 1/2 price sale from Solidworks which dropped it down to $3699, but the constant updates always cost more, plus that's just for the base base model. My teacher said his company was up around $25000 a year per design/engineer after maintenance etc.
But... what I see you guys doing with Google, f**k using solidworks. If you can do that in minutes! That would take me all day from scratch. Also, Autocad 3D is really popular. Sortof a Windows vs Mac situation. There so similar, but blatantly opposite just to confuse people. I like what I got.

Upvote 0
I'd post the renders of my pedals which were made with Rhino Cad 4, but they are simply crude when I compare them to what Hampus has done. Rhino does a great job for me, and Solidworks is more of a "want to know it" kind of thing than a real necessity in my case.

Upvote 0
Sorry Hampus, :D
here is the kind of catalog we had at work... all the fitting you will ever need...
http://www.8020.net/Product-Catalog.asp many an hours was spent browsing...

you can even hide your cables in certain types of section and have a lateral section with power points in it...
it was safer/cheaper for me in the end to buy a rig
Yea have that one, problem is most of the things they have do not exist in Sweden :(

Got a few months left of evolving the rig and come up with a solid plan before the Siberian vinter hits Sweden :)

Upvote 0
Why is this happening?

Both the bracket and footplate are 10 degrees. I even made a new footplate just to see if it was that one which was maybe off by a degree or so.

Bracket is also checked and all dimensions are correct.
At first i thought it was twisted but Sketchup don´t do angles unless there´s lines accentuating them.

Maybe this sort of stuff is why it´s free lol. Totally unacceptable imo.

Edit: One side is below the footplate, the other is actually lifted off the ground slightly.
Must be some graphical error or something.

Upvote 0
Made the horizontal profile a bit longer for more adjustability for the shifter.

And created a new bracket, i´m hoping this solution allows me to not mount profiles at the very ends of the triple stand.
It looks like it will hold a screen but you never know.
Have to get some price points on the custom brackets soon.
I really have no idea how much custom brackets can cost.

Upvote 0
To put on the top you mean instead of the 12-hole bracket?
Yea that could work but then i would have to move the two small brackets and put them on the back side and put them on the left and right side.

If i bend something it has to be a perfect bend to not get any slack.
Probably have to do something similar if the custom brackets are to pricey.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 117 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing