My cockpit 3D

Maybe he will become a reality.

The first version will have no spin adjustment at the steering wheel base and tilt throttle adjustment.
Once I master the measures involved will add fine adjustments.

I accept suggestions.

Att.

Leandro

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 252
Hi,

I just begin to plan my own aswell. I already have one, but it is made not of alu profile, but welded steel profile. There is two major problem with it:
  1. heavy
  2. there is a profile between my knees to hold the wheel mount part.
I have a wrecked seat from a BMW e30. It is comfortable but it is heavy aswell...
My suggestion is, if you made it from 8020 alu profile, don't skip the adjustable pedal mount. You will regret if you do. The other thing...my opinion is that not a good idea to adjust the seat at the backmost position. I like to tilt back the back of the seat (more comfortable to backbone) and it moves the centre of gravity to back, and make the whole rig instable. Although I don't know how do you plan to mount the monitors, coz if they will be mounted on the front, it could balance it a little.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just begin to plan my own aswell. I already have one, but it is made not of alu profile, but welded steel profile. There is two major problem with it:
  1. heavy
I have a wrecked seat from a BMW e30. It is comfortable but it is heavy aswell...
My suggestion is, if you made it from 8020 alu profile, don't skip the adjustable pedal mount. You will regret if you do. The other thing...my opinion is that not a good idea to adjust the seat at the backmost position. I like to tilt back the back of the seat (more comfortable to backbone) and it moves the centre of gravity to back, and make the whole rig instable. Although I don't know how do you plan to mount the monitors, coz if they will be mounted on the front, it could balance it a little.
Hi,
Thanks for the practical feedback on pedal adjustment. Soon I will review the project and post some images.

Upvote 0
Maybe he will become a reality.

The first version will have no spin adjustment at the steering wheel base and tilt throttle adjustment.
Once I master the measures involved will add fine adjustments.

I accept suggestions.

Att.

Leandro
I'd recommend to mount the steering wheel and pedals higher. The top op your wheel should be about as high as your chin. Move the wheel closer so your arms are not stretched.

Upvote 0
Hi,

1. heavy
Project revised!

Upvote 0
Yeah, looks better. The big advantage of the 8020 profile is the adjustability. So if you leave the pedal adjuster part longer (the two short horizontal part at the and of the pedal frame) you can play with the fine tuning of the pedal mount frame.

The other experince with my old rig is the stands. Firstly, I used to use rubber stands, similar to these:
1577269859880.png

The rig obviously wasn't as stable as without them, and - due to the weight of the rig - it was almost impossibile to moving it on the floor (and especially on the carpet). Later on the rubber stands had been replaced to lockable wheels, but it made the rig more instable during the gameplay.
So I decided to use some easily removable wheel or something like that, and I find this:
Here is a video where you can see how it works:
So the wheels is not loaded with weight only when you moving the rig....just an idea

One more question: Do you already have a seat, and if yes, what kind is it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice rig, I'm very impressed!
Mounted my own wood rig ergonomics based, some years ago.
Dimensions were finetuned over time and the "final" version is closely proportional to yours and I'm very happy with results.
This is just to say you will need to use the facilities those aluminium profiles provide to finetunning to your liking.
Just one more thing, how are your plans to mount the monitor(s)? Independently? Consider to place them as close as possible although I know you will run some searches over there.

Upvote 0
Yeah, looks better. The big advantage of the 8020 profile is the adjustability. So if you leave the pedal adjuster part longer (the two short horizontal part at the and of the pedal frame) you can play with the fine tuning of the pedal mount frame.

The other experince with my old rig is the stands. Firstly, I used to use rubber stands, similar to these:
View attachment 340603
The rig obviously wasn't as stable as without them, and - due to the weight of the rig - it was almost impossibile to moving it on the floor (and especially on the carpet). Later on the rubber stands had been replaced to lockable wheels, but it made the rig more instable during the gameplay.
So I decided to use some easily removable wheel or something like that, and I find this:
Here is a video where you can see how it works:
So the wheels is not loaded with weight only when you moving the rig....just an idea

One more question: Do you already have a seat, and if yes, what kind is it?
Interesting about the idea of rotating bearing points. I will study your idea with something similar to what is already in the current project. A rotating system will facilitate movements in the room. About seat, I haven't picked it yet. I will leave the design adjustable for street and GT car seats. The idea is to evolve technically before thinking about making the cockpit.

Upvote 0
Nice rig, I'm very impressed!
Mounted my own wood rig ergonomics based, some years ago.
Dimensions were finetuned over time and the "final" version is closely proportional to yours and I'm very happy with results.
This is just to say you will need to use the facilities those aluminium profiles provide to finetunning to your liking.
Just one more thing, how are your plans to mount the monitor(s)? Independently? Consider to place them as close as possible although I know you will run some searches over there.
I am using CAD technology to simulate something very close to the real. I am having difficulty in ergonomic proportions between seat, driver and pedals. For, these proportions define the dimensions of the cockpit. Our friend @Insert Coin is helping me. Soon I will make some adjustments. On the displays is still fully open. When I finish the current project I will start thinking about the monitors. They greatly influence the center of gravity of the set. The important thing is to exchange ideas with those who already have a cockpit.

Upvote 0
I will leave the design adjustable for street and GT car seats.
I'm looking at using the frame from a secondhand electric recliner to have a fully adjustable driver's seat, to create a seat that will go from modern F1 to truck driver. Naturally the pedals need a height/distance adjustment for the whole seating range, but the seat needs to come first.

Unlike electric car seats, electric recliners don't require purchasing a power supply. You do, however, have to rip out the frame and build a seat on top of the frame. I have found a few secondhand recliners for less than $100 USA in my nearest city which is much less expensive than most electric car seats from a junkyard. Here is an example to give you some ideas.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at using the frame from a secondhand electric recliner to have a fully adjustable driver's seat, to create a seat that will go from modern F1 to truck driver. Naturally the pedals need a height/distance adjustment for the whole seating range, but the seat needs to come first.

Unlike electric car seats, electric recliners don't require purchasing a power supply. You do, however, have to rip out the frame and build a seat on top of the frame. I have found a few secondhand recliners for less than $100 USA in my nearest city which is much less expensive than most electric car seats from a junkyard. Here is an example to give you some ideas.
It is a practical way to encompass all automotive categories.
Next week I will review the project with a GT style seat. There is more technical literature on the internet.

Upvote 0
I trust you know to have the big screen not attached to the rig? That way you avoid jiggling the screen as you bounce in the seat and jerk the wheel and stomp on the pedals.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years