My experience with the Dorsche 99I pay mod

Last night, I paid €5 for the Dorsche 99I mod. That five euros would have been better spent on anything else.

On my first races with it, the car's unrealistic stability made me repeatedly exit the race to check the assists had not come on by accident. The car grips to the road in a similar style to Need for Speed's and Burnout's cars. I am able to turn hard while accelerating hard; spinning out/losing control on a corner takes real effort.

If this wasn't a pay mod, I wouldn't be too bothered. I'd have just deleted it and got on with things. But it cost this sucker five euros. Let's call it a learning experience.

Even pCars DLC are cheap (3-4€) and is official content, licensed and made by the devs of the game.

15-20€ makes me think about buying other stuff instead and searching it for free somewhere. Should be 3-5€ for the PX mod. Half the price of AC for unofficial content not as optimized as kunos cars? Mmmmm...no.

That's your opinion, many of us feel differently. I've put 5-6 hours in with the cars and had a blast. Already gotten my money back and then some.

The Dream Pack also came with 7-8 cars I only have a passing interest in driving, really I was mostly paying for the track... not that everyone should like the same cars as me, but if you want that specific porsche, I think it's a reasonable price.

THIS!!!! EXACTLY! ($5....I spend more on Coffee sometimes, so yeah, got my money worth)

when i opened it on 3dsimed i saw that it isn't "that scratch made"

Please post a screenshot or some kind of visual proof of your findings. Word alone these days in this forum means nothing, especially in video game forums.

"Pic or didn't happen" kind of thing.

On a slightly related note, if in fact it is "ripped", I'm actually glad it's ripped, because what EA does to Porsche's now is a sham, and I feel ripped buying 2 Shift games along with several other EA products that were "pushed out the door". Judging from the quality of the models that EA tends to make, then yes they are nice. To me it's a middle finger to EA and I love it! I'm sure the 3D artist would feel the same way as they were probably let go in a hire and fire scenario that EA usually does anyhow.

If you are there defending EA and trying to be on the good side, you might want to look at how horrible they are to their artists and production staff first. It's like working at any large corporation really, you fear for your job at times when quarter is coming close to a close.

This of course is my side of the fence as I have some close friends in the video game industry that are not too happy with the larger corp's.

lol

i have nothing against ripping content from other games :p
like a other modder said "I'm a modder without the scratch 3d modelling knowledge. I'm not a stealer, since i dont take credits for others ppl/companies work. I know they made it, they just made it for the wrong game:) So, for all those haters, stick to waiting, we stick to racing." :D

i just said the base is ripped because earn money with content what you just "edited" isnt that nice... if i would take money for every car i converted i would be rich now :D but i dont do it because it isnt right...

unbenannt-1.png

best example to show the base: left side is the original model loaded as obj in wavefront, right side the ac mod loaded in 3dsimed...
as i saw this part below the mirrors i knew where the model came from...

i currently convert the "dorsch" to gsc and i could use some of the original parts because they still fit perfectly...

and yeah that porsche thing is bad and i hope this will have an end... http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/09/ea-we-need-to-talk-about-porsche

i just said the base is ripped because earn money with content what you just "edited" isnt that nice... if i would take money for every car i converted i would be rich now :D but i dont do it because it isnt right...

I'm with you on that part. Cheers on that statement.

Good to point this out.

I took note of the interior, the whole cross brace is missing from the roll cage and on the floor the linkages and wires seem to end in no man's land. Granted those details are hardly seen, it helps from a replay stand point and when following another car you don't see that cross bracing.

On the flip-side, I do like the mod and appreciate the physics and continual effort they put into it. It seems the payment alone secured continual support instead of a port and dropping it. Seems as though some ports are like a "walk of shame" on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I still think I'm getting my money worth it...even though yes they did it on the shady side of grey.

Thanks for finding this.

My feeling exactly on the whole EA Porsche license. That article was actually a pretty good read (saw it before, but good to link it for others)...watching it closely.

Last edited:
If others are thinking of charging for their mods - and this starts to become the norm, they shouldn't be surprised if they get into trouble. Assetto Corsa is the property of Kunos, and surely a licence agreement would be required by third parties who intend to profit from the user base / the software itself; they should be paying royalties to Kunos.
All the best mods I've tried have been free with donations optional -- by far the better method.

...Assetto Corsa is the property of Kunos, and surely a licence agreement would be required by third parties who intend to profit from the user base / the software itself; they should be paying royalties to Kunos...

The problem with that is wouldn't the likes of RD running leagues that people have to pay to join also need a licence from Kunos? Or the YouTube/Twitch guys who get money from ads?

The problem with that is wouldn't the likes of RD running leagues that people have to pay to join also need a licence from Kunos? Or the YouTube/Twitch guys who get money from ads?
Possibly so, but when you join a place like this you get a lot for the membership fee (forum privilege, tuition etc etc) - so it's pretty easy to disguise what the fee is for. Unlikely that this would ever be persued.
A lot of this could be avoided by simply asking permission from the owners, which nobody seems to do these days.

As for the youtube channels -- absolutely, they could be made to pay. One games developer recently said this exact same thing - royalties should be paid by those profiting from showing videos of their games.
Some of the "youtubers" are making millions (e.g. pewdie) - totally wrong if they aren't paying royalties.

Possibly so, but when you join a place like this you get a lot for the membership fee (forum privilege, tuition etc etc) - so it's pretty easy to disguise what the fee is for. Unlikely that this would ever be persued.
A lot of this could be avoided by simply asking permission from the owners, which nobody seems to do these days.

As for the youtube channels -- absolutely, they could be made to pay. One games developer recently said this exact same thing - royalties should be paid by those profiting from showing videos of their games.
Some of the "youtubers" are making millions (e.g. pewdie) - totally wrong if they aren't paying royalties.

Well I tend to take the other view that RD (and others) by providing infrastructure for leagues, forums, etc. are keeping sims alive for many years and encouraging sales. Same with YouTubers as well. I wonder how many people bought GSCE after watching EmptyBox videos? (I did). Maybe the payments should be the other way?

lol

i have nothing against ripping content from other games :p
like a other modder said "I'm a modder without the scratch 3d modelling knowledge. I'm not a stealer, since i dont take credits for others ppl/companies work. I know they made it, they just made it for the wrong game:) So, for all those haters, stick to waiting, we stick to racing." :D

unbenannt-1.png

best example to show the base: left side is the original model loaded as obj in wavefront, right side the ac mod loaded in 3dsimed...

i currently convert the "dorsch" to gsc and i could use some of the original parts because they still fit perfectly...

and yeah that porsche thing is bad and i hope this will have an end... http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/09/ea-we-need-to-talk-about-porsche

so the highly praised assetto 991 mod is, contrary to their own promises, a conversion?
because on their site it clearly says:
100% selfmade – no conversion!

I believe a conversion would be a product being ported over to another game/language to represent a similar nature as the original content.. all the while using the same content.

Using a 3d-part and building your own thing ontop of that clearly isnt a conversion, although it is legally theft.

so the highly praised assetto 991 mod is, contrary to their own promises, a conversion?
because on their site it clearly says:
100% selfmade – no conversion!

after seeing everything on this car and redoing a lot things i would say its 80% conversion + 20% self made...

a 991 cup dosnt exist on any other game but a street 991, taking this car, convert it, model a splitter, wider wheel arches on the front, a rear wing and you will have a 991 cup... the people without any knowledge on modding wont see that it is a conversion with 3d updates so for sure you can say its selfmade...

So I have bought and tried the mod, and I have got to say, it drives really nicely. But I do have some questions:
1. I thought these cars didn't have TC or ABS. Were my settings set wrong, or does this car actually indeed have tc and abs?
2. Does this car really have super beast rebound damping? Because they almost seem to good to be true. I went around a street circuit, and went seriously airborne a couple of times, and the car took it with ease. Here's a video

So I have bought and tried the mod, and I have got to say, it drives really nicely. But I do have some questions:
1. I thought these cars didn't have TC or ABS. Were my settings set wrong, or does this car actually indeed have tc and abs?
2. Does this car really have super beast rebound damping? Because they almost seem to good to be true. I went around a street circuit, and went seriously airborne a couple of times, and the car took it with ease. Here's a video
Well, the ingame car just has spring rates that are 100,000 NM softer than the real thing comes with..so that could be part of it....

lol

unbenannt-1.png

so, where does the base model comes from? I think everyone here should know it!

Well, the ingame car just has spring rates that are 100,000 NM softer than the real thing comes with..so that could be part of it....

please, can you point other things "strange" in the physics please? on an other forum they claimed the car is developed using a real telemetry

please, can you point other things "strange" in the physics please? on an other forum they claimed the car is developed using a real telemetry
Most of it is fairly reasonable...but most things involving the suspension are seemingly incorrect (based on the info I have). Telemetry can only make sure that the performance is similar to the real thing, how it gets there, and what it feels like when it's there, are the important things (and ones that depend on correct data)...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 113 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 291 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.6%