My AMS2, ACC and iRacing Comparison

TedBrosby-

Premium
I made a video where I talk about it a bit:

But for those who don't want to view it (I understand my voice might be annoying lol) -
FFB & Physics: I actually like the FFB and physics of AMS2 more than iRacing, but of course it doesn't feel as good as ACC.
I had no issues catching slides or driving at the limit, I could tell when I was locking up my brakes, driving over rumble strips and curbs and I definitely felt the grip in the wheel.
I did set my gain to 65% because the default FFB was quite strong (at least for the Ginetta GT4 and Ultima GTR) and I got tired of feeling like I just did a P90X workout after driving a few laps.

AI Behavior: I liked it way more than ACC, but it wasn't as good as iRacing. A few of the AI drivers even passed me to make a final push to get ahead of me on the final few tenths of second in a race. And when I broke late, AI would move to avoid being rear ended by me. The AI is inconsistent though, some of the cars/tracks I drove had poorer AI performance, but if they can code all the cars to be as good as the Ultima GTR for AI, I think you could have a decent time racing against AI. Nothing is as good as iRacing's AI of course, but it's also limited. They don't even have GT3 cars in iRacing AI, but the AI for Kia Optima is quite good. ACC's AI is the worst. Even at 100% skill/aggression they kept punting me off the track even when I left plenty of space.

VR: iRacing's VR is better, but AMS2's VR is pretty good. I tried everything to make ACC VR look good - custom VR files, configurations, super sampling, disabling post processing, nothing works. I kept feeling sick when I look out of the windshield, but I've done 60 minute races in VR in iRacing no problem, played through HL Alyx for 4 hours without a break and in AMS2 I could do multiple online sessions in a row without issue. In PC2 I had to tweak the settings to make it look good but AMS2 looks good out of box.

Menu and Setup: There's some bugs, like voice chat isn't implemented yet and sometimes you get stuck in a cooldown lap loop after a race. There's also a weird VR bug where the legs of the cockpit avatar are clipped through the seat and it looks like he mangled his legs in a lawnmower lol. But I do really like the track selection UI. It's really easy to see what version of the track, how many turns it has.

Overall:
iRacing - If you want multiplayer match making and leagues where you compete against everyone in the world. If you have a deep wallet and if you race primarily in VR and want a single sim that does everything really well.
ACC - If you main GT3, the VR doesn't bother you (some people don't mind how it looks after modding it) and you have a league/club you participate in, this sim honestly has the best FFB/physics of any sim I've driven. And I like the crew chief, hearing him makes me feel like a pro driver lol. "Car right. He's still there. Clear right."
AMS2 - If you want a sim that doesn't do one thing the best but seems to be really balanced in car type, track type, FFB and physics variety, I feel like AMS2 has a lot to offer. If you could find a good league/club, this would probably be a good "one sim for a lot of different stuff" sim.

Of course, it'll be a lot better when the bugs are fixed, but I was expecting it to be some incomplete piece of crap based on how everyone here was talking about it, but it's really fun. I think before you make some absolute statement about which sim is better, you should consider that more competition is better for everyone. And AMS2 is better in some ways, in my opinion, and worse in others, but you can't dismiss the areas it's better just because you feel so passionately about the ways that it isn't. Instead of being angry, why not provide the developers with a list of issues? Anyway, I like it, especially the GTR Ultima and the Ginetta GT4. And if you wanna really have a good time, hop into the retro F1 cars and drive with all your assists off. ;)

Oh and if devs read this, here's some issues I had:
1. After finishing an AI race in Brands Hatch in the Ultima GTR, the replay function was broken. After tapping the fast forward button, the replay froze and I could no longer restart it or modify it.
2. After finishing an AI race in Brands Hatch in F3, I tried to pit stop after my cooldown lap, when all the pit slots were full, my car drove right past the pit stops and AI kept driving my car in the cooldown mode. The pause menu didn't let me finish the race or return to the pit lane, I had to exit the game which caused me to lose my replay and not see the session results.
3. Some of the cars have deformed legs for the avatar, you can see this when you drive in VR. The legs for the stock cars in particular look pretty gnarly.
4. ETA on voice chat?
5. The in game audio is quite loud. Even when I lowered master volume, the engine sounded like a screaming banshee.
6. In online race in a hosted session, admin had to force start the race when qualifying finished. Super V8 in Bathurst, 10 minute qualifying, cars were stuck in pit lane and race session didn't start.
7. Collisions only have audio and of course the car itself is impacted, but there's no FFB from the collision itself. It's not until my car rotates that the wheel itself moves, but taps and bumps aren't felt.

Mod Edit: Title changed to be a title, instead of the first paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with most of what you're saying. ACC is the benchmark for FFB/physics right now with iRacing a close second. The biggest issue I have with AMS2 is the FFB. It just feels like it's providing too much noise and not a lot of precision. There are definitely some traits from PC2 that carry over unfortunately.
The rest of the AMS2 package is very solid though. I'm hoping they'll get it together and are able to find some ways to close the gap.

Hmmm, seemed pretty balanced review in my opinion.. .and Kudos to you for providing a writeup and not forcing people to click the video (a rarity these days).

Thanks! Admittedly, I'm a peasant casual. So honestly I think people should take my review with a grain of salt because:
1. I don't use addons or mods. IRFFB? Just using Jack Spade's FFB for PC2 felt like a drag to me. I have about 2 hours to race, if I'm lucky, two or three days a week... So no real time for tweaking.
2. I've only played iRacing up to B license, Skip Barber, a few VRS sprints with 488 GT3, advanced MX-5, but I've never seriously driven the 911 Cup or any of the cars a lot of people drive. Also never done high downforce in iRacing like F4 or formulas beyond Skip. I just don't want to spend money like that. I like GT3.
3. I don't spend a lot of time tinkering with settings. Honestly if a game has horrible settings out of box, it's probably getting refunded on Steam. That's part of why I like iRacing so much. iRacing's FFB out of the box is really good IMO for a casual driver. The most you have to do is set your wheel power and a strength % and then just drive. Even the default car configurations are good enough for bottom split competing. I know some of you will disagree with that, but maybe you guys don't remember bottom split racing much? Staying on the track and not wrecking in turn 1 gives you like a 50% chance of being podium.
4. I've never driven AMS1, so I can't make definitive statements about it. I'm a "recent" sim racer. Even Assetto Corsa for the most part I've only driven to try out my childhood dream cars. I will say AC's force feedback is pretty nice, but I think part of it is that they have such a wide range of cars from like, formula to consumer GT86, that it's the closest you can get to "driving your mom's car on Spa" type of simulator, which is kind of cool, but I admit it might have limitations with faster cars that I never had enough experience to learn about.
5. Immersion is like 95% of the reason I do sim racing. I don't wanna be iR 3000+. I just wanna be able to do proper race craft, keep different cars on the pavement and be a few seconds off the pace for a "good lap" and know what the different car settings do.

This honestly probably makes me like less than 5% as knowledgeable or an expert as most guys here, so honestly my video is probably useless here unless you're a casual like me lol.

ACC ffb is not better to me.Infact ACC ffb lags behind rf2 ams1 and 2 ,r3e ,even AC has better ffb imo.

You must not have driven R3E after their recent patch.
That game feels like Real Racing 3 to me.
But I might be biased since I don't like messing with settings and it took me 30 minutes playing around in the FFB/controller menu just to make R3E have actual FFB and not feel like my steering rack was in a bucket of mud.

If any game that calls itself a simulator puts menus where I cannot see them because they are behind my wheel (the tool you put in front of your monitor when playing a simulator), I can only imagine how their meetings go. Perhaps everyone at the table is afraid of pointing out the obvious problems? The meme of of the guy getting thrown out the window?

I am talking of course about ACC.

It can be good in a lot of things, but they do not make it easy to enjoy it. But at least I get my daily workout having to press ESCAPE and having to enter a Menu whose options I cannot see, in order to tweak the driver seat. Something I only need to press WASD in other sims without having to stop the car.

It has to be people afraid of pointing out the obvious. Or console money greed - because it was obviously designed around a dualshock and a TV 3 meters away.

If everyone at the table freely agreed with this menu, what else have they failed on... They do not even need to pay for dedicated staff to find these things. Lots of people whiling to beta test for free.

Given the cost of IRacing, no consumer simulation software should be able to be mentioned in the same breath.
The fact that it can even be compared is a win for AMS2 right off the bat.
That's just my take.

I probably should’ve touched on this more in the video. The only reason I compared them is because they’re all I’ve driven. I haven’t driven rFactor 2 and I barely got R3E the other night and the premium pack so I can’t really compare it (R3E has been a nightmare for me personally, And I think it’s hilarious how much people are criticizing AMS2 for being incomplete when R3E requires you to use a GitHub fork of OpenVR for the Rift S to not have the frame rate of a Nintendo 3DS in it, and the default FFB settings make R3E feel like a Tokyo Drift arcade game with mud and rocks in the steering column.

iRacing is definitely the golden standard, but what makes me feel like AMS2 has a lot of potential is - it has so many tracks and car types by default and some of them have bugs but a lot of them don’t, and the actual race itself is very enjoyable. Yeah the replay menu is broken and I got stuck in a Groundhog Day cooldown lap lol, but the race itself felt good. It’s early to tell though but if they can make every AI race as good as the AI race I did with Ultima GTR in Brands Hatch, we might have the best vs AI simulator for VR sim racers I’ve ever tried. I’ve heard R3E has great AI racing, I’ll let you know after I go through my configuration purgatory....

You must not have driven R3E after their recent patch.
That game feels like Real Racing 3 to me.
But I might be biased since I don't like messing with settings and it took me 30 minutes playing around in the FFB/controller menu just to make R3E have actual FFB and not feel like my steering rack was in a bucket of mud.

Read my post again I said r3e

Read my post again I said r3e

dude I read your post. That’s why I said “you must not have driven R3E recently”.
https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-guide-december-2019.14067/

32 pages of people who have similar issues to me getting FFB to feel right. FFB is entirely subjective.You can’t just say “all these sims have better FFB than ACC cuz I said so”.
All it takes is one person disagreeing with you and your statement is false.
And I said in my opinion, not absolutely, that I like ACC’s physics and FFB more than iR.
Also I like world movement and high road details. I drive better with them. I run AMS2 with world movement at 100 in VR and it feels the most comfortable to me.
reminds me of driving my GTI Cup on a road course.

• Deleted member 197115

ACC FFB on SC2 is just sublime in my book, it tells you so much what is gong with the car without unnecessary and distracting "chatter".
Some prefer more chatter, and this is fine, FFB is subjective after all.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.4%