AC MX5Cup @ ROAD ATLANTA, Wednesday 17th March 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I've checked all the refresh rates so they are now set to 60hz.
I've limited the fps to 60
I've set "Skip FFB Steps" to 1

This is the start

start-v2.png

this is lap one

onelap-v2.png

I am using CM :)

Where would I check if I'm messing with vsync,gsync,freesync,etc ?

I can see from the replay I'm bouncing round a bit - sorry guys!

Last edited:
I've checked all the refresh rates so they are now set to 60hz.
I've limited the fps to 60
I've set "Skip FFB Steps" to 1

This is the startView attachment 455903

this is lap one

View attachment 455904

I am using CM :)

Where would I check if I'm messing with vsync,gsync,freesync,etc ?

I can see from the replay I'm bouncing round a bit - sorry guys!
Are you available for a discord or TeamSpeak session?
It might be interesting for everyone else but it would speed up this specific case a lot if we could talk :)

The basics are written down if anyone else has the same problem. Your "REND" and HUD are pretty high. I think we could optimize a few things to get your cpu pushing out higher fps.
The start is now dropping to below 60, and the physics problem is happening due to this.

I still have to have a look at the reply, I was bumped from behind on the uphill chicane at half race but I don't think it was you, I spun and lost lots of time. Will try to clarify with the counterpart once I see who he was.
I believe that you bumped me on the last chicane? Had you the same yellow car as I had? If so, that didn't harm me too much (except for my self esteem, that is)

It was indeed you @Goblin616.. Actually I lost time because I spun due to the bumps. I couldn't recognize you because of the name, I thought it was Frank Anthony but maybe I am confusing you with some other chaps?
The yellow car I mentioned, on the other hand, was @JamKart22 's instead. Don't know if he was a little late on the brakes or I narrowed the turn too much.

Is there any secret in perfectly nailing T7? I understand that with such a long straight immediately afterwards you have to apply the throttle as soon as possible, but the largest part of the time I lost was on the turn itself. I think I almost never got it well in the race (while it surprised me that I could break the 1.40. wall in quali)

It was indeed you @Goblin616.. Actually I lost time because I spun due to the bumps. I couldn't recognize you because of the name, I thought it was Frank Anthony but maybe I am confusing you with some other chaps?
The yellow car I mentioned, on the other hand, was @JamKart22 's instead. Don't know if he was a little late on the brakes or I narrowed the turn too much.

Is there any secret in perfectly nailing T7? I understand that with such a long straight immediately afterwards you have to apply the throttle as soon as possible, but the largest part of the time I lost was on the turn itself. I think I almost never got it well in the race (while it surprised me that I could break the 1.40. wall in quali)
Well I have a single screen and it's hard for me to hit the apex in T7 because at turn in I don't see it. So T7 is the main cause for mine inconsistent lap times.

The combination of T6+T7 is a bit weird. Basically the first turn is still the "braking zone". You need to make sure that you're on the exit kerb of T6 when braking and turning in for T7. Don't hit that kerb too much on the inside and floor the throttle as early as possible.
I didn't drive the MX-5 around this track yet though. Only GT4 and GT3.
Well I find it quite interesting and I would like to hear what the final solution will be.
We couldn't get real results yet since there wasn't enough time to do test runs without discord screen sharing active, but there were some things to optimize in CSP and AC apps.

In AC, the HUD apps are rendered in the same CPU thread as the rest of the "scene" afaik.
Every single icon, letter, number in any app will take some CPU time to be created, so getting the apps down to the very essentials is needed, when you're CPU limited.

Colin has:
- sidekick: it's pretty heavy but it also combines a lot of apps, so I'm using that one too!

- race essentials: basically no additional info that's actually important, so I suggested to disable it

- map display: it's a great app but it's also kinda heavy on the CPU so I'm only using the standard trackmap, which is mostly fine to avoid incoming cars

- default leaderboard (F9): I have it disabled. I'm not using any leaderboard.. I see my own position and the realtime app shows the closest cars. This also helps to not become too frustrated and rather enjoy the battles close to you, no matter your position :)

Here's my HUD:
Rasmus_HUD_Apps.jpg

Left to right:
- Track Description (not really essential)
- Track map
- Realtime
- Sidekick (I switch from pressures to wear after qualy)
- Helicorsa
- ACRL Fuel (I love the time calculation!)
- Tyres (So I can spot cold or hot tyres without concentrating)

Then we cut CSP down to the "get performance" stuff instead of the "Kill my graphics card" stuff :p

Here's the CPU config I did a few weeks ago to test something. Note: Version 0.1.72 introduced some further optimizations but now you get shadows on your windscreen that are "flickering" (like it is in reality, standard AC is too clean when passing tree rows left and right of the road...).

Anyway I put my configs for 0.1.60 and 0.1.71 in a Dropbox Folder that will stay online.
Please read the "ReadMe.txt" first :)

In general, you should enable the Graphics Stats Developer app and check what part of the rendering chain has a higher value than what's normal.

My HUD value is below 1 for example. For Colin it was above 3. When at the limit, 2ms is a big number!
It's difficult to tell what's a good value though... MY CPU might take 3ms for something, while a new Ryzen 5800x might only take 2ms for the same things to render.

And of course, you should have nothing running in the background, that uses some CPU power.
I'm 24/7 logging loads, temperatures etc via OpenHardwareMonitor with a loggin interval of 5s.

That's using about 0.1% CPU.

Having hwinfo64 with the default update interval in the background would use 1-3% CPU.

Last edited:
Big thanks to @RasmusP for his time and patience.

I had to revert back to 0.1.7.1 as 0.1.7.2 did something with Road Atlanta that screwed the track. 0.1.7.3 just crashed the game.

With the suggested changes I now get this for the start

start-v3.png

and this after the first lap

onelap-v3.png

If I'm still causing a problem for everyone at the next race then I'll just go back to a single monitor :-(

Last edited:

I had to revert back to 0.1.7.1 as 0.1.7.2 did something with Road Atlanta that screwed the track. 0.1.7.3 just crashed the game.

View attachment 455943

View attachment 455944

If I'm still causing a problem for everyone at the next race then I'll just go back to a single monitor :-(
Let's hope it's fine! We'll see on Sunday :p

About triple monitors: apparently the perspective splits are calculated in the rend part, so on top of everything else, directly tanking cpu related fps :(

We/you could try to setup Nvidia surround again and use ac in "single screen" mode.
The side will be very distorted, but you wouldn't lose the side monitors!
Maybe you can flatten the side monitors so it would be more like the 49" Samsung super mega ultrawide monitor instead of "true triples".

Your graphics card has quite some power left in it so it would be a pity to not use all 3 monitors!

I still have to have a look at the reply, I was bumped from behind on the uphill chicane at half race but I don't think it was you, I spun and lost lots of time. Will try to clarify with the counterpart once I see who he was.
I believe that you bumped me on the last chicane? Had you the same yellow car as I had? If so, that didn't harm me too much (except for my self esteem, that is)
I was in a green car and did indeed try to move up the inside on the top of the hill. In fairness the space was there, and helicorsa should have shown that I was there. Also there was space for both of us. I don't think you turned into me, and I'm not sure I ran into you. It could have been a bump caused by lag - but perhaps not. If Your race was ruined I apologise, it seemed like a very tight wheel-to-wheel race at that point, and perhaps was a bit rash in my attempt :)

View attachment 455943

View attachment 455944

In regards to these pictures - can somebody explain what each value is so we can all understand how to read these things? It may help us all to maximise our FPS and cut down our lag for racing which could improve things for all of us!

Last edited:
Excellent race after a two-week break! Ended up P10 with a new PB so that puts a smile on my face. :D

Sorry for the horrible timing @pattikins :redface: .... should have kept my line and I probably would have done less damage. Glad you ended up P1 but I took you out of a proper battle.

Thanks for the close racing @JamKart22 and @Giovanni Chiarotto it was quite enjoyable :). Jam, I not sure you are aware but you are jumping all over the track (connection reliability?) and it's quite tough to gauge overtakes, so, apologies if I messed you up at all.

Enjoy the rest of your week, everyone. Thanks for a great race and I'll hopefully see you all on Sunday!

Yeah, it's just the luck of the draw. I could see that you were trying to let me through:thumbsup:, but we both ran out of road :(.

I'd put paid to my chances of catching Yohann much earlier than that incident - Crew Chief kept telling me that my engine was knackered & so I tried summat 'new' @ T1. Naturally, it didn't work & I lost all the time that I'd previously clawed back :cry: . Congrats to Yohann for the victory & Han for third spot in a race that never was :roflmao:.

Last edited:
I was in a green car and did indeed try to move up the inside on the top of the hill. In fairness the space was there, and helicorsa should have shown that I was there. Also there was space for both of us. I don't think you turned into me, and I'm not sure I ran into you. It could have been a bump caused by lag - but perhaps not. If Your race was ruined I apologise, it seemed like a very tight wheel-to-wheel race at that point, and perhaps was a bit rash in my attempt :)

In my replay it doesn't seem we were side to side, but seeing how Colin was jumping here and there, it's not hard to understand that it may have been different seen from your side.
No worries. I managed to pass again few laps later in T5 when you spun in turn. T5 is unforgiving if you open the throttle too early or with just a little steering lock, I assume because it's uphill? I spun literally tens of times there when practicing offline, then I managed to find the right way to do it.

In regards to these pictures - can somebody explain what each value is so we can all understand how to read these things? It may help us all to maximise our FPS and cut down our lag for racing which could improve things for all of us!

Enjoy the read :)
That's why I jumped at Colin's issues, I wrote most of it yesterday already :roflmao:

@maxilogan I've been reviewing the replays now. I see that from my driver's perspective it looked like I could squeeze inside the turn. From the outside view the space looks much smaller! Also I did slow down after bumping, but not for long as I saw in my mirrors that you were back on track not far behind me - So I felt that I could continue going as you weren't too badly taken off. I was rash perhaps, but you see I had made up so much time in the last few laps, and was in a position to potentially overtake all three cars had we not bumped! I also thing you lost a lot of speed due to the other car bouncing around and that you had perhaps slowed down a lot (because you can see you were travelling much faster before..) and so I came up very quickly. I'm sorry for the bump + spin. How did your race go afterwards?

Camera 1 Camera 2

@maxilogan I've been reviewing the replays now. I see that from my driver's perspective it looked like I could squeeze inside the turn. From the outside view the space looks much smaller! Also I did slow down after bumping, but not for long as I saw in my mirrors that you were back on track not far behind me - So I felt that I could continue going as you weren't too badly taken off. I was rash perhaps, but you see I had made up so much time in the last few laps, and was in a position to potentially overtake all three cars had we not bumped! I also thing you lost a lot of speed due to the other car bouncing around and that you had perhaps slowed down a lot (because you can see you were travelling much faster before..) and so I came up very quickly. I'm sorry for the bump + spin. How did your race go afterwards?

Camera 1 Camera 2
I don't want to criticize you too harshly, you're very welcomed to race with us, as we said before the race :)

But the track limits are the white (yellow) lines inside of the kerbs.
For a gap to overtake, there needs to be at least 1 car width of space between the car in front and that yellow line.
Even from your onboard view, there barely half a meter between the car in front and the yellow line.
You then try to overtake across the kerbs, which isn't a legal overtake on one hand and a track limit violation ("cutting the track") on the other hand.

But most of us did stuff like that at some point, especially when we were new to online racing, so I'm not blaming you! :)

I just wanted to analyze this so you can learn from it.

I also thing you lost a lot of speed due to the other car bouncing around and that you had perhaps slowed down a lot (because you can see you were travelling much faster before..) and so I came up very quickly. I'm sorry for the bump + spin. How did your race go afterwards?

yes I lost some in front of you time because I was always scared of getting into Colin's car at a certain time, especially on that twisty part of the track.
The rest of the race wasn't too bad, I was disappointed because no matter what I tried (late brake, early brake, early apex, late apex) I couldn't get T7 well and constantly lost more than one second there, lapping around 1.42 when with just a little less fuel I qualified in the 1.39.9xx and managed to make some laps just over 1.40 :mad:
At least I did not make any major mistake (yeah, some oversteer here and there and one off-track excursion at the first chicane) like instead I did in other races, and managed not to spin in T5 which was my biggest concern. In the end I was relatively happy: I hoped it could've been my first top ten race, but I realized I simply hadn't the pace in the race that I had in the quali.. Still practicing for consistency, my best times are always peaks in an unstable graph, rather than little higher deviations from a steady line :(

Got taken out by someone cutting the apex on turn 1, they didn't say a word after. Obviously not running Helicorsa or Crew Chief or they would have known where I was. Not what I was expecting but oh well, racing incident I guess.

Denis always posts a link to a couple of guides for racing etiquette on his Thursday night rfactor 2 club races. After reading the guides, it might be worth taking a fresh look @ the incident.

Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2021.03.18 - 11.57.48.87.jpg

Last edited:

Camera 1 Camera 2
Hi Frank,

You're quite new and you admit that it was your fault so that's good. A case of misjudging the situation. That can happen and has happened to all of us and probably will happen again as you are building up experience.
But for the next races remember that this is a classic situation for the Golden Rule. So you had to wait for him and let him pass before continuing your own race.
Please keep that in mind for the next races and you'll be fine.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 316 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%