My 2 biggest gripes...

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
I have over 720 hours clocked in Assetto so please dont think I am Trolling or whatever.
The 2 things that bug me most about Assetto is 2 inconsistencies
1. Inconsistent driver view - I now pretty much only use the 'hood cam' as I am totally fed up with messing around trying to get the driver view right for me every time in every car. In theory the onboard 'reset' or 'auto-position' should do it, but nope. Every car is totally different...sometimes the hands on the wheel are huge...sometimes small. This makes the feeling of speed different in every car. If it was just mods I could understand it but its the official cars. I just want to get the view set up as i like it and have it apply to every car.
2. Inconsistent AI - It seems strange to me that I can have a decent race...maybe even win...on 1 circuit...but with everything set exactly the same just a different circuit I will get my backside handed to me on a plate big time. How are you supposed to setup a championship or whatever with such massive differences in AI behaviour from track to track. Again...if it was just the mods I could understand it but its the official tracks too.
These 2 problems make the sim feel a little 'disjointed' to me...Like its all bits and pieces taken from all over the place and put together.
Again please dont think I am Trolling...I love Assetto and since I bought it in early access I have become addicted to it lol...spending way to much money on my rig etc.
Regards

1. hood cam has crazy wide fov .. I would avoid it, try dashboard cam .. that one is pretty consistent across all cars .. or just use camera app to adjust your seating in every car .. you only have to do it once per car

2. yep. AI is not good .. better than it was ... give `em another year ;)

Not suggesting you don't have a problem, but it's interesting that imo i'm able to set the driver view in AC more to my liking than in most other sims. Obviously it has to be tweaked individually for every car, but once it's set i hardly touch it again. I always keep the driver arms hidden and the wheel visible almost exclusively in some of the open wheelers.

The view probably has a great deal to do with hardware and setup so here's mine:

I use a 40" monitor on 3840x2160. My eyes are positioned about 75cm from the screen roughly 10cm down from the upper bezel. My wheel is as close to the screen as possible and with a 35cm rim i can see the dash just about perfect "through the wheel". I usually set up the view with the virtual steering wheel visible and just line it up with the controller wheel and finally hide the virtual wheel. With some cars this requires a small adjustment of the tilt. Atm i have my FOV in AC at 42. That's not exactly what FOV calculators suggest but it works best for me.

With these setting i can't see the side mirrors, but CrewChief and virtual mirrors covers up for that more than enough :)

Cheers!

I use cockpit view exclusively. Sure, it takes a minute or two the first time you drive each car to adjust the camera and get it exactly as you want it, but as the others have said, it's a one-time thing. Once it's done, hit 'save' and forget about it forever.

As for the AI, while AC's is pretty poor, I find the same speed issue in most sims I've played. Race 07, rFactor, rFactor 2, Automobilista... there always seem to be some tracks where the AI is too fast and others where it's too slow, making consistency impossible to achieve. A shame, but AI is never a strong point in games/sims unfortunately.

I don't know about you guys, but when I drive a different car IRL I have to take a minute to adjust the seat/steering column/mirrors to fit my body too. Call it part of the sim experience...

The AI also seems to drive more competently than most of the traffic I encounter on public roads, while we're on the subject of RL. :D

The one part of AC's driver cam defaults that confuses me is that they all seem to have random 3-5 degree tilts downward.

I just want the camera to look straight forward...

As for AI it'd be nice if the range you got from picking a certain percent could be widened... if they're all exactly 97% then it's win-all or lose-all depending on the track, if they were say 93-100% then I'd find my place somewhere in the middle on most circuits, and I could drop it to 90-97% if I wanted to win everything.

Aye...I realise that a little tweaking is always necessary...but I find the differences between the different vehicles are quite major and any major adjustment throws the fov I have on triple monitors completely out of the window to the point where I have to open the triple monitor app to change things again to get the feeling of speed.
Regards

I tried the 'light' version for an hour or so and then donated immediately - I would have donated even if nothing else had been unlocked; CM really is that good, especially if (like me) you race exclusively off line against AI.

Well worth every penny, and I can't recommend it enough!

Sorry @Keith Gregg for hijacking your post, but since we're on the subject, what about if one decides to quit using CM? I can see it's only a standalone exe-file, but it'll probably do some of it's magic in the AC install directory so i'm just wondering. Couldn't find any documentation either.

As far as I know the only thing it'll modify is the files in your user folder (C:\Users\you\Documents\Assetto Corsa\) in the same way the default launcher does. So going back is just a matter of maybe re-clicking settings in the regular launcher if CM was giving values that it doesn't support (eg. launcher uses ~7 weather types with fixed settings, CM is more flexible).

That plus some system settings that the regular launcher doesn't show but those don't need to be reset to use the regular launcher, you'd just be stuck with the values it chose.

So what is it that people like so much about the launcher? I gave the lite version a look over last night, and didn't really see anything that made me want to pay money for it... or use it all, for that matter. All it did do was change a load of my settings, which I then had to manually change back again. Not saying it's worthless or anything, I just don't get what people are raving about. :O_o:

You can use CM to make custom showrooms and have it update your preview pictures automatically and also add/remove content and info...but I think most other things it does dont touch anything in the Assetto folder as far as I am aware.
Regards

So what is it that people like so much about the launcher?

Well, for starters there's the actual content management features, i.e. mod cars/tracks, which is justification enough if you run a lot of mod content. (Or create it - I use it all the time when doing car mods. Good for preview pictures, error checking, UI file/tags editing, sound swapping after FMOD updates break everything, livery management, etc.)

As a launcher, for me the primary attraction was the integration of the good/bad weathers mod and the 'real conditions' weather option. (It searches real-world weather at the location of the track, then sets the temperature and game weather to the nearest possible option from the ~35 available in the g/bw mod.) This feature alone would have sealed the deal for me. Peter's weathers are transformative.

Another nice bit is the AI, as was already mentioned. If you primarily play offline, setting a range of AI skill may seem like a minor detail but it really makes races a lot more interesting. You can also set up grids and save them as presets, really convenient if you tend to run the same 'matchups' a lot.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back