My fantasy rig (for now)

After seeing so many threads of alu-rigs i decided to give it a crack myself.

3D program: Google Sketchup (dead easy, pretty much all the parts exist as 3d models)
Renderer: Keyshot 3 (looks SICK)

Parts used:
80/20 on Ebay
45x45mm is the only pieces used for now, just started.

(wood is just to get some nice contrast)

As you can see it´s just the start, materials used for the looks are some wood and Titanium.

Will update when there´s progress, still haven´t decided on a few things.

Damn... :(
But do you think i could get the distance to the holes? diagonal or square, doesn´t matter.
That way i can pre-drill it and whenever those wonderful pedals arrive i´m fit for fight :)

-
Last and final update!
It is finished, could not sleep last night because i just kept thinking of it, have sat for three days straight now and i love it.. the challenge, not the cockpit even though it´s cool too :)

Managed to find a Swedish dealer with 45x45 profiles and brackets etc.
Brackets look like crap and so does the T-screws but who cares it´s not a beauty contest.
Form follows function with this one :)

Basically for the 662 USD i get the whole rig, with brackets and including a wooden bench which i will only use half of or so.

It was pretty cheap and looks pretty good, very thick as well for stability. (2,6mm)

Bench i can probably pick up myself but will probably have to pay for shipping for the aluminium.
Could only order raw lengths once you got past 6 meters of profiles so i´ll get three 6m profiles (45x45).
And one 2m piece (45x90)

What´s left are the custom parts, like VESA stand and custom brackets to hold the
triple stand. The pieces you can see below here,

Last pieces i could probably pick up at work or something.
And i don´t think the other pieces will be that expensive, pretty straight forward 90 degree stuff with some holes in them.

And the last couple of renders of the rig.

Also made this video to showcase the longitudinal adjust-ability of the rig.

Upvote 0
I don't know if you've seen this before but I can't get over how awesome this thing is (may be relevant, maybe not)

dkf100.jpg

I found this on insidesimracing.tv. The guy works for Williams F1 as a simulator engineer and this is his personal cockpit. I just love the stuff people are making with 8020.

Sorry for throwing a random thing into your thread. Just thought you might see something that maybe you didn't see yet, or didn't think of...

Upvote 0
Found a site which includes cutting of material which is just fantastic, and it´s about a 5min car ride from where i live.

Problem is price is pretty hefty still... around 5000SEK and that´s excluding the wood and custom parts..
All this independent modularity costs a shitload of money with all the brackets and stuff.

Might have to create a new one that is much smaller and cheaper and where more things are fixed together.

Upvote 0
I do everything in metric :\ Can you reduce the size by 25.4x ? If I am correct, you'll need to rescale it by a factor of 1/25.4 or 0.03937 - the width is 12.5" (IIRC), and the rods on the frame are .375" in diameter.

Upvote 0

I realized they probably don´t ship overseas so i abandoned the 8020 company but since all companies have the same material only different attributes to them (like the center piece being a star instead of a square or similar) i felt like i might as well buy it in Sweden directly.
Found one extremely close to where i live, 5 minutes with the car so that was nice :)
And they cut everything for free so i can just type in how long and how many pieces i want.
And get it cut at 45 degree angles or similar.
You gave me a great idea there Rupe :)
Have to check with that company if they do Anodized black :)

I made a new rig, much shorter and hopefully cheaper. Still retains the adjustability of the one above.
Here are some pictures with Derek´s pedals in them, both regular and inverted :)
I´ve got some future plans that may or may not be reality ;)

Upvote 0
ok this is odd...

looked at my phone and saw a missed call.. 08 684 304 53 so search for it on the net and it seems a CAD company has called me up.

08 684 304 40 is the number to Solidworks Sweden.

I called back but got transferred directly to someone´s mobile phone so he had no idea who i was and i had no idea who he was.
I could not hear exactly what company he was from but i asked if they worked with CAD and he said yes.

Bit weird why they called me.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 186 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 365 28.1%