My equipment is dreadful, I have hardly any money and no idea where to begin

I've been messing with sims on and off for around ten years. I've never been much good at them, certainly not enough to get on the track with other humans (I'd rather not race at all than be one of those pubbies people write horror stories about), but I do enjoy turning laps in Assetto Corsa or running hill climb stages at a relaxed "rich guy playing with his new sports car" pace. However, I'm (a) not really satisfied with tooling around like a grandma anymore and (b) my equipment, such as it is, is making it extremely difficult and, as I pass 30, physically painful to add pace to my driving.

I don't have any rig per se. I keep a complete Logitech G27 system in my closet and, when I want to drive, I push my keyboard back against the base of my monitor and clamp the wheel base down onto the lip of the desk. When I was 24, this was awkward but doable, though I gave up on trying to figure out the H shifter because the part I would clamp it onto (a slide-out tray originally meant to write a letter on, because this desk predates the invention of the PC by several decades) would wobble and shift around as I attempted to move the shift lever. At 30, it hurts. My right leg and ankle ache from fighting gravity, and as I get tired I lose the ability to accurately modulate the throttle because my leg just wants to give up and floor it. The wheel, pedals, and monitor never quite line up. I have one 30" monitor (LG 3840x2160 75Hz IPS, not fast, but I spend 80% of my time with it doing things that aren't video games and the screen is beautiful) and no room for additional ones as my audio rig (DAC, amplifier, external MIDI) and computer tower occupy the right half of the desk, and if I were to eat the massive bill for a new GPU and displays I'd just go VR and not have my view cut up like I'm driving a 1948 Hudson.

But the screen is really not the issue (it's an issue, but a strictly secondary one). The ergonomics are. The wheel and pedals being too low, the monitor too high, this dilapidated POS of an office chair that hurts even doing normal things in, let alone wrestling with a a ton and a half of '88 RX-7 that really doesn't like the way I took that last corner. What can I do, now, for the least amount of money possible, that will let me have some sort of rig that I can work comfortably enough in to turn consistent laps and not feel like I'm being interrogated by the CIA? I think I can worry about the display and the GPU and the wheel later, my equipment is broken on the fundamental level of ergonomics, without which no serious driving is possible. I need some way to have it away from the computer, so I can still use my PC to do productive tasks, listen to music, or play other sorts of games (good luck playing Doom wads with a steering wheel!).

P.S. Is there such a thing as a "standard" passenger car seat and can they easily attach to a rig? I'd love to pull a nice cloth sport seat (e.g. from a GTI) out of a junkyard, it would probably be cheaper than a racing seat and look better.

Wheelstand pro (only if your chair gets quite low!) or playseat challenge might be interesting too :)

Other than that, probably wood or 80/20 aluminum might be the best option.

Upvote 0
Lol I'm about to attach this £11 drift rim to my G29 so it could always be worse. But I feel your pain my setup almost sounds identical to your's in terms of the problems I'm having and there's no way I'm fitting a frame in my tiny room.

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_230444.jpg
    IMG_20180705_230444.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Lol I'm about to attach this £11 drift rim to my G29 so it could always be worse. But I feel your pain my setup almost sounds identical to your's in terms of the problems I'm having and there's no way I'm fitting a frame in my tiny room.
I dig real car parts in sim rigs. If I were rich and had a big house I'd have a full monty '90s hot hatch/sports car rig with a VW GTI seat, analog TFT gauges programmed to display '90s gauge faces with the square font, and, if it could be attached to a wheel base, a BMW E36 wheel (sans airbag of course!). But I'm not so...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Stand-...id=1530833232&sr=8-3&keywords=wheel+stand+pro
Will this work with a conventional rollie chair? I know a place that's got a high-backed leather executive chair (with brass rivets and those sunken knot things in the big fluffy cushions) they're ready to throw out. It's still extremely comfortable, but it's so ugly no one there wants to look at it. Hey, it's kinda sorta like a car seat. Like a '73 Imperial, maybe. :p

That's a lot of money for me right now, but not beyond saving up for, either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dig real car parts in sim rigs. If I were rich and had a big house I'd have a full monty '90s hot hatch/sports car rig with a VW GTI seat, analog TFT gauges programmed to display '90s gauge faces with the square font, and, if it could be attached to a wheel base, a BMW E36 wheel (sans airbag of course!). But I'm not so...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Stand-...id=1530833232&sr=8-3&keywords=wheel+stand+pro
Will this work with a conventional rollie chair? I know a place that's got a high-backed leather executive chair (with brass rivets and those sunken knot things in the big fluffy cushions) they're ready to throw out. It's still extremely comfortable, but it's so ugly no one there wants to look at it. Hey, it's kinda sorta like a car seat. Like a '73 Imperial, maybe. :p

That's a lot of money for me right now, but not beyond saving up for, either.
Got exactly that one :)
It wobbles under heavy force feedback but I kinda like that haha. Pedal distance is good, but still the same angle like standing on the floor so a bit too vertical from a seat. I drive like that for 1.5 years now, still no pain anywhere!

Now to the measurements:
upload_2018-7-6_9-19-7.png

And too quick pictures for you. Not pretty but might help :)
The little wooden thing below the table stops the wheelstand at about 40cm fromthe wall with the desk ending at 96cm from the wall. G27 is about 3cm from the desk when racing.

I'm happy but the Wheel-Plate could need another 5cm but the steel-pipe ends there, sadly.
upload_2018-7-6_9-19-53.png

photo_2018-07-06_09-20-24.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years