My custom Happ-F430 steering wheel

This is my custom Happ-F430 steering wheel...

dsc05134u.jpg

In 2008 I have found this topic...
http://home.comcast.net/~mshaker/marks_arcade_006.htm

So I have decided to make the same thing with an Happ wheel a Logitech Driving force and an AMC 30A8.

This is my first test...

You can compare the two motors. The Happ have a 90V 1.5A motor with belt transmission.

The ratio with the wheel is 2/1. To compare the ratio of the G25 is 1/16...

So the FFB is very stong and smooth...

With the wheel I have added the Bluetiger paddle shifter. And I have inserted the system in a HIFI 2000 Box...

img1635j.jpg

Test ingame with Rfactor Leo Bodnar plugin and CDTP mod. No sound to appreciate the silence...

Now I have changed the electronic of the Logitech Driving Force by the electronic of a F430 Thrustmaster and the system is ok too...

In an french arcade forum, Gameoover Aganyte has made a card to replace the AMC. You can see the topic here...

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=20242.0

I have not tested these card yet.

You can use too an immersion card that you can buy at GlobalVR to replace the Logitech or Thrustmaster electronic card and the amplifier The price of the card is 255$...

You can found the drivers for these card here...

http://www.immersion.com/products/touchsense-force-feedback/6000-series/electronics.html

But Immersion has announced the end of these card in december 2010...

So with a cost of approximatly maximum 500 $ (with a new Happ wheel 290$ for exemple, but mine cost 50$), you can have a FFB steering wheel 270° like a VPP...

For sure I have tested the F430 before open it and there is no comparaison with this two wheels. With the Happ system, no grind, FFB very accurate and precise. A very little bump is immediatly feel on the wheel, it's awesome...It's used in Bluetiger and Force Dynamic cockpits...

Another guy test now this system with a DFGT to have 900°. I'll inform you when it will be ok...

I think connecting the ground wires has made a difference =), but it's hard to say how much because at the same time i have made many changes to: power supply, gain adjustments, ffb settings in controller setting's, in game adjustments. Well anyway i am happy it is much better now !. The twitchy vibrations at centre are almost completely gone.

I don't know anything about it but i have a feeling the oscillating can also be improved by changing the resistance of the potentiometer to compensate for the lack of friction in the belt drive system. Have you changed the pot stef?. well, i will leave that until last and concentrate on finishing the case first.

Upvote 0
Video with mod DRM + Plugin Leo Bodnar on Eastern Creek Laser. Combo Thrustmaster + Happ. 270°

Mizoo continues with his homemade card, and I will follow him very soon. Same onboard video but with the last realfeel plugin. He prefers this setup...His table doesn't support more...:D Sterring wheel 320° enjoy...

Upvote 0
this is great work. Sorry i have no computer at the moment so i haven't been able to follow the progress of the custom pcb. My Happ/logitech is finished, i just need to prep and paint the caseing. I will post some photo's when i can. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Stef and Freeman. Good to see so much progress on these Happ projects. I still haven't got my Happ back from my friend because he's been sick. Anyway keep us posted on these projects, especially the one from Mizoo....WOW, that is amazing! How on earth did you manage to remove the physical rotational hard stops from the Happ? Did it cause any problems with any of the Happ's parts?

Upvote 0
How on earth did you manage to remove the physical rotational hard stops from the Happ? Did it cause any problems with any of the Happ's parts?
I just unscrewed the "stop block" and I block the wheel with the motor, like on G25 with steering angle less than 900°.
Old video of the system:
It's less brutal now.

Upvote 0
Hey what's up guys, Really Sorry i have been away a while and have been caught up with some ups and downs of life. I left the project in October in a almost finished state with only the USB cable to wire up. Well i'll be back on it this week so fingers crossed it will be finished.

Maybe a bad decision because i don't know if it will work, but i decided to cut the USB cable and put a DIN socket on the side of the box, so i have some very fine soldering to do now.

1080 Happ is looking good Mizoo =)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 413 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 280 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 276 11.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 191 7.6%